Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203108 - 07/23/02 05:03 PM Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
6 Reasons to buy an arranger keyboard:

1) Don't currently own one
2) Current keyboard is lacking or deficient in a specific 'needed?' feature(s)
3) Current keyboard's sound(s) are no longer good enough to you
4) Current keyboard no longer goes with the new decor/furniture in the house.
5) Just like having the 'latest' toy (with the most bells & whistles . . . toot toot !)
6) Dealer convinced you that if you buy it, you'll sound a LOT better (without practicing), and help send his kids to college too) - just kidding George & DanO

Questions:

How often (if at all) do you typically purchase/replace your arranger KB with a new one?

Are you currently looking for a 'new' arranger KB? If so, what above reason(s) (or other) lead you to this?

- Scott

#203109 - 07/23/02 05:08 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Scott.

Yes, I am looking for a new dream kbd ,that is the Uncle Dave project:
A Psr 2000 with UD features.
Chico

#203110 - 07/23/02 05:23 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's 6 more reasons......

1) I just want it... it's pretty
2) Fran has one ... I want one too !
3) It does this ONE thing that I reeealy need
4) It was so cheap, I couldn't resist
5) My other gear was lonely
6) I didn't want my competitors to have the last one!

My one and ONLY real reason:

To make my living, by accompanying myself. Period.

I don't really love ANY of the arrangers I've seen EVER. They are all just different degrees of substandard. Some are better than others, but they are all lacking something.
My bass guitars have no compromises,
my clarinet has none,
my flute has none,
my guitars have none

If all these instruments have fully evolved - why can't the world of electronics ever "level off" at an acceptable place that we can live with, and WORK with for a LONG time. Remember when all you needed was a Rhodes ...... or a Hammond .... or a DX7? Life was so simple then, and the choices were much easier - just reach in your pocket, and buy the tool that really worked. If you needed two or three, then you just has to get them, that's all. I carried a MOOG for YEARS as a bass. It was great too.

I can't remember EVER hearing so many diverse comments on good vs. bad in keyboards. There was always the personal taste issue, but at least the design features and reliability were there from the start.

How many Sax players ever switch horns after they get the good one? Look at your favorite bass or guitar players' amps - the ones that work a lot have the most wear on their gear. I was at a jam last night that had thirty year old gear ! It was very nice too. Acoustic piano, drums, bass, trumpet and me on clarinet. We had a ball, and NO NEW GEAR. None at all. Just friends making music to honor the memory of a fellow musician that had passed on. NO charts, no tip jars, no AUTO anything. Just good, solid, live entertainment.

I know I am among the most fickle, but it's not by choice. The manufacturers won't build what I need. I'd LOVE to have the same keyboard for the next 10 years and be happy, but that ain't gonna happen!

#203111 - 07/23/02 06:10 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
A question put forth by Scotty -
Are you currently looking for a 'new' arranger KB? If so, what above reason(s) (or other) lead you to this?

None of the above but I'll claim (or other).

Ruthie made me do it. She likes me!

Grandpa Doug

#203112 - 07/23/02 06:41 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
My reasons for a new KB:
1)I practice Masochism,
2)I enjoy seeing my bank account depleted.
3)I love to open new boxes.
4)I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have a KB problem to solve.
5)I love to bragg to the world I am able to afford the latest "plank".
6) I am fool! ..glutton for punishment.
I just can't wait for a new Tyros!
Mario

#203113 - 07/23/02 07:14 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Mario,

I like an honest man.

Grandpa Doug

#203114 - 07/23/02 07:16 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
rgtaa Offline

I guess I'm still happy with my psr9000 ...mainly because 10 years ago... I never would have imagined such a keyboard could exist ...
Imagine a accompliment that is chord sensitive, and sounds like a bass, guitar, sax, ect ... WOW!

I went from paino,organ,rock organ,welitzer,korg m1, roland xp50, then xp80 ... korg pa-80, to psr9000 .... WOW ... what advancement!

And I imagine I'll continue to be amazed with the passing years.

Just like with my computers, starting with a 286 processor with 1 floopy drive ... to the LASTEST in computers with FAST CABLE and WOW >>> INTERNET!!!! wow ... I remember 14k modems and local Bulliten Boards to relay computer messages!
We have come a long way BABY!

Nothing wrong with having visions of NEW KEYBOARDS ... and also Nothing Wrong with pausing and Remembering where we have come from the last 20 years! WOW!

#203115 - 07/23/02 07:31 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I guess I wanna have it "all" in one machine. Back in the 80's when I had the Yamaha CP25 as my electric piano and the Korg poly6 as my synth, I thought that I would never want or need another board.

It all changed dramatically for me with the advent of midi. So much potential, so much promise. Some of the promise has been fulfilled for me, while other aspects have been sheer disappointment.

I think Scott Yee's reasons 2 thru 5 definitely apply to me. A couple of Uncle Dave's work for me as well, especially # 1 and # 3. Also #2 ( substitute "anyone I know who has one" for "Fran" )

Mario has a clean sweep. All 6 of his definitely apply to me.

Am I looking to replace my current arranger ? i'm always looking at new toys. The PA80 has worked out best for me of all the recent models I've either owned or tried. I really still like it a lot, but I also have some serious issues with it ( see the recent PA80 topic ) and if I found something more suitable to me I'd replace it in a heartbeat. In contrast, my Motif ( non arranger synth ) seems destined to stay around for quite a long time.

AJ

#203116 - 07/23/02 09:33 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
[1]I wanna sound like a live band.
[2]I want it to be easy to use, easy to carry, and easy to afford. (just about in that order).
[3]I keep getting amazed and disappointed in the same package by each new keyboard.
[4]The entire cost of the new equipment comes right off the top of income (for tax purposes).
[5]The keyboard is the number one tool for my profession. I deserve the best tool possible.
[6]I can't dunk a basketball anymore, but I can still make girls sing along with me.
DonM

#203117 - 07/23/02 09:42 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Don,

amen to #1, #2 and #3

Eric

#203118 - 07/23/02 09:52 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
[1]I wanna sound like a live band.

Sorry, my friend - best you can hope for is to sound like a great keyboard player. Even the best of the best are not a real, true live sound. No sense in teasing yourself into something that will never be.

We have a real "niche" in this world of music, but - C'mon ..... it's STILL a canned imitation ... even though it sounds very good - even great sometimes.

Live band? Naw. (sometimes we sound even BETTER than that !)

#203119 - 07/23/02 10:27 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
ChicoBrasil Offline

Hi Don.

Amen for #1#2#3 as Eric.
A prefer my keyboard band because the kb musicians as sax man, piano man, etc don't like beer and never arrive delayed.
I have a total control over all musicians.
If I go well,Bravo! If I make a mistake, UUUHHH!
Chico

#203120 - 07/23/02 11:03 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
My reasons for a new KB:
1)I practice Masochism,
2)I enjoy seeing my bank account depleted.
3)I love to open new boxes.
4)I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have a KB problem to solve.
5)I love to bragg to the world I am able to afford the latest "plank".
6) I am fool! ..glutton for punishment.
I just can't wait for a new Tyros!
Mario

To add to Mario's list:

4 more Reasons for a NEW keyboard:

1) I love collecting BUGS !
2) I look forward to endless hours of reconfiguring, tweaking, & converting styles & sounds
3) I love unexpectantly (on the job), finding my lead voice suddenly transformed into Mini Mouse when I only wanted to add a female backup harmony singer to a romantic ballad
4) Keyboard manuals make great bathroom reading material.

- Scott

#203121 - 07/23/02 11:31 PM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
ChicoBrasil Offline

Hello Scott.

So, you must buy my dream keyboard (do you remember?)
New version upgraded
Look at special features:
1-Weight of PSR 9000 or Genesis
2-OS chip of PSR 2000
3-Navigation of Ketron
4-Keys of PSR 2000
5-Size of 9000Pro
6-Tech. support of Technics/Casio
7-Voices and Styles of MZ2000
8-Start stop and fill-ins buttons of Ketron
9-Vocal harmony of Technics
10-Owner's manual of Ketron
11-Touch screen of Rolad VA Series
12-Varyphrase of Roland VA Series
13-Modulation and pitch ball of Gem.
14-Price of Abacus
15-Design of Genesis (dressing table fashion)
Bonus:A complete style collection (CVP 209 inside!)

Chico www.compumusic.hpg.com.br

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 07-23-2002).]

#203122 - 07/24/02 01:39 AM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Chico, this looks more like a nightmare...

#203123 - 07/24/02 02:10 AM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
technicsplayer Offline

Chico's list was so funny...

you ask why people buy a new keyboard?
Easy.
So they can go on SZ and tell everyone else who has not got one that their existing ones are rubbish!

#203124 - 07/24/02 05:42 AM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Uncle Dave Offline

** DING **

We HAVE a winner !

#203125 - 07/24/02 05:58 AM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
rgtaa Offline

Technicsplayer!
Good one!

rgtaa

#203126 - 07/24/02 09:03 AM Re: Why we keep searching for a 'new' arranger Keyboard
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online