SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#160250 - 07/23/02 02:00 PM XD3 vs. X4 ?
mickey Offline

Greetings from a long-time lurker - first-time poster. Although I've been a full-time professional bassist most of my life, I can play a 6 string reasonably well. I've been toying with the notion of doing a solo act, as much of the band work has pretty much dried up around here. I encountered a gentleman awhile back who was doing a solo act with a MIDIed acoustic guitar and an MS40. I was impressed, and searching around the Web revealed that there was something even cooler out - the X4. I've been haunting the various sales venues and even bid on a few x4s on eBay, unsuccessfully. So now along comes the XD3 and hence my question: how much "better" is the newer unit, either intrinsically or for my purposes ? The corollary to that question is: "Is the difference in quality worth the difference in price I would have to pay at this point ?" I would estimate the street price of a used or NOS X4 at $1000 to $1500, fully loaded. Does that sound about right ? I have no idea of the current retail or discounted pricing for an XD3, however. Thanks for any insight any of you guys may have for me.

#160251 - 07/23/02 03:22 PM Re: XD3 vs. X4 ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
XD3 vs....X4 ? here you go ....

X4 has a dedicated 16 track sequencer and can sample . You can make patterns and record onto disk or hard drive with XD3 , but no dedicated sequencer or sampler .

X4 has 4 separate outputs vs 2 outs on the XD3 .

The navigation on the 2 units is very different .
The X4 has the styles listed on the bottom of the module . 198 styles divided into to groups A + B with X4 . The XD3 has 172 styles on board . With the XD3 you select a style catagory and all styles are listed next to fucntion buttons in the LCD display .

It's very different choosing styles and sounds on both units .

The XD3 will allow you to syncipate a drum loop from an arrangement to a midi sequence . The X4 can not do this .

The X4 has after touch and portamento . The Xd3 does not .

The XD3 is a little smaller in size and weight than the X4 .

One is silver and one is black !
Xd3 is a littel less money than the X4 !

that's it for now ...............gotta go !

dano at the PIANO MAN in

Catonsville Maryland 410 747 0200 or ketronguy@yahoo.com

#160252 - 07/23/02 08:51 PM Re: XD3 vs. X4 ?
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Dano would this comparison still hold for X1 vs. Vega?

Thanks

#160253 - 07/23/02 08:57 PM Re: XD3 vs. X4 ?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
For those who like to search for styles the numeric way, as is the X4 and X1, both the SD1 and the XD3 and XD9 will allow you to select the numeric mode rather than the group mode. However, the X4 and X1 can not be switched to the group mode method. I would also suggest that the Piano sound in the XD3 will be prefered over the piano sound in the X4. Ketron has given us the same sounding piano that is so popular in the SD1.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#160254 - 07/24/02 06:29 AM Re: XD3 vs. X4 ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Mosiqaar:
Dano would this comparison still hold for X1 vs. Vega?
Yes ! George's comment about the piano sample being better on the XD9 is important . XD3/XD9 has much better piano sample than X1 . I do not think the XD9 sample is the same as the SD1 ...close ....but not quite the same ! d
Thanks
.........your welcome ! *~*
dano

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online