SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202542 - 06/15/03 10:58 AM Getting into music business/gigs
KN_Fan Offline

Guys,
I know I'm gonna get a lot of good advice from you pros on this.

I've participated in two different (professional)projects before, both I got it through friends, so everything was cool. Yesterday I was in a restaurant and the owner turned out to be some kind of a music producer (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because I see some of his pictures with big name artist in the industry). He asked me for a demo tape when I mentioned I would like to play in his group or something.

Any advise on how I should pursue this? I don't know if I'm the one that should be saying "what kind of contracts are we going to be using" etc...getting paid....or even pro bono....

ANY advise??
KN

#202543 - 06/15/03 12:00 PM Re: Getting into music business/gigs
trtjazz Offline

Kn,
I would first give him the best possible demo you can put together and see if he's even interested before you start to sound like a difficult artist to deal with. That is if you want to hook up with him. I would sound and act pro though like this isn't your first gig either. Act like you've been at it for awhile, non-chalant so to speak, there will come the right time to ask about contracts. To me upfront makes one sound like an amateur.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 06-15-2003).]

#202544 - 06/15/03 12:19 PM Re: Getting into music business/gigs
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks Terry,

No..noo don't worry, I wasn't going to ask him for contracts or anything. I was more like wondering what's the norm in the music industry if you were to apply for this type of gigs. (IF the producer likes your demo and wants you to play), if the producer wants you to play in a gig, say next week (with no money mentioned, no type of business relationship mentioned), should you just say "cool", packed up your gear and do it?

I have done this for a little bit, except my other experiences were a bit different, I was the one being approached, and they flat out tell me from the beginning what type of project they want me to be involved in.

Please keep the comments/advices coming.

#202545 - 06/15/03 01:12 PM Re: Getting into music business/gigs
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Being a pro means handling BUSINESS as business. It's show BIZ, not show Art. (Miss Piggy said that once!)
ALWAYS, discuss the arrangements and details of a job before you agree to anything. Get the pay plan, the method of payment, and the proper dress and gear needed for the job.
I'd advise you not to lie about experience, but instead, show a great willingness to learn and be a supportive player. You can act with confidence and display class and determination without the facade of an "imaginary" track record.

I'll bet that he respects you more for talent and honesty than bravado and hype.

Present yourself as a willing, capable member with creativity to spare. I wish you well in this pursuit. It's been a great run for me since I took my first money for singing. That was 1969, and so far, I never looked back. Good luck to you.

#202546 - 06/15/03 07:34 PM Re: Getting into music business/gigs
KN_Fan Offline

Good advice U.D thanks.

Anybody else please? Scott? AJ? Bueller? Bueller?

#202547 - 06/15/03 08:55 PM Re: Getting into music business/gigs
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hi Jonas (KN_Fan):

From the information you gave, it all sounds a little vague. I'm not sure about this particular guy, but I've run in to many so called 'big shot' producers (a dime a dozen) who've bragged (hot air) that they have the right connections to get me terrific bookings, etc. The most IMPORTANT first step is to first find out from the guy what music genre (style) his band plays and exactly what type of band member (keyboardist, singer, backup singer, instrumentalist?) he's looking for. If your background/experience then appears to match his expectations, then offer to give him your demo CD, or a 'live' audition. This avoids wasting both your time as well as a wasted demo CD & promo package which could be given to another more suitable client. I also don't recommend discussing contracts or $ at least until you find out what he really wants & he knows what you have to offer. Only then will you have any power to negotiate.

btw: Keep your demo CD & promo kit as up to date as possible. This should include a resume sheet which lists your music experience (past gigs/performances, studio production projects, & a music genre/set list summary).

I believe the 3 MOST important things a potential music employer looks for 2nd only to your "musicianship skills" are:

1) Your Track record for being 'on time' (dependability).
2) Ability to work well with other band members as well as good rapport with the audience
3) Appropriate stage attire (appearance)

Jonas, please keep us posted. Good LUCK !

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online