SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#176822 - 06/09/03 10:17 AM Lyric Meaning of: A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procol Harum
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I love the classic sixties Procul Harum song "A Whiter Shade of Pale", and even though I'm a vocalist, I primarily only perform it as an instrumental (utilizing the Yamaha Tyros "Organ Ballad Style"), as I don't really comprehend the 'meaning' of the lyrics. Do the lyrics possibly reflect some kind of 60's drug(?) culture metaphor? I'm hoping someone here might possibly provide some background and insight to the meaning of the title & lyrics? Thanks - Scott

A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procul Harum

We skipped the light fandango
Turned cartwheels cross the floor
I was feeling kind of seasick
The crowd called out for more
The room was humming harder
As the ceiling flew away
When we called out for another drink
The waiter brought a tray
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face at first just ghostly
Turned a whiter shade of pale.

She said There is no reason,
And the truth is plain to see,
But I wandered through my playing cards
And would not let her be
One of sixteen vestal virgins
Who were leaving for the coast
And although my eyes were open
They might just just have well been closed.
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face at first just ghostly
Turned a whiter shade of pale.

#176823 - 06/09/03 10:42 AM Re: Lyric Meaning of: A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procol Harum
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA

#176824 - 06/09/03 11:16 AM Re: Lyric Meaning of: A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procol Harum
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott,

Take a look at the main author's explanation: http://www.procolharum.com/99/awsop_vulture.htm (1st section)
and also at the discussion: http://www.procolharum.com/awsoplyrics.htm

I also read that the other official lyrics author, Gary Brooker, gave an interview once, saying that the title means nothing, just a good sounding combination of words.

-- José.

#176825 - 06/11/03 11:37 AM Re: Lyric Meaning of: A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procol Harum
Scottyee Offline

Cam8neel & José: Many thanks for providing the insight web links. It seems to lead back to what I initially suspected: that the lyrics resulted from some kind of psychedellic experience, kind of like MacArthur Park (same era).

btw: On this topic of trying to figure out the meaning of things, if you don't mind me asking, what does 'Cam8neel' stand for? Just curious, - Scott

#176826 - 06/11/03 11:39 AM Re: Lyric Meaning of: A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procol Harum
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Been singing that one for about 33 years and have NEVER had a clue what I was saying. The ones that make no sense are the hardest for me to remember.

#176827 - 06/11/03 01:32 PM Re: Lyric Meaning of: A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procol Harum
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Anyone recall the scene from "Meet the parents" when Robert De Niro finds out what his all time favorite song "Puff the Magic Dragon" really is all about...

------------------
Roy-Andrè

#176828 - 06/11/03 03:09 PM Re: Lyric Meaning of: A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procol Harum
Uncle Dave Offline

DeNiro is so good in that role..
.ANY role, actually.

#176829 - 06/15/03 07:13 AM Re: Lyric Meaning of: A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procol Harum
Louis-Simon Ouellet Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
and I thought my english was bad being french-canadian because i couldn't make sense of those lyrics. I guess it was the psychedelic era and not me

Simon

#176830 - 06/15/03 01:21 PM Re: Lyric Meaning of: A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procol Harum
Uncle Dave Offline

The late 60's into the early 70's was NUTS, here in the States. We are a young people with great creativity. I had a blast during that time. I even had HAIR then !
(It WAS required for coolness)

#176831 - 06/15/03 01:58 PM Re: Lyric Meaning of: A Whiter Shade of Pale, by Procol Harum
Scottyee Offline

Speaking of the late 60's -70' era, did anyone catch the Beach Boys documentary movie aired on (ABC) network TV last night? Those guys certainly sang beautiful close harmonies (whose musical influence were the 4 Freshmen). Brian Wilson was a creative genious, but the drugs certainly fried his brain. Curious to hear what some of 'your' favorite Beachboys songs are, and which ones (if any) you perform solo with the arranger keyboard & vocal harmonizer (of course). - Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online