SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#202300 - 12/17/01 05:07 AM digital Piano
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Hi gents,
Anyone out there played or owned a Roland RD-700. Just looking for another board (88 keys, Hammer action for giggin and recording) Thanks Brian

#202301 - 12/17/01 01:30 PM Re: digital Piano
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The RD700 is terrific, but if size and weight are important to you - check out the FP3. Same great action, 88 keys, great sounds (fewer).The 700 has drawbar control for the organs and a volume slider for drum volume - the FP3 is much simpler in design. It's a lot cheaper ($) too. I opted for the FP3 because of simplicity and size.

#202302 - 12/17/01 01:41 PM Re: digital Piano
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
I agree with U-Dave - having had the FP3 for awhile now - you simply can't beat the weight and sound combination. There are arguably two others that compete - the Technics SX-P50 and the Yamaha P-80 - all of which are around 900-1100 dollars - weigh very little - have few bells and whistles - and sound fine. I am still looking for the best arranger (for my tastes and needs) to start adding more color to my jazz duo performances - still looking!! - and sort of waiting for GEM at NAMM - but leaning to the Solton - for weight - and styles - as far as arranger drummers go I'd rather have a Solton Steve Gadd on a bad night than Yamaha Ringo Starr on his best nite!!

#202303 - 12/17/01 02:17 PM Re: digital Piano
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
I use Corg Sgid and it is great -- any comment on it Dave as compared with what is suggested above. best wishes Pierce ---

#202304 - 12/17/01 05:36 PM Re: digital Piano
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Thanks Uncle Dave, I've never even seen the fP3, but I'll check it out tomorrow. The RD looks pretty complete. It even has an arpeggiator and some pretty extensive synth stuff. May be too much though. I also am considering the new RS-9, although it seems much more like a synth (gee, maybe that's why they call it one).

Mike , Thanks for the technics scoop and the yamaha P-80 recommendation. I know it sounds funny, but I'm trying to expand my interests abit. I've been a Yamaha fan for many years, and I know there's more to life than just the Yamaha sound, so I guess I was leaning away from being completely "Yamahaized" is that a word???? Thanks again

#202305 - 12/17/01 07:57 PM Re: digital Piano
Kmac Offline

HI B2

I would encourage you to check out the FP3 and the Technics p-50 as well they both have pretty good action. The Roland has some accompaniment patterns built into it - )if you are into that) The technics has the natural response action which is excellent.
Both are pretty easy to move around.
I guess it depends on what is most important to you for which one will best meet your needs. The Roland has a very cool vocal patch that articulates different syllables depending on how the keys are attached - Technics Grand Piano Sound is Boss
Let us know how you make out

[This message has been edited by Kmac (edited 12-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kmac (edited 12-17-2001).]

#202306 - 12/17/01 09:15 PM Re: digital Piano
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Both the Yamaha and the Roland have a terrific split bass - the Technics & the Korg don't ... if that's a factor. As for the Steve Gadd vs. Ringo Starr comment - Sure, for a jazz situation, Steve is the better man, but I speak from the experience of a guy in the trenches who plays the hits. Any singer/pianist I know would rather have good solid timekeeper than a drummer that solo's too much, or plays too busy.(Gaddism) Take jazz out of the mix anyway - because we're talking about machines here. Mechanical, NONfeeling, NONimprovising, inanimate silicon & plastic monsters. None of which exist in the realm of jazz.
I love to add a jazzy flavor to my shows, but let's face it - you CAN'T play jazz with a machine... because it won't play back. If you take away the spontinaety and interaction .... you get pop. Maybe it swings, and maybe it doesn't - but if there's a drum machine or arranger playing ... it ain't jazz.

(oh boy ... here it comes.....)

#202307 - 12/17/01 10:55 PM Re: digital Piano
Nimrod Offline

Hi B2,

As Kmac says, "Technics Grand Piano Sound is Boss", and you can here it played here:
Technics P50 . In which a student plays a couple of Chopin works - and something else. Sounds very much like an Acoustic to me...really does.

#202308 - 12/17/01 11:08 PM Re: digital Piano
Kmac Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kmac:
I agree again! that the P-50 is really worth checking out

Here it comes........
Let's not kid ourselves, as long as a human is programming / sequencing parts into a "machine" the parts can be programmed to re-create the "spontaneity and interaction" of (almost) any musical style . It is all about capturing the nuances of the musical genre ( of course this comes with experience, a good ear (talent) and study of the style). I think that most people would agree that some musicians come by this more naturally than others depending on what their musical experience,aptitude,education and influences are.

It's about attention to detail. Using proper instrumentation, recreating voicing, articulation and attention to instrument range.

In order to re-create any style, pop. classical, rock etc the programmer needs to have a keen understanding of the characteristics of the genre. I am afraid it's not only jazz that falls victim to poor re-creation -

In a nut shell - if you have a decent arranger keyboard or computer program. a really good understanding of the style (that you want to program) , musical talent and most importantly keen and musical ear for detail ( oh yeah and lots of time-at first anyway)you should be able to create a reasonable facsimile of whatever you are trying to capture.Please note - If you don't care for the style that you are trying to capture or if you don't have much experience with it - it might take a while to get it working eally well for you.

As the old saying goes you only get what you put in

#202309 - 12/17/01 11:14 PM Re: digital Piano
Nimrod Offline

By The Way, the Technics Piano does without loads of sounds you wouldn't necessarily need on a digital Piano, and in so doing, you get better Piano samples, as these are the sounds that are most important on a digital piano.

A quick Question on the RD700. I understand it takes 2 SRX Cards via the slots. Hmmm…..Does that mean it WON'T accept SR-JV series cards? - Because there are some great JV cards out there and it would be a little disappointing to not have these available on this particular model (RD700).

NR

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online