digital Piano

Posted by: B2

digital Piano - 12/17/01 05:07 AM

Hi gents,
Anyone out there played or owned a Roland RD-700. Just looking for another board (88 keys, Hammer action for giggin and recording) Thanks Brian
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: digital Piano - 12/17/01 01:30 PM

The RD700 is terrific, but if size and weight are important to you - check out the FP3. Same great action, 88 keys, great sounds (fewer).The 700 has drawbar control for the organs and a volume slider for drum volume - the FP3 is much simpler in design. It's a lot cheaper ($) too. I opted for the FP3 because of simplicity and size.
Posted by: Mike H

Re: digital Piano - 12/17/01 01:41 PM

I agree with U-Dave - having had the FP3 for awhile now - you simply can't beat the weight and sound combination. There are arguably two others that compete - the Technics SX-P50 and the Yamaha P-80 - all of which are around 900-1100 dollars - weigh very little - have few bells and whistles - and sound fine. I am still looking for the best arranger (for my tastes and needs) to start adding more color to my jazz duo performances - still looking!! - and sort of waiting for GEM at NAMM - but leaning to the Solton - for weight - and styles - as far as arranger drummers go I'd rather have a Solton Steve Gadd on a bad night than Yamaha Ringo Starr on his best nite!!
Posted by: flowerssupply

Re: digital Piano - 12/17/01 02:17 PM

I use Corg Sgid and it is great -- any comment on it Dave as compared with what is suggested above. best wishes Pierce ---

Re: digital Piano - 12/17/01 05:36 PM

Thanks Uncle Dave, I've never even seen the fP3, but I'll check it out tomorrow. The RD looks pretty complete. It even has an arpeggiator and some pretty extensive synth stuff. May be too much though. I also am considering the new RS-9, although it seems much more like a synth (gee, maybe that's why they call it one).

Mike , Thanks for the technics scoop and the yamaha P-80 recommendation. I know it sounds funny, but I'm trying to expand my interests abit. I've been a Yamaha fan for many years, and I know there's more to life than just the Yamaha sound, so I guess I was leaning away from being completely "Yamahaized" is that a word???? Thanks again
Posted by: Kmac

Re: digital Piano - 12/17/01 07:57 PM

HI B2

I would encourage you to check out the FP3 and the Technics p-50 as well they both have pretty good action. The Roland has some accompaniment patterns built into it - )if you are into that) The technics has the natural response action which is excellent.
Both are pretty easy to move around.
I guess it depends on what is most important to you for which one will best meet your needs. The Roland has a very cool vocal patch that articulates different syllables depending on how the keys are attached - Technics Grand Piano Sound is Boss
Let us know how you make out

[This message has been edited by Kmac (edited 12-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kmac (edited 12-17-2001).]

Re: digital Piano - 12/17/01 09:15 PM

Both the Yamaha and the Roland have a terrific split bass - the Technics & the Korg don't ... if that's a factor. As for the Steve Gadd vs. Ringo Starr comment - Sure, for a jazz situation, Steve is the better man, but I speak from the experience of a guy in the trenches who plays the hits. Any singer/pianist I know would rather have good solid timekeeper than a drummer that solo's too much, or plays too busy.(Gaddism) Take jazz out of the mix anyway - because we're talking about machines here. Mechanical, NONfeeling, NONimprovising, inanimate silicon & plastic monsters. None of which exist in the realm of jazz.
I love to add a jazzy flavor to my shows, but let's face it - you CAN'T play jazz with a machine... because it won't play back. If you take away the spontinaety and interaction .... you get pop. Maybe it swings, and maybe it doesn't - but if there's a drum machine or arranger playing ... it ain't jazz.

(oh boy ... here it comes.....)
Posted by: Nimrod

Re: digital Piano - 12/17/01 10:55 PM

Hi B2,

As Kmac says, "Technics Grand Piano Sound is Boss", and you can here it played here:
Technics P50 . In which a student plays a couple of Chopin works - and something else. Sounds very much like an Acoustic to me...really does.
Posted by: Kmac

Re: digital Piano - 12/17/01 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kmac:
I agree again! that the P-50 is really worth checking out

Here it comes........
Let's not kid ourselves, as long as a human is programming / sequencing parts into a "machine" the parts can be programmed to re-create the "spontaneity and interaction" of (almost) any musical style . It is all about capturing the nuances of the musical genre ( of course this comes with experience, a good ear (talent) and study of the style). I think that most people would agree that some musicians come by this more naturally than others depending on what their musical experience,aptitude,education and influences are.

It's about attention to detail. Using proper instrumentation, recreating voicing, articulation and attention to instrument range.

In order to re-create any style, pop. classical, rock etc the programmer needs to have a keen understanding of the characteristics of the genre. I am afraid it's not only jazz that falls victim to poor re-creation -

In a nut shell - if you have a decent arranger keyboard or computer program. a really good understanding of the style (that you want to program) , musical talent and most importantly keen and musical ear for detail ( oh yeah and lots of time-at first anyway)you should be able to create a reasonable facsimile of whatever you are trying to capture.Please note - If you don't care for the style that you are trying to capture or if you don't have much experience with it - it might take a while to get it working eally well for you.

As the old saying goes you only get what you put in

Posted by: Nimrod

Re: digital Piano - 12/17/01 11:14 PM

By The Way, the Technics Piano does without loads of sounds you wouldn't necessarily need on a digital Piano, and in so doing, you get better Piano samples, as these are the sounds that are most important on a digital piano.

A quick Question on the RD700. I understand it takes 2 SRX Cards via the slots. Hmmm…..Does that mean it WON'T accept SR-JV series cards? - Because there are some great JV cards out there and it would be a little disappointing to not have these available on this particular model (RD700).

NR
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: digital Piano - 12/17/01 11:54 PM

I believe that a good musician with the right arranger keyboard can reasonably re-create the spontaniety of a jazz performance. With the use of a variety of drum fills triggered in just the right places as well as multipad hits and other arranger keyboard playing techniques (chord substituions, etc) , you can really create a feeling of 'live' interaction between the arranger parts and your live playing which is such an intergral part of what jazz is about. I studied jazz in college, peformed in a combo and know that the chemistry of playing off other musicians can't really be matched with an arranger, but sometimes it gets close, especially with the use of arranger playing techniques, 'smoke and mirrors' as Uncle Dave calls it. I currently perform all styles of music (from pop to country, r&b, rock to showtunes). I realize that mainstream audiences appreciate a melody that will be easily recognizable and that they can sing along to. Though never a hardcore jazz player, I continue to enjoy playing and singing the classic pop standards which have become classic jazz swing tunes as well and like to throw in a few chord substitutions here or there to add flair to an otherwise bland chord progression. The KEY to performing is to 'know' your audience and to not only give them what they want, but to give them a taste of something new and original as well. I typically play a set of standard fare and then throw in something different in the middle of the second set once I've won them over and given them what THEY think they came for. Once I got them in the palm of my hands, I am free to expand their listening experience (one or two tunes) of somethng different: from bebop jazz to hardcore hillbilly country to classical. Music comes in so many wonderful flavors. If you can suceed at turning your audience on to something new, you'll have them begging for MORE ! That being said, I think that Technics has the best piano sound and styles specifically for jazz.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-18-2001).]
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: digital Piano - 12/18/01 02:15 AM

The Roland RD700 will not take the Roland JV cards. Only the larger new 64MB SRX cards work in it.
I would also recommend the newly released P120 and P120S Yamaha's. These are newly remade P80 with built in monitor speakers and beautiful wood finishes. The weight is still only 40 lbs. and Yamaha has added Vibes, Clavs, Guitars and two more bass sounds. They've also addes a second pedal option, fixed volume outputs as well as outputs controlled by the master volume and three song memory instead of one. They sell for around $1100.00 which is just $200.00 more than the P80. A very popular new model.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

Re: digital Piano - 12/18/01 04:56 AM

Thank you all. That's what I like most about this forum. You not only get answers, you get passionate ones as well. I'm sure that's why you're all doing so well in this career....I guess actually it's more a life style wouldn't you say? It just becomes who you are. Anyhow, I wasn't trying to interject any profound substance here. Just looking for a great sounding digital piano. The bells and whistles aren't necessarily important, although additional capabilities along with hammer action is tempting. George, thanks for the new Yamaha lead, as always your input is extremely valuable, Scott / Kmac and Nimrod, I'll look at those technics. My dad has the Clavinova style technincs at home. It may be the model, but I haven't warmed to the piano sounds or the keyboard feel yet, but I will definately try out the P-50 next time I can get my hands on one. As I said, this is both for performing and recording, as I am 5 years away from retiring from my real job. That gives me a good time to educate myself in all this stuff (recording/performing/setting up arranger keyboards/demoing new instruments/creating an act etc. This forum is like attending a university. There is so much to learn. Thanks for keeping it fun. Brian

[This message has been edited by B2 (edited 12-18-2001).]

Re: digital Piano - 12/18/01 05:55 AM

Scott,
I'm glad you didn't take my post as a challange or a slam at jazzers. Your response was well thought out, to the point, and carries much truth. Good answer !
You know I strongly disaggre with your piano comment ( I hate the kn5000 acoustic sound ), but hey - I prefer Yamaha acoustics to most Steinways too. I like a brighter, more "present" tone - I played a lot of Steinways, and they all have a darker, classical flavor. Anyway - it's ALL about flavor, isn't it? Glad we can disagree about something we feel so strongly about, and still say it nicely!

Re: digital Piano - 12/18/01 09:48 AM

I don't see how folks could disagree too much with U-Dave on the jazz-not jazz - topic this 'digital piano' forum has become -especially when you realize he uses a traditional definition of what constitutes jazz. Sort of unfortunately for jazz - being defined as 'improvisational interplay between musicians' might also allow John Tesch to be included in that jazz model. If I was considered 1/2 of a jazz duo when me and the bass player perform - does the addition of a drummer whose volume and nuance I control with my feet - enhance my performance or detract? If the audience still really likes it on balance - do I need to inform them that its no longer jazz? Personally I am more interested in recreating the experiences of listening to a fine recording than I am in the promotion of the 'live music' aspect of performance - though I know it is a draw. - Thats particularly why I want to be able to use the arranger during a tune - both for midi-file playback as well as real time accompaniment- - My music performance benefits greatly from the ability to provide substantial diversity within a tune - on the spot - something you can't always do with a band!

Mike H
Posted by: arnothijssen

Re: digital Piano - 12/18/01 10:20 AM

I see those kurzweil stage piano's quite often on sale around here. Anybody got experience with those ???

Re: digital Piano - 12/18/01 10:37 AM

Kurzweil pianos?

I have played them and some folks think they are great - and certainly to some ears they are fine - I tend to think that if you are not such a purist about traditional acoustic sound - that you can be satisfied with a variety of manufacturers. I believe the Technics SX, the Yamaha P80 and the Roland FP3 tend to focus on the consumer who really wants to recreate a very good acoustic piano as the central element in their performance.

MH

Re: digital Piano - 12/18/01 12:59 PM

More good thoughts..thanks..I checked out the Yamaha P120 and 120S in the yamaha website today, the audio clips sound fantastic...at least through the computer speakers I have....I'm leaning towards Yamaha, Roland or perhaps Technics I guess for now..I tend to agree, the best pure acoustic sounds seem to come from these three folks...at least that's what my ears have told me all along....and to be honest, it's probably between the yamie and the roland...as stated before in one of Scott's threads, there just aren't alot of Technics stores or distributors around these parts...would be nice to compare side by side....Adios Brian
Posted by: flowerssupply

Re: digital Piano - 12/18/01 02:49 PM

Please tell me whats up I am delighted for 10 years with my corg sgid and it seems that nobody has one or has comment. I have a friend - an excellent piano player and he tried so many pianos and searched again for a corg sgid and as luck would have it a lady bought one in the same place a me 10 yrs ago for a son and he never played it so my pal bought it we love em so whatya think lads???? Pierce ps price was once £3000 and I paid £2200 -- I know of a chap that paid £2850 also 10 yrs ago. I wouldnt bother going to any gig without it .

Re: digital Piano - 12/18/01 07:44 PM

Peirce,
This may sound snobby, or shallow, but the SG1d is no longer a contender. The sounds on todays pianos are greatly improved, the actions are more realistic, and the price & weight have both dropped. In it's day, many players loved that piece, as they did the Roland RD1000 - but c'mon ..... with all the advances available, there is no comparison. Your piano is certainly still useable, but it's an old dog now, and there are new pups on the block that can outrun that sucker without breaking a sweat.

Re: digital Piano - 12/19/01 04:48 AM

Peirce,
I had never even heard of your board before today, not unusual seeing my instrument knowledge is extremely limited now. I've played Rolands and Yamahas throughout the years, mainly because that's all the stores around here carried. It has been merely a hobby of mine (playing the piano that is) But now, as I attempt to educate myself, I'm finding many more keyboards and modules and whiz bangers and sequencers and gadzooks man...the list is endless. I'm with Uncle Dave though. The technology is so great these days (although you still need to know how to play and entertain)that the sounds and action is incredible compared to older boards. The beauty is, the price is relatively cheap too. I have an old Roland KR 500. We were setting up our new sound system at the church, and all I had that day was the old board. The technician was blown away by the piano sound that old board put out. He came back 2 months later when we had the Yamaha Clavinova CP-107. He thought that was top notch. That board costs $9,000. Granted, it has many bells and whistles, but I'm here to tell you, the newer digital boards make that sound like a toy piano (perhaps overstated abit), and for one tenth the cost. And the Hammer action is all there too. Technology is a wonderful thing for us as musicians....at least as far as the sounds we can re-produce with portable gear, at an affordable price...Anyhow, thanks for the input..Merry Christmas!!!

[This message has been edited by B2 (edited 12-19-2001).]