SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202291 - 03/12/03 03:41 AM Night and day
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Dear friends,
I have just added a new song to my website: "Night and Day", one of the many Cole Porter's masterpieces. Since I am lost in brazilian music, I have done this song "the brazilian way". I have to confess that I somehow took inspiration from the Sergio Mendes rendition.....but mine is better!
The song was recorded entirely live on the 9000 pro (one shot), so there are a few slight imprecisions, but who cares... afterall I am still in an experimenting phase, so I play these songs each time different.
The .wav version sounds just good; however, after converting to MP3 I seem to hear some artifacts on the highest notes played with the piano; I was listening through headphones, so I don't know if you will notice the same things with your speakers: just let me know...
I hope you will like this song; you have been so kind with your feedback on my previous songs that I had to thank you, one way or another. I really hope to enjoy your friendship for many years more.
Andrea

P.S.: Donny, on this song you can finally hear me singing (towards the end); hope you will like it (...harmonizers can really work miracles!)
http://andrearotolo.tripod.com/dreamer/id1.html

#202292 - 03/12/03 04:55 AM Re: Night and day
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
Olá brasileiro

É isso aí. Muito bom mesmo.

Tchau,

Armando

[This message has been edited by SD_FAN (edited 03-12-2003).]

#202293 - 03/12/03 06:50 AM Re: Night and day
Dnj Offline

Andrea you got mail......

#202294 - 03/12/03 07:24 AM Re: Night and day
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Andrea,
I like the style you chose and the piano at the beginning of the song. You were singing? Didn't hear it.
Starkeeper

#202295 - 03/12/03 09:13 AM Re: Night and day
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Andrea.

Go to mail box.

Abraços
Chico

#202296 - 03/12/03 11:57 AM Re: Night and day
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Nice latin swing rendition of Night & Day. And do I hear my now infamous left hand rootless piano voicing implemented here as well? I love how you're now laying back more, and playing more behind the beat.

My only suggestion for the future (and please DON'T change or re-record this version cuz I really like it), might be to VARY the left hand piano comping rhythm (holding the chord at some measures etc) & asociated chord voicings just a little bit, to keep it from sounding quite as repetitive.

As far as what you call 'slight imprecisions', don't change or correct them. That's what gives the song it's human soul.

Scott

#202297 - 03/12/03 12:43 PM Re: Night and day
Dreamer Offline

Armando,
too bad you won't be in Belo Horizonte!

Kevin,
I was pulling Donny's leg... but I am kind of disappointed: do you mean that the voices you've heard don't sound like the real thing?!?

Scott,
for this one I have used the chords from the Real Book and you are right: listening to the song, I too find slightly repetitive the progression Cmaj7-C6.
Comment: this is a song that lends itself to be played in a variety of styles: swing, rhumba, bossa...I had even thought to do a version with the Afro-Cuban style: a bit extreme, maybe...

#202298 - 03/12/03 12:58 PM Re: Night and day
Tyron Offline

Loc: Coventry, England
Nice one Dreamer,
Sounds a lot less like an arranger keyboard with this style.
As someone fairly new to arrangers, and as Scotyee mentions, what is this routeless piano left hand? Do you set it up somehow to play manual vamping but bass and whatever still auto accompanies - sounds intriguing.
(sorry, but I'm fairly new to arranger boards)
Ron

#202299 - 03/12/03 01:17 PM Re: Night and day
Dreamer Offline

Ron,
Scott was referring to the fact that I was using for the left hand chords without a root (the fundamental note); they are very common in jazz music. I have also used a kind of comping I thought could work for this song, played with this particular style. However, things can always be made better; if I had to record this song now (only 10 hours later) I would do it differently. I realize also that this kind of music (bossa nova) is usually played with sounds like piano, acoustic guitar, flute, sax, etc, but I am trying to be a bit creative. After all, bossa nova first came out 40 years ago...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online