SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#199174 - 03/20/02 09:38 AM Re: NEW KORG PA60 CHECK IT OUT!!!
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I think John is correct about the PA60 and the styles. This is unfortunate too. The styles in the PA80 are excellent for particular songs but they are aren't as generic as Yamaha's so they don't seem to fit as wide a variety of songs. A good example on the PA80 is the Open Rock 2 style. It works well for a very nice rendition of the Rolling Stones " Honky tonk Woman ". but little else. The fills ( as has been stated many times before ) don't match every variation well at all in a few of the styles. probably the fact that there are only 2 fills and 4 variations pr style contributes to that.

Maybe you are right about the PA60 being targeted at live players though Uncle Dave. Unless it's a huge drop in price, I wouldn't consider it for such a task vs the PSR2000. All the amenities that the PA80 DOES give me vs the 2000, plus the OS issues and the sounds, are why I chose the PA80 for my live act instead of the 2000. I am going to use the sequencer a lot, so the dual sequencer is also a huge plus ( I think the 60 will have that too ). Had the styles been more of a determining factor, and the OS in my 2000 not been so buggy, it would have been a totally different story. I'd have even kept the 1000 I had on loan just for the styles until a new 2000 was available.

Like John said, the PA80 for me has its drawbacks too, but I like the board anyway and I can live with them a lot easier than I could with the faults my version 1.0 2000 had.

Korg AJ

#199175 - 03/20/02 02:03 PM Re: NEW KORG PA60 CHECK IT OUT!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Try that Open Rock style on "Ain't too proud to beg" or "Midnight Hour" .... maybe even "Fins" by Jimmy Buffett. They sound like similar beats. (in my head, anyway) I'm not familiar with the exact pattern, but if it works for one .... it MIGHT do double duty !

#199176 - 03/20/02 02:09 PM Re: NEW KORG PA60 CHECK IT OUT!!!
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Yes casio add modulation wheels to their keyboards to make them sound reasonable! Seriously though, I agree the differences between the 640/740 and 1000/2000 are too significant, given the small price tag differences. Both the 640 and 1000 are without doubt low sales I would imagine, though maybe one of our dealers can verify if this is true? Still... dont think I would buy a casio just because its got a modulation wheel!!

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#199177 - 03/20/02 07:01 PM Re: NEW KORG PA60 CHECK IT OUT!!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Simon,
I wouldn't buy one just for the modulation wheel either. I just don't see why Yamaha leaves them off a couple models. Of all the things they take off they choose the modultion wheel.. I don't understand why... The PSR-740/640 have the same body molding as do the PSR-1000/2000. Yet they cheeze you out of something as simple as a modulation wheel. Makes no sense to me...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online