SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#115555 - 03/16/02 05:23 PM PSR2000: SERIOUS Reg Memory/Reg Sequence PROBLEMS !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ok ok, I admit I still like my PSR2000 overall, but here's ANOTHER PSR2000 feature (bug?!) which continues to irritate me a LOT, particularly during a tight show set performance.

As I mentioned before, I utilize 'Memory Bank Registrations' and the 'Registsration Sequence' feature to advance thru different setups for sections of a song or song medley. Before begining a song, I always have to REMEMBER to set the the 'Reistration Sequence' button setting back to Reg #1 before performing the song, otherwise, you could be starting at any of the 8 Reg Memorys. Unfortunately, pressing the physical black Registration Memory button #1 (the one right above the keybed itself, will not accomplish this. To move the Registration Sequence back to #1, you must use the 'back/next' buttons (to the right of the top of the LCD screen) and scroll the Reg Seq back to #1. I would think that the black square #1 thru 8 Registration buttons should have been designed to be LINKED to the Registration Sequence numbers (which appear on the LCD), so that you could simply press one of the #1-8 buttons to effectively change the Registsration Sequence setting to the same place, because it DOES work the 'other way around'. In other words, when you change the Registration Sequence numbers via the back/next buttons, the Registration Memory buttons change accordingly.

Ok, so what's the beef? Too many times, I have loaded a Memory Registration for a specific song, and see that Registration Bank button #1 is lighted up, so assume that every thing is set correctly and all ready to go , but quickly find out (when I start performing the song) that the Registration Sequence was NOT set to #1, but to another registration altogether. This has proved disasterous on several occasions. I have to resort to putting bright colored stickers next to specific buttons on the 2000, so I can remember to check specific functions before I start EVERY song. What a PAIN. If these functions could be saved as a part of Registration Memory, this could be avoided.

Yamaha needs to 'fix' the LCD 'Sequence Registration' settings so it's numbers reflect physical button changes made on Registration Memory Buttons (1-8) itself. This makes sense to me and would avoid the problems I outlined above.

In addition, the on/off status of the following buttons need to be able to be stored in Registsration Memory. Currently this is not possible, so I always have to remember to check the status of these button before I begin a song.

* Sync Start
* Sync Stop
* OTS Link
* Auto Fill In

I hope Steve Deming (head of Yamaha PSR Tech support USA) is listening.

I'm curious to hear from others on this as well.

- Scott http://scottyee.com

#115556 - 03/16/02 06:16 PM Re: PSR2000: SERIOUS Reg Memory/Reg Sequence PROBLEMS !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
The registration memory problems for me were just too much to overcome, and I had to make a decision whether to live with them the way they were until an OS upgrade was possible or go with the PA80 altogether. I never even got that far Scott, because mine was so buggy that the proper eq and effects settings would not always come up even after I set them properly when I would go to a registration. The frustrating thing was sometimes they would, and other times they would not, other times they were partially correct. And that would happen on the SAME registration memory. I would press it and never be quite sure what I was going to get. Even the Yamaha tech must have seen that it was wrong, because he told us that the board was irreperable without a new chip upgrade.

I just could not afford to wait any longer. It's hard enough trying to set up an act after not doing it for many years, and then encountering these kinds of problems. granted, the PA80 has its faults too, and sometimes it's harder to find the right style for a song, but at least once I do set thing up in the registrations (performances), they stay put and work flawlessly. So gone is the 2000, with a full refund it has been replaced by a Motif. The funny thing is, I had a version 1.1 PSR1000 on loan while I was deciding what to do, and everything I tried worked perfectly on it. maybe down the road, I'd like to have a PSR for the simplicity of the styles. If they ever get it right, I might eventually get another 2000, or another Yamaha arranger for the live act. As featureless as it was, the 740 I had would have worked better just for the auto accomp. I'm kinda sorry I got rid of it when I purchased the 2000.

Korg AJ

#115557 - 03/16/02 06:37 PM Re: PSR2000: SERIOUS Reg Memory/Reg Sequence PROBLEMS !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi AJ,
I definitely sympathize with all the problems and frustrations you've had with the 2000. Except for the Registsration Problems I mentioned, I'm still pretty happy with the 2000 for live gigging. Having to REMEMBER to check all the button status setup details before beginning each song is just such a PAIN, and by the end of show, my brain can feel pretty fried. I really can't figure out how Yamaha overlooked including these basic functions/settings as part of the Registration Settings. As I mentioned earlier, I've had to stick on colored stars and dots next to key buttons to remind myself to run thru a check everytime I begin a song. In addition to using Registration Memory, I also play (similar to the way Uncle Dave does), pressing and selecting as I go. this is fine when performing in a casual piano bar/lounge venue, but doesn't work (at least for me) in a formal show when the audience pays for a show ticket & seat, and expects (and agreeably so) nothing less than a slick professional performance. The Technics keyboards provide full Registration Memory support, so if Yamaha cannot deliver, I'll be looking into the KN7000 or possibly the Ketron SD1. Unfortunately the PA80 is out the question (for me) because of it's limited chord recognition (no rootless jazz style chord recognition ). - Scott

#115558 - 03/16/02 06:50 PM Re: PSR2000: SERIOUS Reg Memory/Reg Sequence PROBLEMS !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
If they get this thing straightened out, who knows? Maybe I'll eventually end up with another 2000, then again, maybe not. I almost considered hanging on to the 1000 they gave me for a replacement, but I just wasn't willing to give up the Vocal harmonizer and some of the other missing features. I understand why you couldn't use a PA80. Admittedly, although I like the board a lot, it isn't the best for me for live play either. The only Issue that I have with it is that there are only 2 fills per styles and the fills aren't always a great match to the variations. Some of the styles are a little busy too for simple songs. I've worked on it enough to modify some of the offending styles though and for now I'll live with it.

Sooner or later though. I may want another arranger for this act, so even though I always liked the its' sounds, now that I have a Motif, it isn't even a 100 % safe bet that I'll keep the PA80 if the right board comes along for me. Heck, I can get all those sounds on a Triton LE too, so who knows what will happen here next ?..

Korg AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-16-2002).]

#115559 - 03/20/02 02:18 PM Re: PSR2000: SERIOUS Reg Memory/Reg Sequence PROBLEMS !
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi,
Help please, I did it again and nothing ha s changed, the 2000 still can`t remember panel settings and the version "thing" it goes so fast how can you tell any thing? I did find something else that may help somebody. After it goes through that test thing press C-1 and it goes to 7? then use the "tempo" buttons to go up or down, I went down until I got to [1test*] no what after that? I`m going slighty mad
help thanks
jedi

#115560 - 03/20/02 02:35 PM Re: PSR2000: SERIOUS Reg Memory/Reg Sequence PROBLEMS !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jedi....
Are you positive you are not forgetting the final "SAVE" after setting your registrations?

1. Save your setups to the Registration button (1-8)
2. Exit back to main screen
3. Hit "J" to name and save.

That should work.

Eddie

#115561 - 03/20/02 02:41 PM Re: PSR2000: SERIOUS Reg Memory/Reg Sequence PROBLEMS !
jedi Offline

Thanks Eddie
I`ll give that a try , I sure thank you all
jedi

#115562 - 03/20/02 02:51 PM Re: PSR2000: SERIOUS Reg Memory/Reg Sequence PROBLEMS !
jedi Offline

Thank you Eddie
That time it worked! but it doesn`t always!
also have you tried that Ver. thing? I did it on mine and very thing whent by so fast I could hardly see any thing I think I still have an old one Ser.# on first one was 614611 and ser# on new one is 617980
thats a long way from "Uncle Dave`s" being his he said was about 9000 units from his original one. Thank you so much for your help. BTW when I run the start up test after it`s done try pressing C-1 and them "tempo -" push seven times and you`ll get to ver. but I`m stuck after that
thanks again
jedi

#115563 - 03/20/02 03:13 PM Re: PSR2000: SERIOUS Reg Memory/Reg Sequence PROBLEMS !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jedi...
On that final step (#3) be sure you know whether you are saving to User or Floppy. You can toggle to whichever you want to save to with the NEXT and BACK buttons.

I swore (literally) that my Registrations weren't saving right...until I got the process down.

Eddie

#115564 - 03/20/02 03:18 PM Re: PSR2000: SERIOUS Reg Memory/Reg Sequence PROBLEMS !
jedi Offline

Hi Eddie
Thanks for all your help , have you tried that test thing and then press "key C-1" after the test? When I do that test every thing goes by so fast I can`t tell what ver. I have. thanks
jedi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online