SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#197720 - 10/11/01 07:00 AM Expression Pedal with PSR2000
Datablues Offline

Loc: Nuernberg, Germany
Hi everybody...

I asked this question already in another topic:

Does anybody know how the pedal of Yamaha like the FC-7 works? Has it a simple potentiometer inside or what else? The reason for my question is, that I have a Roland Expression Pedal and I want to use it with the PSR2000 (maybe the PSR9000 has a similar electronic interface). In which way I have to modify it?

For Beakybird

A great feature of the pSR2000 is the possibility to decide on which voice the Pitch bend from an expression pedal is working. In my band we are playing Country Music...who is doing the Steel Guitar?...It's me. With this keyboard I will get very close to a real Steel Guitar.

My solution is:

Two layered Pedal steel guitar sounds (no spilt necessary), one is set to solo (monophon playing). In the settings of the PSR2000 (function -> controller) you can decide what the expression pedal is doing -> choose Pitch Bend, set the range (for Steel Guitar I think 1 is ok) and let the Controller only work one the solo voice.

Now during playing a C-Chord I can change the Pitch of the solo tone, this means of one tone of the Chord, this is nearly the way you can do it with a Pedal Steel Guitar.

Hope this helps

greetings

Datablues

Datablues

#197721 - 10/11/01 07:31 AM Re: Expression Pedal with PSR2000
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Datablues,

Which Roland expression pedal do you have?

Boss FV-300L (product from Roland) with 2 ins and 2 outs can handle any keyboards. Just connect the L and R outs of your keyboard to FV-300L's ins and connect FV-300L's outs to your mixer. There is no need for modification on this product to work with PSR2000 or PSR9000. For other Roland expression pedals like Boss EV-5, and FV-50L etc. since I have not used them before, I cannot answer. I only know that the polarity of sustain pedals for Roland and Yamaha are the same. Yamaha MFC10 MIDI foot controller also has a built in expression pedal that works really well with Yamaha keyboards.

Paul Ip
from Texas

#197722 - 10/11/01 03:58 PM Re: Expression Pedal with PSR2000
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Paul I was reading your post, when a light bulb come on! I have an old 510 yamaha. The sustain polarity on it and probably a lot newer models can be changed to + or - just
by pushing your sustain swith down and turning the power on.
All the best,
Nobby

------------------

#197723 - 10/11/01 07:43 PM Re: Expression Pedal with PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

I don't get it. Please illumine me. If you layer two voices and play a C chord, how does the keyboard know which finger is playing the solo voice and which one is playing the polyphonic voice?

Larry

#197724 - 10/12/01 12:27 AM Re: Expression Pedal with PSR2000
Datablues Offline

Loc: Nuernberg, Germany
Hi Paul...

I use a Boss FV-5 and I tried it with my old PSR740. Even with changing the polarity in the PSR settings I was not able to use this with my PSR740. Maybe you have a schematic of the Yamaha FC-7, you can send me, then I will able to modify the FV-5 Thanks!

Hi Larry...

the trick is the layering, you're right, that the main sound plays the whole chord, and the layer sound can be changed by the PITCH controller, because in the PSR2000 you can define, which voice is controller by which controller. This is really a new great feature. It's now better to understand?

The keyboard plays both sounds in parallel, but only one, the layer, is changed

Greetings

Gerhard

Datablues

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online