SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#196426 - 03/07/05 08:00 PM One man band software
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Hi everyone here at Synthzone,
I don't post very often but I do read the posts almost every day.
I am very impressed with the One Man Band software arranger program. I think it's definitely suitable for live use. However I found certain limitations and possible improvement areas.

#1 Have an option for the fills (all 4) not to change the current variation.

#2 Be able to change the voice with only one button press, and not having to press the SHIFT key first, (As in Live Styler).

#3 When the transpose key is pressed on the computer keyboard, the accompaniment automatically gets transposed. This is very unsuitable for live use. Suppose I want to transpose a few semitones while the accompaniment is playing. Every time I press the transpose key, the music will shift up one semitone so pressing it a few times will cause the music to transpose one semitone at a time till the one I need. That is definitaly not good for live performance.
The way it should be is like on all keyboars and on Live Styler arranger software, where the the music is not transposed until the next chord is pressed.

#4 Tempo lock, as on all keyboards, usualy when both tempo up and down are pressed simultaniously.

#5 be able to load a style (may be from a predetermined list of styles)by one key press.

#6 Be able to load another style without having the accompaniment stop playing.

#7 A smaller tempo change increment when changing the tempo by pressing the computer keyboard.

I think that all of the above things I stated are not extraordinary functions and are currently available on most or all profesional arranger keyboards.

What do you people here at synthzone have to say about it?

[This message has been edited by Jick Duck (edited 03-07-2005).]

#196427 - 03/08/05 12:11 AM Re: One man band software
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
might be worth your while suggesting your changes to Jos directly. As you can see , he's up to Vers8. I've only had it since vers.5 but I've noticed with each new version, he's added new features. I would imagine that a lot of the improvements have been made because of user feedback.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 03-08-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#196428 - 03/08/05 07:00 AM Re: One man band software
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Jick,
I am a new OMB user and I like all of your suggestions, especially #1 & 7. Suggestion # 1; you are asking for a fill to self?
Since I use an arranger as my controller, it would be nice if OMB accepted other MIDI data to change fills. Ex. A mod on channel 13 for a FILL or STOP.
Does OMB have configuration setups, so that you can press a button and have OMB in a different setup?
Hey Rikki,
I purchased an Acoustic Authority 2.1 speaker system this weekend. 100 watts peak power with a sub woofer. Wow. It has very high quality sound with wonderfull bass.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-08-2005).]

#196429 - 03/08/05 01:11 PM Re: One man band software
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
rikkisbears, I think I will do just as you said.

Starkeeper, I'm not asking for a fill to self. OMB already has one (and only one).
What I mean is,say variation A is playing and I press fill CC. After fill CC plays, the accompaniment should go back to variation A and not change to variation C (as it currently does).

[This message has been edited by Jick Duck (edited 03-08-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Jick Duck (edited 03-08-2005).]

#196430 - 03/08/05 01:25 PM Re: One man band software
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Jick,
actually that does sound like a good one.

Rather than a FIll TO an actual Fill IN, but with a choice of any of the 4 fills.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jick Duck:
[B]What I mean is,say variation A is playing and I press fill CC. After fill CC plays, the accompaniment should go back to variation A and not change to variation C

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#196431 - 03/08/05 01:44 PM Re: One man band software
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
yes I know, I spotted your post last night in the OMB user group, but didn't have the time to comment. "Sounds" like you're getting yourself all set up. A good speaker system makes a big difference.

best wishes
Rikki
p.s.
"does OMB have configuration setups, so that you can press a button and have OMB in a different setup"
are you reffering to settings or having a style setup ready for your next song song?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B] Hey Rikki,
I purchased an Acoustic Authority 2.1 speaker system this weekend. 100 watts peak power with a sub woofer. Wow. It has very high quality sound with wonderfull bass.
Starkeeper

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#196432 - 03/09/05 07:24 AM Re: One man band software
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I'm usually busy on the weekend (the only time I have access to my computer), so I haven't had time to try connecting my Roland to the sound system and see if it improves the sound quality.
Even though I really like the sound using AnotherXG, I would still like to try converting the styles and see what they would sound like using the Roland as a sound source. I suspect that the Bases on my Roland are not as good as on my Yamaha or on AnotherXG.
Starting to investigate purchasing a medium quality soundfont or vst. Sonic Implants looks interesting. I like the idea of being able to buy an instrument voice.
I don't need to buy a whole new keyboard just to get a new instrument voice. I will soon find out if they can match the quality of my keyboards. I still find it hard to believe that 8 megs of wave ROM on a keyboard have more quality then 34 megs of AnotherXG or 44 megs of SYnergi GS.
Starkeeper

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online