SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#196255 - 07/10/05 03:04 AM Need advice from pros who are gigging
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Hello to everyone

I've played piano for a lot of years and never gigged other than playing at parties for friends and family. Late in '04 and after using an arranger keyboard at home I decided to start gigging for parties and retirment homes. An old friend of mine who also plays keyboard and is a OMB initially helped me out and sent a few jobs my way to get me started. I'm now frustrated because my gigs seem to be few and far between. (since last October I've played about 10 gigs) As a way to get my name out there I've also just volunteered my to play at a church fall festival in October for no fee and also at a Starbucks coffe shop for tips only. Something just isn't clicking, I'd like to play a couple of gigs a week.

To help build the number of gigs I recently participated in an entertainer's showcase for nursing home directors where 14 musician's and singers including myself each played a 15 minute set. After everyone played the directors then could book us at there facilities. Most entertainers got 25 plus bookings out of the event. I got 4, not too encouraging!!

Somthing just isn't clicking, I'm not sure what it is?? I'm using a PSR3000 and don't sing. I would appreciate any advice from any OMB on what I really need to do to get busy. I have a web site steveonpiano.com where you can hear a sample of my playing. Thanks in advance for your help.

#196256 - 07/10/05 04:30 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hi, from your post ,one thing that stands out.."I don't sing".
You may want to work on some songs that you can sing ...you don't have to be a great singer..with your PSR3000, the background arranging and vocal harmonizer will add to your performance..
When you play "non dancing" locations , such as nursing homes..vocals are pretty much a must...At dancing venues, you can get by without vocals..

Is your pricing in line with the other performers? Don't price yourself too high or too low[setting your price too low, may give the opinion that you are not worth the competition level..]

It may be better for you to use a booking agent that specializes in nursing homes..this may give you more bookings..
Good luck, Fran

#196257 - 07/10/05 05:20 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I would think those types of gigs demand that someone sing, so, add a singer and maybe you'll dramatically change your situation.

#196258 - 07/10/05 05:43 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Stephenm52,

One-off showcases are fine but the problem is just that: they're a one-off.

Have you got yourself a good promo package together? There have been some very good pointers in the past on this forum on putting up a good demo package. Try a search.

Good luck!

#196259 - 07/10/05 06:36 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Stephen,

As Fran says, if you don't sing, it's gonna' be difficult at best. Though there are some folks who cannot carry a tune in a five-gallon bucket, most everyone can be taught to sing. I suggest checking into vocal programs offered by your local commumity college. Most have them, they are very reasonable and by the end of a few monts of training, you'll be amazed at the results.

After taking the singing lessons, put together a top-notch promotional package, one that jumps out with great photos, a CD, song lits, and a bio. All of these are very important to prospective clients.

Send out a flyer or card with a half-price offer, one that will at least get you in the door for that first time in locations where you hope to perform in the future. Include a CD witth the card or flyer--it works.

Learn to interact with the audience. I've seen lots of great musicians that sit down at the piano or keyboard, begin playing and never say a word to the audience between songs. You want to acheive the same intimate relationship with your audience that you had when you were performing for friends and family--a relaxed atmosphere where everyone is enjoying the music and having fun.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#196260 - 07/10/05 07:54 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
Dnj Offline

Not singing is a big down side to an act & venues like you describe thats fine for restaurant gigs but in front of a captive audience you gotta be an ENTERTAINER.......
I would video tape your act in full ....then watch it over and over as to how you can improve it.....then have your friends and strangers alike watch it and tell you what they think and how you can improve it.....then ultimatly get a singer which will cut your pay in half Argg! OR learn how to sing very well....competition is very stiff out there....as an analogy....You go to a good Restaurant, the food is good? You go home and tell your friends to go there to eat because it was good!!! Same in the entertainment business......

Good Luck

#196261 - 07/10/05 09:33 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Hi Stephen.please take the positives from this post. I am sayimg what i say to encourage you and not bring you down. I am being honest as i think you need to know why you are not getting the quantity of bookings that you want.

I went to your site and listerned to your performance of " Grown Accustomed to her face" Your performance is fine for private friends parties as they are already rooting for you but you will struggle to hit the mark if people are paying for your service unless you provide more than just the basic song.You need toi watch your timing too.

To win an audience over with just the music and no vocals is a hard thing to do and you need to be an outstanding musician.

Entertaining people (which is what you have to consider yourself as being paid to do in a OMB set up) is more than just about nice music. You have tomake people feel good and that takes personality and Charisma. You need to project that personality from behind a keyboard and you need to find some way of getting theaudience to participate and interact with you.That way you can gauge if they are feeling as good about the performance as you are. The statement you made about " something just isnt clicking "indicatses that you are not getting any feed back about your performance. Feedback is essentiall if you want to take your music carreer seriously. The good news is that you are not awful or you would definately get feedback !!The not so good news is possibly that people are being polite by saying nothing if they did not reaaly appreciate your performance.On your next gig , ask a friend to come tothe show and watch both you and the audience and ask them to feedback how they believe the audience participated or intereacted with the performance.

If you cant sing , then build something else into your show, like maybe telling jokes as wellas playing, or telling stories of the good old days (especially at retirement homes ) whilst playing appropriate music over the top. But you must interact with your audience. Best of luck mate.

#196262 - 07/10/05 09:43 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
One of the nursing homes I play at books me a year in advance, 12 monthly dates at a time. The last time I talked to the booker, she did not mention music at all. In fact she never has. She said the reason I get called back is because I "talk to the residents."

#196263 - 07/10/05 11:19 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello, I do not sing either, and I am starting getting more jobs than other keyboardist that sing......you wonder?...I arrived in the Phoenix Arizona area only 2 years ago, and I began to work in the "Tea dances", nursing homes, RVs, etc....and most of this places book 1,2 even 3 years in advance...
I play with a PSR 3000 and a Korg PA60, I did have a Ketron SD1 too....
One thing I can say, I do NOT use SMFs....I PLAY....and I guess people like my music, I do have a lot of repertoire, and I try not to repeat songs in the same place, or if I do, I play them in diferent way....or use another styles...someone sid to me long ago, if you became predictable, you became boring....Hope it helps.

------------------
mdorantes

#196264 - 07/10/05 03:52 PM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
Beakybird Offline

I make a living doing the nursing/retirement circuit. I think singing is essential, unless you are a monstrously good keyboard player.

If you can sing by yourself, that would be preferable, because in the nursing/retirement home venue, the pay is limited. I average about $120 per hour performance - some gigs paying $175-$200/hr., but a lot of gigs paying $100 or just over $100.

If you had to split this with another person in another car, you won't ever be able to quit your day gig.

It is important to have charisma and to entertain the audience. I'm sure I could do more. I often read the joke section of Reader's digest, look at clean joke books, or listen to the clean joke station on my satelite radio. These give me a lot of good ideas for patter inbetween songs.

I would say, don't get discouraged. It might take years to get a lot of gigs in your schedule. But practice and make sure you do as good of a job as possible.

When I started, I guess I wasn't as good as I am now, and there are some activity directors who have last heard me 5 - 7 years ago who will not hire me based on what I did back then. Little does it matter that I am a hit at hundreds of nursing and retirement homes.

Good luck!

Beakybird

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online