uxt150 Offline

Loc: brooklyn ny usa
The new Ketron sound module SD-3 came in today available at your local retailer

Ted Kraus
CMC DIstributors

#194111 - 08/08/07 08:37 AM Re: New Ketron sound module
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Cool module, but come on man..., over $2000 for a freakin sound module! I like Ketron, but geez are they overpriced. Plus the built in HD dosen't justify a higher price anymore considering how cheap HD's are now. Looking at the Ketron US page you'll see the the optional HD is $350, and another $180 for the vocalizer, and expanded pattern memory will run you another $108--YIKES!! **Even the little SD-2 costs over $300--I think closer to $400**

I think part of Ketron's problem isn't just that they're not too well known here, but they've outpriced themselves for the US market. Even the SD-5 costs over $2,000! I mean no dis-respect to you, but high end arrangers are already grossly overpriced when compared to other pro keyboards.

I love seeing dedicated synth junkies buying good arrangers, but it's very hard to justify the price difference of (I'll use Yamaha for example), a $3,500 Tyros 2, and a Motif XS6 that costs over $1,000 less. People can justify it by saying "oh consider the styles", but I say poo doo on that because what makes the tools of a pro arranger more important than the tools of a pro synth player?

**Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but man when is someone going to say "enough is enough" with these crazy prices on pro arrangers, and sound modules**

There's a reason a lot of store don't carry high end arrangers..., the cost of the unit often results in the potential buyer leaving with a sour taste. When I was at Guitar Center not too long ago, I was listening to a guy playing with the Tyros II. Some how he didn't see that $3,500 price tag in BIG RED numbers in front of him. He loved the Tyros sounds, but when he saw the price **no joke** I watched a mother cover her childs ears because of his response to it....

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-08-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#194112 - 08/08/07 09:26 AM Re: New Ketron sound module
uxt150 Offline

Loc: brooklyn ny usa
Squeak_D

I can very well understand your frustration regarding the high price for Ketron arrangers and sound modules alongside the other brands of arrangers.

The reason the Italian manufactured Ketron brand is not cheaper then other brands is because of the dollar Vs euro situation As these keyboards are unique being manufactured entirely in Italy we lost about 35% of the dollar value in the last 2 years hopefully when the exchange rate improves we will be able to negotiate better pricing

Ted Kraus
CMC Dist

#194113 - 08/08/07 09:29 AM Re: New Ketron sound module
squeak_D Offline

Again..., sorry I hi-jacked your thread. My frustration is also due to the amount of work I've put into helping some local stores "attempt" to build a keyboard department. Getting in the lower end arrangers, and even some high end synth-workstations wasn't hard to sell to the store owner.

However, everytime I tried to introduce the idea of a high end arranger.., man it went south fast. It wasn't shot down at first mention, but once the store owners saw what the dealer prices would be to them, and what they'd have to sell them for--well I'm sure you can figure out the rest.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#194114 - 08/08/07 09:31 AM Re: New Ketron sound module
Dnj Offline

And may I add WELL WORTH IT!!

Ketron is really leading the way under the radar. I'll say this now IMHO the SD1+ is the BEST sounding arranger workstation I have every owned or performed on stage with to date!

There I said it & I'm proud of it!

#194115 - 08/08/07 09:35 AM Re: New Ketron sound module
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
To continue the hijack, mid to top of the line arrangers aren't a mass market item thats for sure.

#194116 - 08/08/07 09:45 AM Re: New Ketron sound module
squeak_D Offline

Not in the USA they're not....

The biggest thing that made me want to grab a Yamaha rep by the neck and choke the livin shit out the arrogant jerk was a comment he made to me that's (like it or not) a major contributing factor to arranger prices--and that's "intended market".

That snot nose jerk wasn't shy about saying it's the old folks that are willing to pay that price. Ohhhhhh that made me sooooo mad! He was such a snob. After he made that comment I knew he felt the death rays shooting from my eyes straight into his face!

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-08-2007).]

#194117 - 08/08/07 11:39 AM Re: New Ketron sound module
Dnj Offline

Easy Squeak before you blow a vessel....

Just sit back & think how wonderful all these KB's are & what it took to design this equipment for our enjoyment compared to just a few short years ago. If something can make you happy in our short lives
ITS PRICELESS in my book. Give people their due who go thru the process to produce these instruments.....everyone needs to make a living....if something is beyond reach there are many alternatives people can seek to come close to their desires in music or anything else for that matter. Or think of the less fortunate & how lucky we really are.
Calm down & smell the roses my friend

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a Job You Love, and you will Never have to Work a Day in Your Life! ”

#194118 - 08/08/07 12:02 PM Re: New Ketron sound module
squeak_D Offline

I'm calm I just don't like hearing that "our price is there because we can get old people to pay it". That's just wrong. I actually called the guy an a$$hole to his face. Here's the catch though...., because of the reps attitude and snobby remarks Yamaha keyboards were never orderd for the store.

It goes to show to the big companies that your reps can kill your business.

#194119 - 08/08/07 03:17 PM Re: New Ketron sound module
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Until arrangers are re-tooled to appeal to younger players, they will continue to be a disappearing breed in the USA. MOST of the dealers that ARE qualified to carry Tyros2's and higher end PSRs (S900 etc.), Roland G and E-series and PA1X's will not carry them.

They are a very poor comparison to any modern workstation for anything other than classic rock and oldies styles. And a LOT of the older, working professionals are wary of the flimsy build quality (having grown up on keyboards made to higher standards). So, a small percentage of an even smaller percentage are the only 'target customers' of these VERY expensive arrangers. No dealer is going to be interested in carrying a product WAY more expensive than most workstations that appeals to less than 1% of his market.

QUANTITY is what drives prices down. Until they design arrangers to appeal to the same market as workstations (the VAST majority of which are bought by players under 35), the market will continue to shrink, quantity will continue to plummet, and prices will only get higher...

If you are looking for a new TOTL arranger, better get it soon.... We have all seen what happened to organs over the last 30 years. Few manufacturers make them any more (as very few youngsters decided to play them) and the few that do command appalling boutique prices for essentially unmovable furniture.

Sound familiar?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online