SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139068 - 08/12/07 02:05 PM NP-30.., Some more thoughts.. :)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Just a few more thoughts on the NP-30 after really digging in and disecting the preset sounds.

First.., for a $299 76 key digital the preset piano sounds are more than sufficient. However, to a person who is more finiky about their piano sounds there is an area that might bother you--just a little bit though.

Here's the thing.., this will depend heavily on your hearing, and what high frequencies your ears are currently capable of picking up. What I'm going to point out has to do with "high frequency noise, or ringing" within the piano samples on the NP-30.

Now this noise isn't so horrible that it gets in the way of playing and isn't on every single key, but if you're capable of hearing the high end frequencies well you'll notice these imperfections that reside within the preset piano voices. They're not bad, so please don't think this board is suddenly unacceptable, but there are a few spots within the range of the keybed that have a little extra "ring". We all know as we age our hearing in the higher frequencies lessens, so (and I don't mean this in any negative way to any of you) some of you may not even notice this at all-if you ever play the NP-30

Also keep in mind though this is a digital that cost less than $300 so in the end it's still a budget keyboard. I honestly have to say that I think Yamaha has out-done themselves with the NP-30. The more I play it the more I love it. I just can't get passed the $299 price tag. When you feel the keys and really get into "classical" playing for example I think you'll come to appreciate those graded keys.

Actually let me point something out about the keys. I stated in my original review these keys are not the same keys on the YPG or DGX models (the unweighted models). This is a new keybed for Yamaha, and shockingly enough Yamaha put this new keybed on an entry level keyboard. How this keybed wasn't saved for the non-weighted YPG's is beyond me.

If you're used to synth action keys you will without question notice a "stiffness" to the NP-30's keys. They are not fully weighted, but have just the right amount of resistance to them, and they are an absolute joy to play.

Another thing to note is "speaker placement". Typically you'll find on these Yamaha stage pianos or digitals like the NP-30 that the speakers are directly on top of the unit. With the NP-30 Yamaha brought the speakers down to the right and left side of the keys, and angled them. It was a very simple yet clever thing for Yamaha to do.

I also want to comment on the VERY POSITIVE impact the speaker placement and number of keys have on the player. Since this keyboard is 76 keys and the speakers are to the direct "left and right" of the player you truly can hear the "stereo" sampling. With 61 keys the speakers are closer and the stereo field is shortened. I would have to say that a big part of the "good feel" to the NP-30's sound is those speakers being where they are and the unit having 76 keys (that provide a more spacial stereo effect) when playing.

Ok I'll shut up now and quit running my mouth. I will try to post some sound demos of the NP-30 later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Best to all.
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#139069 - 08/12/07 02:41 PM Re: NP-30.., Some more thoughts.. :)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Squeak ..a whole post without any colorful language

Squeak , when you layer piano and strings, and use a hold pedal..How does the drop out after polyphony runs out,,react..Does it just shut off like the early PSR's or drop off very noticeable like the PSR9000 did/does?

Or has it been improved enough with allocation of main voices[like the other guy. ]...?????

Squeak is there an audio input?

#139070 - 08/12/07 03:05 PM Re: NP-30.., Some more thoughts.. :)
squeak_D Offline

Fran, I'll test that poly issue out after dinner. Always fun to see how much a keyboard can take in terms of poly It doesn't have an audio input jack. Would be nice though. Also.., it doesn't have L/R outputs either. Just the typical Yamaha headphone/output jack, BUT this unit has midi I/O jacks, unlike some of the other models Yamaha has decided to drop this most BASIC feature. Sure USB can be nice, but it's not nice when you want to control an external board that has midi jacks.

**Again, consider the price of this thing. For $299 it's a bargain**
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#139071 - 08/12/07 09:55 PM Re: NP-30.., Some more thoughts.. :)
Creepy-Fingers Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
"high frequency noise, or ringing" within the piano samples on the NP-30.

I had a speaker for my PC that used to do that noise, and it was annoying as hell. I trashed it and bought a new one.

Waiting for the demo though...

#139072 - 08/13/07 04:50 AM Re: NP-30.., Some more thoughts.. :)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm disappointed it doesn't have audio out L/R jacks...the headphone thingy is marginal at best.

Mine should arrive in a week...they were sold out so I have to wait.

In spite of it's few shortcomings, I think it will sell like hotcakes.

76 notes with graded action for $299 is a real bargain.

Ian

#139073 - 08/13/07 05:13 AM Re: NP-30.., Some more thoughts.. :)
Creepy-Fingers Offline

squeak_D I hope that you'd highlight those noises in the demo, let us see how bad are those.

#139074 - 08/13/07 12:23 PM Re: NP-30.., Some more thoughts.. :)
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
Since it has only one headphones output, how can it be connected to a mixer using L/R separatly?...

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Luis.Santos (edited 08-13-2007).]

#139075 - 08/13/07 01:17 PM Re: NP-30.., Some more thoughts.. :)
squeak_D Offline

You'll need to use a Y adapter. You can pick one up for a few bucks at Radio Shack. I used a Y adapter to get the sound to record in stereo on my Fostex digital 8 track recorder (MR-8B)

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-13-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online