SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192766 - 01/26/02 09:24 AM GEM Genesys Fun
Clif Anderson Offline

I assembled a cropped version of Scott Yee Genesys photo, plus the specs, plus George Kaye's preview and studied it several times. This keyboard is clearly an advance is sound quality, ergonomics, and integration. But what impresses me the most is the many different ways of having fun with this keyboard.

Play an MP3 with lyrics file (which you can create on the Genesys), remove the vocals, replace with you own vocals (with harmony) and paly along while reading lyrics on the large display, and record the result to harddisk, then make your own CD. I think this keyboard might be a good way to get kids and students involved in music production.

I know I can play SMF files on my computer, but I like to play them on my PSR-8000 and play along. With the Genesys I can use .kar files and read the lyrics to boot.

Play at a wedding gig or party and provide a CD of selected performances at the party's end. During breaks in a gig, the CD player is available through the same sound system for continuous music.

#192767 - 01/26/02 11:43 AM Re: GEM Genesys Fun
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Clif,
There are programs to easily convert .kar to .mid/with lyrics files. The best I've found is GNmidi. Incidentally, the PSR2000 reads .kar files without conversion, as does the PA80. I would expect Yamaha to add this function to the 9000 and Pro via upgrade, but I guess they haven't yet.
The GEM is indeed an intriquing instrument.
Donnie,
I used the 9000 and powered speakers only a few times. No problems other than only one mic input.
DonM

#192768 - 01/26/02 02:36 PM Re: GEM Genesys Fun
Dnj Offline

Don,

The Barbetta Sona 32 Pro Combo amps I use http://www.barbetta.com/Live/Sona_32/sona_32.html

There are more then enough inputs/outputs, EQ's to create a very nice sound and eliminate the use of a mixer. Use 2 Sona 32's and have twice the fun!

#192769 - 01/26/02 06:15 PM Re: GEM Genesys Fun
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks, Don(s)

I overlooked the .kar feature on the PSR-2000 and PA-80. I know about GNMidi, but I appreciate anything that helps me avoid a conversion step.

Clif

#192770 - 01/28/02 10:15 AM Re: GEM Genesys Fun
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Donnie,

The keyboard is said to be about 55 lbs, but with the shape of it, you have to figure another 25 or more lbs for a case (I don't think it will go well in a regular box-shaped one). I know you mentioned before that you like carrying heavy things to gigs, but I draw the line at 50 lbs carry weight.

Regards,
Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K (edited 01-28-2002).]

#192771 - 01/28/02 11:46 AM Re: GEM Genesys Fun
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Why not just use a small hard disk recorder for recording ? vs. the way they present the Genisis ? just my opinion .
I play midi sequences off my SD1 ( very happy with sound quality) . Add my harmonized parts via harmonizer . I am not so sure that having all this on the keyboard is a good thing . How much ? Over $3000.00 . How well will it extract the vocal parts from a CD or MP3 ? You also can not edit individual tracks of an audio CD or MP3 . Is that correct ? dano

#192772 - 01/28/02 02:09 PM Re: GEM Genesys Fun
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
DanO,

Clearly this functionality is not to replace a full functional studio But to complement it. For example, so many times I have to create a quick audio cd from the keyboard and I have less than an hour. Having CDR on the keyboard and the functionality to support it is very helpful.

Transfering audio part to the studio via a cd is sometimes preferrable than real-time transfer.

I do not see this keyboard as a mini-studio. I see it as a keyboard with new functionality to support those who already have a studio and do studio work. For sk880ps with all options: I paid close to $3000. If users in this forum are happy to pay $3000 for Yamaha PSR9Kpro, I think this is worth it.

#192773 - 01/29/02 04:08 AM Re: GEM Genesys Fun
technicsplayer Offline

surely removing the vocals from an audio cd or mp3 is just manufacturer's bulls***?

this is done by antiphasing the channels and requires a vocal of pure mono, which they never are.

I have not come across a decent track yet where you can remove a vocal without leaving harmonic and dsp artifacts and leaving a very phasey and echoy bathroom sounding instrumental.

#192774 - 01/29/02 04:55 AM Re: GEM Genesys Fun
Clif Anderson Offline

It seems to me that the CDR was added primarily as a way of transferring data to and from the internal hard disk. Once the decision was made to include the CDR drive, then someone must have given some thought of what else could be done with it. While many of the advances in the Genesys are geared toward quality and convenience, the vocal removal aspect appears more geared toward home entertainment. This is just a fun feature that GEM added because they could without too much expense. It does not have to be perfect to be fun. If it were perfect, it would still have little commercial use due to copyright restrictions.
As something that could be added for more fun at little cost, I think the karaoke features are a plus.

Arranger enthusiasts are familiar with the weird mentality that adding a feature somehow diminished the value of an instrument. I think if Korg or Kurzweil added arranger features (which could be turned off) to their Triton or K2600, respectively, they would sell less well. However, I think this reflects badly on the customer base. In this case, GEM has included karaoke features in a keyboard--so does that make it better or worse?

#192775 - 01/29/02 04:58 AM Re: GEM Genesys Fun
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
[B]The keyboard is said to be about 55 B]

Once you cross that 40-44lb mark the "bulk-factor" increases ...... a lOT. At 50 lbs the PSR9000 was a bear to manipulate, any higher is just not smart packaging.
I'm going to need a lot of convincing to even audition this one. I have never found a Gem product that pleased me with sounds or ease of use. They don't sell well in my part of the world either. On the US East coast - you never see them in operation....or even in the stores, for that matter.
Sounds like another "Wersi-wannabee" in other words - big, expensive, and nobody wants them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online