SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#191548 - 10/30/03 06:06 PM Tyros....Questions on String Sustain!!!
Deacon Offline

Loc: Harrisville,Pa USA
Hello...This is my first post,I have been reading this Great Forum for about one and half years...I just purchased a Tyros...I notice the Sustain on the Strings Voices drop out fairly quickly Even when Holding the Sustain Pedal...I Need the Strings Sustain to hold until I release the Sustain Pedal...Even when my fingers have released the Keys...I Play alot of Piano Full Keyboard, Some with Styles...Alot with Strings, Pads,Vocals Etc. added with the Pianos....My Keytron SD-1 and Roland Synth Modules Hold the Sustained notes until You release the Pedal...Along with my Wifes Technics P-50x Stage Piano...Why did Yamaha set the String vioces up this way?...I did look to Internal editing some, I really don't want to change to Structure of the Voice(Attack,Release, etc)....OR Do I Have To?..Do I have to Use The Tools CD-rom with the computer to achieve this?...Can anyone Please help me with this?...I love Play Strings(Piano/Strings) in the Lower Octive, Hold the Sustain with the Pedal, release my fingers go to the upper octives, add more notes, etc and then release the Sustain and Notes at my Choosing....Thank You!

#191549 - 10/30/03 07:22 PM Re: Tyros....Questions on String Sustain!!!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
You can have sustain added to the Strings with the 'Left Hand' Voice with the "Hold" button activated. This will allow you to have the Left Hand Voice 'Hold' or, for another word, 'Sustain' indefinitly until you press a Right Hand Voice Note or Chord. The Right Hand Voices such as Strings, etc. will Sustain after the hand[s] are released from the Keys and the Sustain Pedal continues to be pressed; for roughly 4 seconds with a gradual fadeout from second 1 to total fade out at second 4 {approx.} Limitation?? I'm not sure. Feature??? Possibly. Because with the Left Hand "Hold" feature you are essentially getting what you want, ie., 'String sustain {indefinite} after you release the Sustain Pedal then you go up Octave[s] hit some Keys and then the String sustain from the Left Hand Voice is terminated whilst your Right Hand Voice[s] will Sustain with the press of the Sustain Pedal and will have the Sustain fade-out when the Pedal is released. With good coordination with the Left Hand Voice and Right Hand Voice[s] whilst playing with 'both' hands and the "Split Point" of the Keyboard set optimally for your Style of playing you could really achieve some great sustained full sounding Strings. Another often overlooked feature is the 'Harmony' button used in conjunction with Sustain and also with the Left Hand Voice 'Hold' function. You might be surprised at just how good your Strings can sound. Although the 'Harmony' will only work when the Style Accompaniment section of the Keyboard is playing a Chord (left side of Style Accompaniment Split Point) first. You can also get it to work by playing a left hand 'Note' "first" (then) playing a right Hand melody Note and or Chord. PS: This info is what is produced when the Chord Fingering in the Function Settings is set to Full Keyboard mode. Other fingering modes may produce different results.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: I should mention some Keyboard effects on the Tyros such as an 'Octave' "effect" when playing certain Voices, eg., 'Grand Piano', does NOT require left hand chords or Notes to be played first before the Harmony effect is added. You would be able to get the Harmony effect by pressing the Harmony button and simply play right hand melody notes and or chords. There would be no need to play Left hand chords or notes first to get the 'Octave' "effect". There are some other Voice effects other than the 'Octave' effect that also do NOT require left hand Chords or Notes to be played first to get the Harmony effect added to the Voice[s] depending on the Voice. Others may be able to add their opinion and knowledge to this topic also.

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-30-2003).]

#191550 - 10/31/03 02:30 AM Re: Tyros....Questions on String Sustain!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I haven't tried this on the Tyros, but on the PSR9000, and on other arrangers, and synths, there are TWO types of sustain. Piano sustain and Synth sustain which are settable within the O/S Utility function.

Synth sustain will HOLD ALL NOTES until you release the sustain pedal. Piano sustain will only hold the notes for a certain DECAY setting usually programmed into the sample.

Check the tyros manual for this feature.

Hope that helps.
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#191551 - 10/31/03 04:03 AM Re: Tyros....Questions on String Sustain!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The better string sounds on the Tyros will all sustain in that weird manner. Organs too. The workaround is to use an XG sound as a layer. You'll find them tucked away in a folder called GM/XG. I don't know why Yamaha does this either, but the brass, organs and strings all seem to have this "new" way of sustaining built into the sound.

Digital players have come to rely on the sustain to fill holes and give us time to move our hands to different positions and perform other tasks during a performance. This is not an improvement, nor does it create a beneficial effect IMO.

I really doubt that many Yamaha designers actually PLAY these PSR's in a "gigging" ( )situation, otherwise they'd have come to grips with the little tricks we do, and miss some of those features on the expensive stuff. Seems simple to me ..... sustain means ..... uh, sustain, right?

#191552 - 10/31/03 07:45 AM Re: Tyros....Questions on String Sustain!!!
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
While speaking of sustain of voices, how about the style itself. Does anyone think that some styles drop-off too quickly at the "end" of an auto-ending? Not all are like that. But on some styles, I find I have to overdub various sustaining parts to hold the chord longer, more or less to emulate the sound/style of a live band. Do long, smooth fades require a lot more memory storage, or whatever you call it?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online