SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#190748 - 04/25/06 07:51 AM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
AJ, Frank...I downloaded the 79 meg SGM180...
What do I do with it now?

I use Forte to host Hyper Canvas, Super Quartet, VSCDXi, M-Audio Key Rig, Orchestral and B4...

I never used fonts..How do I set up to try the SGM180?

Details please!!

#190749 - 04/25/06 09:02 AM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Bachus Offline

Sample size will not be a sad thing, as many of the top knotch samplers that use Gigasampler format (like Gigastudio and Kontakt) play these samples directly from disk. And so not needing huge ammounts of memmory (though i would atleast get 2 gigs in my main DAW)

I am trying to figure out which samplers use direct from disk playing. I have 2 sets of Raid 0 paired disks in my Computer. which makes fast diskuse easy.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#190750 - 04/25/06 12:18 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Fran,

You'll need to unzip the SGM180 font and place it in the folder of your choice ( It inflates to approx 180 mb ). You will then need to open it up in a soundfont compatible sampler or app, or as the soundfont for a Soundblaster card if you have one of those.

If you don't have a soundfont capable app, here is the link to one that you can use ( it's freeware too btw ): http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz.htm

SFZ will open up as a VST plugin in your favorite host. Then you simply identify the folder where your SGM180 and other soundfonts are kept, and load them into SFZ from there.

AJ

#190751 - 04/25/06 12:18 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
AJ, Frank...I downloaded the 79 meg SGM180...
What do I do with it now?

I use Forte to host Hyper Canvas, Super Quartet, VSCDXi, M-Audio Key Rig, Orchestral and B4...

I never used fonts..How do I set up to try the SGM180?

Details please!!

Believe you need "Live Synth PRO" or some other Dxi host.
Frank can confirm that.
AJ will have laternatives.
If you get this working. Let us know what your impressions are.
Star

#190752 - 04/25/06 03:38 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
AJ, Frank, Star...I have decided to purchase BandStand tomorrow..Prepaid order..Do you guys think ..I, as a happy Hyper Canvas user..will be pleased with Band Stand...

I am hoping I can use it in the same manner as Hyper Canvas..Forte host, VanBasco player, to play SMF's...and a real time part[s] live with a keyboard controller..

Pull no punches..Is it a good thing or not worth the upgrade...Since I have not been able to demo at any place[stores], only the MP3 demos/including the SMF to compare my Hyper Canvas...your input is vital...

In my comparison, some things I liked over the Hyper Canvas, and other things[clarity] I did prefer Hyper Canvas..

If this Bandstand is "buggy" ...it will drive me "Buggy"..

BTW, I tried to get the soundfonts up and running without success..

#190753 - 04/25/06 06:47 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Fran, Bandstand is not ready for general live performances given it takes to long to load the instruments. This causes significant problems when there are changes in instruments in the middle of a style or midi file. The SGM180 would be a better choice until NI comes up with a smaller wavetable for Bandstand. For lead instruments there are better quality wavetables, e.g., Colossus, GPO, JABB, etc.

#190754 - 04/25/06 07:45 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Bluezplayer Offline

I agree with Frank concerning Bandstand.

Fran, As I think about what you are looking to do, I realize that SFZ ( the freeware version ) isn't a good choice, because I think it only allows for one channel of playback per instance.

I use Live synth pro to host the SGM180, and it works like a charm, but it is no longer in production. Perhaps Frank or someone else here has a better solution. If not, I can test some of the other apps I have and give you a report on how they work.

AJ

#190755 - 04/25/06 08:17 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Bluezplayer Offline

I got one for you Fran. Kenneth Rundt's Synthfont. It's freeware. I had downloaded this quite a while back but never really tried it. It's available here: http://www.synthfont.com/

I just dl'd the updated version, set it up, made SGM180 the default Soundfont, and voila, it works like a charm, took less than 5 minutes to get it up and running after downloading. It plays my midifiles from within the program and allows me to load any soundfont I want, or any combination of soundfonts or vsti's. So if you wanted, you could assign B4 for an organ part, SGM180 for the rythym parts, and another Vsti, such as Plugsound's Fretted for the guitars, and then save this as an arrangement so it can be opened the same way next time. I think there is a vst version as well that will allow synthfont to open from within a host sequencer.

Kenneth also provides a free software named "Viena", which is very much like the Vienna soundfont editor made available by creative for their Soundblaster sf compatible cards. The main difference is that you don't need a SB card to use Kenneth's version.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-25-2006).]

#190756 - 04/25/06 09:08 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Fran, Bandstand is not ready for general live performances given it takes to long to load the instruments. This causes significant problems when there are changes in instruments in the middle of a style or midi file. The SGM180 would be a better choice until NI comes up with a smaller wavetable for Bandstand. For lead instruments there are better quality wavetables, e.g., Colossus, GPO, JABB, etc.

I think that they should just like Kontakt and gigasampler make Bandstand samples play directly from disk. and so illiminating load times. Next to that Most vst's are only suited for studio and home use because of loading times.

But there is a workaround for this problem Fran, if a midi track has instrument changes, set this part of your track as a different new track, most sequencershave more then 16 tracks, adn GM is still only 16 tracks.

This will be a problem though if you use OMB styles that have midi instrument changes. Maybe you can make the style change output channel instead of instrument, I am just a starter with OMB though.

[This message has been edited by Bachus (edited 04-25-2006).]

http://keyszone.boards.net

#190757 - 04/25/06 10:34 PM Re: Quality virtual instruments for live performance
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Fran,
let me repeat what Frank said. Bandstand takes "ages" (5-20 seconds) to load all instruments when my keyboard sends program changes, and we are talking about drums, bass and 3 other instruments. (Styles in the Casio are 5 tracks).

When you try to load a midi file, it takes a lot more. I had to play the midi file, wait till it got to the program changes in the first (empty) measure , pause it, let it load and then continue playing to listen to it. Program changes within the song were even worse.

It sounds A LOT more "crisp" than Hypercanvas, especially if you play them head to head. It sounds equal or a little better than KeyRig GM that I think you already have.

On the other hand, electric guitars were a lot better in Hypercanvas.

Hypersonic 2 sounds as good as Bandstand in GM mode, and in synth mode will amaze you.
Don't rush.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online