I have been reading synthzone posts for a long time and have decided to finally get more involved. Usually whatever question I have has already been asked by someone else and I am able get all the info I need just lurking in the shadows.

I have recently become interested in softsynths or virtual instruments in a quest for the highest quality sounds available. Since many of you have already tested a number of the current products perhaps you can offer some recommendations and advice.

I need these for live performance so the times required for loading is a factor. If one uses a very fast processor and lots of memory can this “Loading time” issue be allieviated?

I have looked at the web site for East West/Quantum Leap’s Symphonic Orch and Colossus. These would be at the upper end of what I may be willing to spend $$$.

I’ve also looked into Gigastudio3, Kontact, and Bandstand which are more favorably priced. But I don’t want to make a purchase based on price alone since quality is the reason for beginning this quest. Any info you can offer will be greatly appreciated!