SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#189596 - 07/14/06 02:17 PM My first impressions of the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The following opinion is not necessarily the view of Synth Zone , it's moderator or it's advertisers.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of coffee...

I am probably going to jump around a bit[very unorganised]..I will be typing with two fingers as my brain says what it wants to say...even what it doesn't want to say..

I know most of you are thinking I am very prejudice towards Roland[in fact I am], but I will always give my honest input..Pro and Con..

Now a word from our sponsor..." Have you ever awaken feeling tired and run down..try Lipton tea..it works for me"....

I finally got a chance to put a Roland thru it's paces..I think I touched on every feature that it has..

After turning it on, I noticed it was an OS2 model..
The first thing I played was the Grand X piano..absolutely super...Although I think it is head and shoulders better than the Korg arrangers and the Yamaha arrangers...I feel that Roland's 700SX piano has better dynamics[control of the filter to round out the sounds]..Even though most of today's pianos are velocity layered, I still like to control the filter with velocity instead of velocity switching the samples.

This Grand X piano is way better than my G1000[favorite piano]. If you played naked piano , I would want the Grand X, but in the world of arranger play the G1000 piano holds it's own..

The second thing I noticed is how all the critics are "out to lunch" with negative comments of over done reverb and other effects..If anything I would add some more effects to certain instruments..The voices are quiet and clear [something I always liked with Roland]..
Now I only know of the OS2 model..maybe the first release needed work, but I have read of others knocking the OS2 sounds, and they are completely wrong[even if sounds are personal, their reasons are nonsense..].

Many people speak of poor quality styles..again they are "out to lunch".
Many are the best styles I have ever heard[and now..used]...
The G70 is very flexible when it comes to edited or changing styles..

Effects are plentiful for all instruments [ style and realtime instruments], and vocals[basic compression, delay,reverb, vibrato etc]..
The organ module section is just unsurpassed..only equalled by Roland's VK and VR instruments...

Sequenced playback is a mixed bag..Sound wise it is great..Selection and play is better than any current arrangers on the market...but it can't touch the G1000 for quickest selection and play from any keyboard mode...
The DisCover5 actually is a better SMF playback and harmonizer package than the G70.
The DisCover5 is less cluttered and easier to get around on stage than the G70, and for that matter all the Roland's do a better job live[on stage] in this area than Korg, Yamaha or Ketron..

Even the covers, part edits are easier on the DisCover5 than the G70.

Comparing the G70 to the G1000..All the things the G1000 can do...it does better than the same features on the G70[common features]..

The extra features the G1000 offers, I definitely miss on the G70..Chord sequencer, Control sliders, assignable buttons. Insert effects default button. Manual bass and assignable features to buttons that make realtime play more enjoyable..
Two sets of midi in,out and thrus..
Easier access to midi parameters, make the G1000 the better MIDI controller..

The sound source on the DisCover5 is almost identical to the G70 except for some very nice additional sounds [piano, brass, and there are a lot of oriental sounds and drums].

So to me that also means the vast majority sounds are the same as the VA series..

Roland has made it easy to have the best of it's line in one package..It is a great keyboard..True , most pro players will want to set it up to their specific needs, and indeed that is possible...but after I reset to factory settings..You can definitely play this board out of the box..[More nonsense comments about the negative "can't play without a lot of work setting up"]...

Roland has listened to too many Yamaha, Korg and Ketron people and potential customers..They have added useless features, that pro players don't need or want...The song finder list[although it works nice], it is limited to a single set up per song and [factory load] does not set up the one touch settings]..another useless feature to me..
Most pro players use their bread and butter favorite list of sounds [readily available]..
As for song finder list..Roland has had the best system for the last ten years..it is the user performance settings..Roland actually utilized the User performance feature calling it a Music assistant in the VA series....

If I was an owner of a Yamaha Tyros /Tyros2 arranger, I would seriously swap [part change] to the G70..The pluses the G70 offers..Guitar mode, SMf player and covers, VK organ, and the best vocalizer on the market..combined with the best key feel on the market[and 76 of them]...far out weigh the weight issue and the poorly designed HD recorder of the Tyros2..

For those of us[Alex K , Craig and others] that own and know how to use the G1000 [especially if you play professionally]..the G70 is taking a step backwards...we would be giving up too many things that are superior to the G70, Tyros2, SD1 etc..

My set up now with the G1000 and the DisCover5 works better on stage than the G70..Even though I have to set up another board..When the job calls for all the guns..that's what I am going to do..

If you don't have this combination[and probably don't know why I feel this way..No frustration on stage]...The G70 is a great board when measured against today's choices..

When I re collect my thoughts and rest my two fingers, I will comment on some other things on the G70 that I liked and some that had less desirable results..

I am sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes[but you should wear shoes anyway]..

Let me make one final point...Ten years from now..I walk into Cintioli's Music...and Benny says .."I found a G1000 and a G70 new in the box...You can have one or the other for a thousand dollars"...I will be leaving Benny's with a new in the box.....G.......1000....

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-14-2006).]

#189597 - 07/14/06 03:44 PM Re: My first impressions of the G70
nielshs Offline

Hi Fran

Thanks for you rewiev.

Quote:
The DisCover5 actually is a better SMF playback and harmonizer package than the G70.

I have just looked in the DisCover5 manual, and there is no difference. The G-70 has exactly the same SMF playback and harmonizer package.

Quote:
Even the covers, part edits are easier on the DisCover5 than the G70.

Maybe it’s because you have get used to the DisCover5 edit functions.
Quote:
Comparing the G70 to the G1000..All the things the G1000 can do...it does better than the same features on the G70[common features]..

That’s not the true. You know the G1000 much better than the G-70, right?

Quote:
The extra features the G1000 offers, I definitely miss on the G70..Chord sequencer, Control sliders, assignable buttons. Insert effects default button. Manual bass and assignable features to buttons that make realtime play more enjoyable..
Two sets of midi in,out and thrus..

The G-70 has assignable buttons. It only has one set of midi in, out and true, because you also can use the USB for midi.

Quote:
The sound source on the DisCover5 is almost identical to the G70 except for some very nice additional sounds [piano, brass, and there are a lot of oriental sounds and drums].

The some sounds = a lot of new sounds.

Quote:
My set up now with the G1000 and the DisCover5 works better on stage than the G70

How can you say it works better? It works better for you because its your good old setup and because you don´t know the G-70 good enough.

Regards Niels

#189598 - 07/14/06 03:58 PM Re: My first impressions of the G70
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[Fran, I enjoyed your report, you did not leave out too much.

For the last eight to ten years I wanted no other keyboard but my Technics, from KN2000 to the KN7000. I felt there was no comparison in sound, sequencer, or ability to work live with it on stage. I bought a Tyros out of curiosity, sold it, it did not do the job. I bought a second Tyros, tried again, sold it too, it did not do the job.

With the end of Technics I knew I had to make a move. I made a full commitment, sold the KN7 and bought a Tyros 2. With this dedication I found I can, as a professional do a better job with the Tyros 2, in almost every aspect of performing.

What I am saying is until a full commitment is made over a period of time – until your mind set begins to get a new view --- thinking like the new keyboard, you will stay with your original views.

I am not saying that the G1000 does not make it. I believe if I were using the keyboard for as long as you have and performed as you do, with the mind set of the G1000, I too would love it.

Each manufacturer puts a great deal of time into their design of their keyboard trying to give us the best. Until the tool is mastered you do not know the keyboard – you will use as you do your old keyboard.

What I have found through the years if it is new sound system, a new guitar or a new keyboard, you may play it at home or in a store and not find the correct answer. But---- as soon as I play it on the job I have my answer within minutes. Amen!

Only my opinion, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 07-14-2006).]

#189599 - 07/14/06 04:25 PM Re: My first impressions of the G70
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Oh how long ive waited for this moment. It was very very interesting reading your feelings on the g70. Do i detect a silent tear of slight disappointment though Fran ? Im looking foward to the sequel (frans e80 review )

#189600 - 07/14/06 04:46 PM Re: My first impressions of the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Niels
some of what you say may be true..Naturally the more you use something the easier it gets..but I am not a novice, especially when it comes to arrangers..Roland in particular..

Even though the DisCover 5 seems to be identical to the G70..The selection process and play control is different than the G70..The DisCover 5, because it is not an arranger has a simplified window that is always accessible to SMF's..High speed scroll or search window is always available..Make the selection and push play...

The G70 you have to push the first page to select "song" selection..then location..go thru pages to locate the song ..select and then play..This is too many steps [as the Tyros2]..
Add the fact you are going back and forth from arranger mode to sequence play..it is not as convenient, as the DisCover 5[one job to do]..Also the edit within a song are much easier because of dedicated buttons..The Covers are the same..

Comparing the G1000 to the G70..to me the edge definitely goes to the G1000 for what it does...First the sequence playback is much better on the G1000[in fact the sequence playback is better than the DisCover5 for speed and access]. I find selection, edits of sequences, saving as system exclusive, selection of tones and variations, selection of intros, variations, how I want fills to play, endings , break, retarding of tempo, and selection of endings..are all easier on the G1000..because of dedicated buttons and less button pushes..

On top of that the things the G1000 does that the G70 can not......I want the G1000..

Of course we can get use to the extra steps...but that does not make it better...

Keep in mind, because Roland has added all of their great products in one board..you do have to sacrifice some things...This sacrifice is dedicated buttons and the need for more menus...

The USB does not help if you are "midied" to other modules and midi port instruments. The flexibility of switching from port "A" to port "B"..allows for more complex Midi sets.

I do not dislike the G70..In fact if I had to buy a new keyboard..without a doubt I would buy the G70...Thankfully, I do not have to buy a new board,,As an arranger the G1000 does all I would hope to do.. The DisCover 5 gives all the SMF goodies and the best harmonizer money can buy...I just have to use them both if I need both worlds..

I can do any job with just my G1000... or the DisCover5 ..

Many of the same reasons I pick the G1000 over the G70..are the same reasons I picked[kept] the G1000 over the 3 VA7's I owned for three years[yes I was use to them and still sold them in favor of the G1000]..

I carefully checked out the G70 to see if it would improve my needs...It doesn't...

Other people will not be in my situation, and I have giving the G70 a stamp of approval in the current market....and as I am famous for saying..."Newer is not always better"

#189601 - 07/14/06 05:29 PM Re: My first impressions of the G70
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Fran,
I have to admit – you’ve got me going, if I came across a G1000 I think I would buy it out of curiosity.

John C.

#189602 - 07/14/06 05:38 PM Re: My first impressions of the G70
Fran Carango Offline

John, I have this bridge in Brooklyn, you can have cheap!!

#189603 - 07/14/06 06:47 PM Re: My first impressions of the G70
zuki Offline

Fran,

Great post. It makes me want to purchase a G1000, pull up a chair at your place and take notes. I too was very impressed at NAMM a while back with the Discover - most have given up on that one!

All in all, Roland products just have that 'real' total sound advantage over other models and it's hard for me to steer towards other makes, no matter what the OS might offer.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#189604 - 07/14/06 09:33 PM Re: My first impressions of the G70
Dnj Offline

Fran .....excellent honest G70 review as always , I wish I was with you but as you know I was performing. Your points are very valid and sensible regarding the new & old, as I also am a previous G1000 owner & player I can see your opinions and make sense of them for sure.... the G1000 is a hard act to follow for the pro player....to this day I still miss many of the navigational features which really worked soooooo sweetly compared to even my new Tyros 2!! On top of all that it there are No little pictures under the keys & it's BLACK !!! .......next the E-80

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-14-2006).]

#189605 - 07/14/06 10:31 PM Re: My first impressions of the G70
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
Hi fran thanks for that report. Its always good to hear other peoples opinions of this instrument. The key thing that your experience points to is the simple fact that if what you have already fulfilled your needs , why change ? You have very ably described the features that you felt were common in the instruments (G1000 and G70) and pointed to what you felt were the relative advantages etc. However what many G70 users have alluded to in previous posts is the editablility of the instrument compared to its predecesors. Do you not think that with some time and dedication you could be as comfortable with the G70 as you are with the G1000 ?

I have listened to some of the demos that you posted previously of the G1000 and there is no question in my mind that at least from the demos i would choose the G1000 over the G70 but dont you believe that with familiarity the G70 could sound better ?

I mean i dont agree with your opinion regarding the sound qualiy out of the box (but thats just different tastes possibly ) but if you like the sounds already without any tweaking surely that means the work for you to adapt the instrument to your needs is going to be much easier than for someone like me ?

What do you think ?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online