SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186153 - 09/19/04 12:06 AM My second PA1XPro Song
icyjamie Offline

Hello,

here's my second song. You may have guessed by now I'm into funk and jazz. This is a cry for help: I'm looking for good funky/jazzy styles, to support my type of playing (that doesn't mean I don't start up the ol' polka once in a while, but you get my drift). It may be commercially available styles as well.

James

Oh yes, the link to "the second song": http://users.telenet.be/jamesdepoorter/dressup.mp3

#186154 - 09/19/04 01:29 AM Re: My second PA1XPro Song
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Wow !!
Just heard your two songs. Played them over and over again. I am into the same kind of music (although I like to play around with all kinds of music, espescially as a "composer"), but I am planning to buy the Yamaha PSR3000. I also noticed that there are not many funk styles around (although technics has a few good ones but they need a lot of tweaking for the Yamaha). Of course Korg has different format of stylefiles. However hearing you play and your feel for rhythm I think you might give it a try to make styles yourself. (Does Korg has a good editor? Do you use a computer too?)
Do send us your songs.

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 09-19-2004).]

#186155 - 09/19/04 01:48 AM Re: My second PA1XPro Song
icyjamie Offline

It has a style editor, having the standard sequencing functionalities (copy/paste event editing, etc...)... Creating a style is a lot of work, because there are various parts to be created if you want the style to follow chords like Gm7/9 and the like. I tend not to use a computer, just to prove you can create music without having a lot of software to "help" you. I use it merely as a transport system, to transfer sounds, styles etc. from the internet/computer to the Korg.

James

[This message has been edited by icyjamie (edited 09-19-2004).]

#186156 - 09/19/04 03:58 AM Re: My second PA1XPro Song
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
DRDALET,

if you are into Funky stuff etc. you are ill-advised to buy the Yamaha PSR-3000.
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and sold it again yesterday. Good keyboard with manyfold possibilities and good sounds, but it just doesn't cut if for me. It sounds like a keyboard whatever else someone else may say, mind you a very good keyboard.
the KORGS on the other hand sound like a real band to me.
If you have the money go for the new PA-1X, if not the PA-80 (used) or even the brand new PA-50 which is only marginally less than the PA-80 and which you can pick up brand new for only 850 euros !!!!!

regards,
john smies

#186157 - 09/19/04 06:14 AM Re: My second PA1XPro Song
icyjamie Offline

I totally agree. I've compared both and with the PRS3000, there wasn't that "click" that I had with the PA1XPro. A person working at a music shop tried to differentiate between them like this:
The Tyros and PRS3000 are allround keyboards for people having an organesque background (or just like to have layers and layers of sounds), you may say the "classic" keyboardplayers (if there is such a thing as a "classic" keyboardplayer).
The Korg arrangers are more for people (formerly) playing in a band, and want to take their band back to home to practice and try out new stuff. They are not loaded with layered styles, you may call the styles "subtle".

In the end, they are all designed to create music, so choose the instrument that suits you best. Use the internet to learn about the instruments, listen to demo's, try them out in a local shop. That's how I did it, and I ended up with the PA1XPro, and it's here to stay.

Maybe another song to show the "realband" capabilities of the PA1XPro: http://users.telenet.be/jamesdepoorter/jumpy.mp3

James

#186158 - 09/19/04 08:34 AM Re: My second PA1XPro Song
drdalet Offline

John and James.

It's a difficult thing to do: choose the right keyboard. My musical background is mainly computerbased. Th CMI Fairlight had for me the best kind of sequencer on the market (called the Rhythm Sequencer) - yet I have never seen that kind of interface in any software sequencer. Yet I was satisfied with my Steinberg Pro24 and Cubase sequencers for the Atari 1024.
I guess with the sound of keyboards it's the same thing: there is no keyboard that can have the real quality sound that Fairlight had. I had a Kurzweil and a Fairlight running on MIDI, but even with heavy equalizing I couldn't get the Kurzweil lift to Fairlight's presence. It had to do with the quality of the samples.
However with EQ'ing you can get far and that is what all presentday keyboards do.
The samples are still heavy compressed (like mp3).
When I first heard the Yamaha Tyros, I was impressed with the sound. I still find Yamaha's voices incredible accurate with the real life instruments.
Technics and Korg have strong voices and are more like the instruments sound on records, with full "present-day" equalization, a bit harsh.
Trumpets have a naturally harsh sound and seem more realistic on Korg and Technics than on Yamaha. But the overall sound of Yamaha voices appeal to me. It's very personal and subjective, of course.
I totally agree that for Funk and Jazzrock that sound is better than the Yamaha, but for soft Jazz and Bebop I like the Yamaha sound better. Together with the enormous support of sites like psrtutorial and the unofficial Yamaha PSR resource site, and my interest in learning to make styles and work with computer software I am inclined to choose Yamaha.
If I had the money I probably would choose the Yamaha Tyros AND Motif ES6, Technics KN 2500 and Korg PXA1 61 key version. And it probably wouldn't stop there. Fact is: I am 55, playing for a hobby after not having played in bands for about 15 years and not having played at all for at least 9 years!
I want to pick it up again and I think the PSR3000 is good enough to make a restart in all I did before: play, compose and arrange.
If you go to my site - still under construction - you can hear what I did. The last photo in that page hides a demo I want to try on the Yamaha (exept for the original samples). It consists of three parts - in the last parts you will notice a mix of several styles: from small combo to classical to big band. All kinds of different trumpet sounds. Of course the qaulity isn't what Fairlight really sounded like.
Herco

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 09-19-2004).]

#186159 - 09/19/04 10:37 AM Re: My second PA1XPro Song
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
drdalet

it IS a small world allright !!
John van Waes and I were colleagues at regional radio (Omroep Zeeland); meanwhile he has gone on early retirement.
I recall him mentioning working on the Fairlight in Hilversum, Holland.
As to the choice of keyboards, I reckon both will serve you well, but from a point of view of "doctoring the sounds" you would probably be better served with the Korgs.
Anyway, good luck !!!!
John Smies

#186160 - 09/19/04 11:45 AM Re: My second PA1XPro Song
drdalet Offline

Great! The world gets smaller every time, it seems! Well, if you ever see John van Waes again, say hello. After John left for Radio Zeeland (after Leen Schaap did - he's probably retired as well) I left NOB in 1996 to work for the KRO to set up Radio automation with the Dalet system (hence my nickname, given to me by some of the programmamakers). I still work there and will for another 5 years. I guess my "come back" to the music business has something to do with where I might be 5 years from now
Who knows what wonderfull keyboards will be around that time !!

------------------
drdalet

#186161 - 09/19/04 02:57 PM Re: My second PA1XPro Song
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Hi James,

Keep these coming, they sound great! It's always good to hear the PA1XPro in action too. Nice work indeed!

Cheers,
Rich

#186162 - 09/19/04 03:15 PM Re: My second PA1XPro Song
Exound Offline

Loc: Hoorn, Netherlands
icyjamie...this sounds great...wow
I've listened to all 3 songs and I like jumpy very much...it has the sound of North Sea Jazz :-) hehehe
I've recorded a midifile called
children of sanchez a great tune although I don't know the componist.
Played by the sequencer of the PA1xpro,
I've changed some sounds.

here's the link http://www.xs4all.nl/~exound/childrenofsanchez.mp3

Jan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online