Topic Options
#184531 - 01/10/05 11:27 AM Transpose Button
ScubaDon Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, U.S.A.
Uncle Dave made an interesting comment in a different thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

but if you must use a transpose button

I for one must. Often. I'd be interested if others (especially the pros) rely on the transpose button, too, in lieu of the ability to play in keys other than (in my case) F, C and Dm? Also, on the Yamaha, the transpose button goes up and down by a whole note. Is this the case on all arrangers? My present board, a 9000 PRO, lets me push the button (say 3 times for an in-song key change) but waits with the actual traspose until the next chord change. I remember on my PSR-4000, the darn thing would transpose with every click of the button. Annoying. I'm hoping to one day add a Roland arranger to my setup (I LOVE their voices). How does transpose work on Rolands (and other boards)?

Don

#184532 - 01/10/05 11:44 AM Re: Transpose Button
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by ScubaDon:
Also, on the Yamaha, the transpose button goes up and down by a whole note. Is this the case on all arrangers? My present board, a 9000 PRO, lets me push the button (say 3 times for an in-song key change) but waits with the actual traspose until the next chord change. IDon

I think you mean it goes up and down by a half note. My PSR550 transposes on chord change as well.
Starkeeper

#184533 - 01/10/05 11:45 AM Re: Transpose Button
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Don,
I use it some. I don't like to play in keys like B or C# or even Db so I push the button sometimes to get into a more comfortable vocal key. As was noted, if you transpose very far, you can come up with un-natural sounds.
DonM

#184534 - 01/10/05 11:51 AM Re: Transpose Button
ScubaDon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
I think you mean it goes up and down by a half note. My PSR550 transposes on chord change as well.
Starkeeper

Oops, yes 1/2 notes. That's what it should have been. A while ago, my uncle who owns a Technics keyboard (never played it myself), told me that on his board the transpose "jumps" 3 half notes or somesuch. Not sure.

#184535 - 01/10/05 11:57 AM Re: Transpose Button
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I use the transpose button down 1 whole step most of the time. This puts many songs in my voice range and allows the tenor sax and trumpet to read off the same chart. Most Beatle tunes I have to go down 4 half steps. Sometimes I sing a song an octave down and use the transpose button to bring it up. An example of this would be "Georgia On My Mind". I play it in the key of "C" and transpose it up 1 half step.

Don is correct in that if you use the button to transpose it too far, it will sound unnatural.

Tom

#184536 - 01/10/05 12:16 PM Re: Transpose Button
ScubaDon Offline

So from what I read, it's generally deemed ok to use it even (especially?) in situations where you play with others? I've played with guitar players before and told them to just go ahead and do the song in whatever key they wish and I'll be able to follow along (via transpose). I don't read music though so that works out pretty good. How do you go about it if you rely on written notes? Print the sheets in different keys for the keyboard player and the rest? I have software that transposes sheet music into different keys. I know how to read chord charts, so this has been real helpful to learn the chords to a new song. You mention Georgia On My Mind. It took me forever to get that one right. Great song though when I finally did! Do you have an mp3 of you playing it?

Don

#184537 - 01/10/05 12:36 PM Re: Transpose Button
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I would be totally lost without the transpose button. From my standpoint, as a singer, it allows me to play using chords that I'm comfortable with, and maintain the chord that best suits my voice. Sure, some folks call that cheating, but I've never considered myself a musisian--just an entertainer and that's what folks pay me for.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#184538 - 01/10/05 12:43 PM Re: Transpose Button
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I try to use the transpose button only when absolutely necessary...for instance, when a horn player is sitting in and doing a song I usually do in a different key (don't want to
make him sound bad). For many tunes, it dosen't make a difference, but occasionally...

For songs in my library, I always try to learn them in "my" key. That's because, sometimes I use a house grand piano...obviously no transposer.

That's what works for me.

Russ

#184539 - 01/10/05 01:32 PM Re: Transpose Button
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Yep, me too. I'm absolutely shameless with use of the transpose button. I'm okay with keys C, D, E, F, G and A and their minors, but I flounder to varying degrees with the key of B and any of the # or b keys and, as DonM says, it's better not to stray too far with the transpose button.

On my Korg the transpose shifts in semi-tone increments and it does wait until the chord change is made before it transposes.

#184540 - 01/10/05 07:52 PM Re: Transpose Button
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'll use any tool, anytime, anywhere.
I started using the transpose just to give my voice a break, but some songs are so much easier to play in certain keys that it becomes a neccessity to get the proper voicings. eg: certain blues riffs that require pull offs or quick grace notes. Somethings work better if you move a 1/2 step up or down. I do most of my blugrassy things in F, even if I sing in E so I can use my blues pickin' styles. They just don't work in E!
If I forced to use an acoustic instrument .... then I live with it, but the end product is better with the proper tool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online