SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181354 - 01/10/04 09:12 AM Tyros Fast Jazz...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
So you've never heard an Organ sound on the Tyros that you like, you say? Well, there are a boat load of them that really shine IMO. Here is a song that demonstrates just one of them but delightfully so IMO. Btw, this song is NOT my own work. It is the work of one Neil Tomlin who lives in Spain actually and is a longtime Demonstrator of Lowery and Hammond Organs. This song was made exclusively on the Tyros using the preset Fast Jazz Style and the JazzOrgan3 of the Tyros' preset Panel Organs. Neil belongs to SVPWorld Forums and has submitted other work there too. His Username is: Tomo. Here is a link to Neil's Home Page with other Music he has posted:
http://neil-maggie.eresmas.net/

And here is the song whose original title is Tomo_Jazz and I changed to Tyros Fast Jazz for the sake of illustration: Enjoy!
Tyros Fast Jazz

Best regards,
Mike

#181355 - 01/10/04 09:16 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Dnj Offline

Well done....nice groove all around..luv the on/off Leslie...

Thanx for sharing

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#181356 - 01/10/04 09:38 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I recognized Fly Me To The Moon and Sunny. I think there were a couple of more in there. Nicely played.
DonM

#181357 - 01/10/04 09:56 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Roel Offline

Mike,

Thanks for this demo-link. What I think is good in this song :
The keyboardist, de piano-sound, the drums and accompany.

The 'Hammondsound'however is a little disappointing. Try to imagine how this music would sound with a hi-Q (or real) Leslie.
Many brands do not really succeed in producing Leslie sound. (Korg, Roland, Yamaha and Ketron.... none of them)
Leslie is a mix of doppler-effect, frequency-modulation and volume-modulation.

The best I heard is in the Native Instruments B4 Tonewheel Organ.

Roel

#181358 - 01/10/04 10:24 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Kudos to Neil Tomlin for his impressive keyboard performance. A terrific LIVE jazz feel! Hope you guys realize that his terrific piano comping chords (rootless jazz type of course! ) are not actually part of the auto accomp style itself, but were played LIVE !

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
The 'Hammondsound'however is a little disappointing. Try to imagine how this music would sound with a hi-Q (or real) Leslie.

True, but also realize that what we're hearing is a highly compressed MP3.

Scott

#181359 - 01/10/04 10:28 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
trtjazz Offline

Mike
Neil has the chops....and I think it sounds great, but then the only organ I ever much cared for was the 60's Bleeding B3..and Booker T's
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-10-2004).]

#181360 - 01/10/04 11:33 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Nicely played Neil.

Yes, I agree that the organ could be a little better, but it isn't all that bad. I agree that the NI B4 is about the best emulation I've heard or tried, but the B3 / C3 organ emulations in the Motif ES really aren't bad at all.

One has to be willing to tweak presets in the Motif, and the more controllers you have, the more you can alter in real time to get a better and varied sound, but I think that's always the case with most synths, even the best of them. I bet if I played the Motif C3 patch through real Leslie's it would sound very close to a classic emulation.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-10-2004).]

#181361 - 01/10/04 11:52 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
keybplayer Offline

I agree with Roel and you Terry that the Leslie Sim is a little pale in comparison to a B3. But did you guys know that the Tyros beat out the Roland VK-88 and Korg BX-3 for top spot as the Organ/Portable Keyboard of the year for 2003 at M.I.P.A.? (Musikmesse International Press Award) Yamaha did something right on the Tyros to garner that award. But I do wish that Yamaha would start making a better Leslie Simulation on their future Arrangers. And I would also like to see Yamaha give their Arrangers more diverse B3 type sounding Organs and other cool type Organ sounds that you get with Korg and Roland. You know; like get down funky groovin' more realistic B3, C3 hip sounding Organs. Yamaha has great "Church" sounding Organs on the Tyros and also the Motif ES which is fine but more of those B3, C3, etc. type Organs would really come in handy.

Best regards,
Mike

#181362 - 01/10/04 12:20 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Roel Offline

Scott,
You are right saying it is an MP3... but it is a 160 kb/s 44.1 kHz type what gives an excellent quality. (CD alike)
The true Hammond-Leslie sound however is recognized even on the worst possible audio format
It must be the complexity of algorithms to process for the emulation that makes it hard to implement them in modern keyboards.

#181363 - 01/10/04 12:33 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Neil,

Sounds great! Excellent job of putting this together, and outstanding recording techniques. To me, all of the voices sound incredible.

Keep em' coming,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#181364 - 01/10/04 12:57 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Mike if this is really you playing I could care less what sound you use. The Improvisation is really swinging. Nothing sounds mechanical. I'm more of a "if you can play" it can be a Casio. It won't matter. If you can't swing on improvisation, it won't matter what you play. You'll sound mechanical.

Please tell me this isn't the only jazz tune you can play? I had a friend who could play Maleguina as good as anybody years ago, but it was the only tune he knew. I know I didn't spell that tune's title right!! I don't believe this is a problem with you.

Can you swing on "All The Things Your Are?' Many good musicians admit this is one of the hardest to improvise on. The melody swings just blowing it, but the improvisation is a killer. It can make a good player sound bad.

Where do you live? I want to come Jam with you. Do you sing all night or play some jazz instrumentals? Boy if it is somewhere on the way to New Orleans I want to stop there and meet you.
Boo

#181365 - 01/10/04 02:05 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, read the first post in this string. It isn't Mike.
Actually, it's me under a stage name.
DonM

#181366 - 01/10/04 02:06 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Mike if this is really you playing I could care less what sound you use. The Improvisation is really swinging. Nothing sounds mechanical. I'm more of a "if you can play" it can be a Casio. It won't matter. If you can't swing on improvisation, it won't matter what you play. You'll sound mechanical.

Boo

Sorry to disappoint you Boo but as I said in my original post this is not my work (playing). It is Neil Tomlin's. I downloaded his Midi of the song and then I played it on my Tyros and recorded it into .wav and then converted it to .mp3 using Sound Forge. I wanted to illustrate to the Group that, yes indeed; the Tyros does have some great Organ sounds. Neil has been demonstrating Hammond and Lowery Organs for decades and it truly shows in his playing.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: I have other Midi songs by Neil Tomlin (and other artists) that I may record and turn into .mp3's also to give everybody a better idea of the different great sounding Organs on the Tyros. My playing skills although getting better are nowhere up to the level of Neil Tomlin so I thought recording his songs would not only give a good insight into the Tyros' Organ sounds but also songs that are expertly played as well to further enhance the listening experience.

#181367 - 01/10/04 02:22 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
I had a friend who could play Maleguina as good as anybody years ago, but it was the only tune he knew. I know I didn't spell that tune's title right!!

Actually, it's "Malaguena", which means simply "a woman who lives in Malaga" (a spanish city on the Mediterranean), and the song was written by Ernesto Lecuona, the same composer who wrote Siboney, Taboo, The breeze and I, Jungle drums and Babalù, among others.

#181368 - 01/10/04 04:22 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been to Malaga a couple times, Boo can't read or spell, and the first time I heard Malaguena it was played by an incredible guitarist in a Barcelona bar. After hearing that person's rendition in my youth, I was convinced that one day I would be able to play that song on the guitar in front of an audience. Well, a lot of waves have crashed over the boat's bow since then, I can play the song, but definitely not at that level. The person playing the keyboard with this tune is well above average when it comes to musical skills as well. Sure wish my fingers had that much dexterity.

Thanks for sending this along Mike,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#181369 - 01/11/04 12:05 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I think Neil is doing a great job on the keys.

This sound thing with the organ, of course is very subjective, but, here's my 2 centavos:

Jazz Organ 3 on the Tyros is really not my favorite if I'm trying for a jazz Hammond sound. I would use another few that to me are much better.

You can also easily mix two or three organ sounds together that can be very impressive.

Also, as far as the Leslie effect, that Jazz Organ 3 preset does have a rather fast and unpleasant sound. But, these settings can be tweaked. If that's the organ sound you want to use, just adjust the tremelo settings.

But again, I don't use Jazz Organ 3 at all, Just MHO, but, yes, Neil has some chops eh?

Scott

#181370 - 01/11/04 02:04 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Daddy JJ Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi Andrea,

Do you know Taboo ??? Great !! I like it
By the way can you send me a short version or a short intro , of the version of this Malaguena ??Or the link when I can hear this Malaguena ?
If you have not , maybe Gary can help me ?
Thanks....

#181371 - 01/11/04 03:25 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Dreamer Offline

JJ,
I have found a short clip of Malaguena performed by the Percy Faith orchestra on the Amazon.uk web page; you will need Real Player installed to listen to it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN...3719518-6878829

On the same page there is also a rendition of The breeze and I (also called "Andalucia").

P.S.: I really love these songs. Malaguena is too long and complex to be played live on an arranger (it would require a multitrack arrangement), but one day I would love to record "Taboo".
Cheers
Andrea

#181372 - 01/11/04 03:52 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Daddy JJ Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi Andrea,

You are a "real encyclopedia" !
Thanks for the tip . Yes , this Malaguena about it was speaking here in this forum, is the version that I thought ! (There is also a Maleguena salerossa , I think...).
I have this music in my head, so I would make a short and "simplified" version in Flamenco style and maybe I'll put it in a couple of hours on my site.
Many thanks for your help, you are a friend!
Cheers,
JJ

#181373 - 01/11/04 07:34 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi all,yep i liked it too,and Malaga is just up the road from me about 8 miles away,mike

#181374 - 01/12/04 09:23 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Crap!! Anyone know where Neil Tomlin lives? Does he like playing with a Tenor Sax?
Tell him I'll pay him $150 a night if he lets me play with him. If he says no, tell him I'll give him $250 a night. If he still says no, have him email me.
Thanks a bunch,
Boo

#181375 - 01/12/04 01:03 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I don't know if they still make them, but on smaller jobs I use a Motionsound "Top box". It has a power tube and the top roters, a la a real leslie. Not a good as my old 147 RV's, but better than most simulators.you get a real dopler efect. It weighs about 15 lbs. Leslie effects are operated with a footswitch.

#181376 - 01/12/04 01:07 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Dnj Offline

http://www.estebanmusic.com/

He Looks like Zorro but man o man can this guy play Malaquena~

#181377 - 01/12/04 06:29 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Anyone know where Neil Tomlin lives? Does he like playing with a Tenor Sax?
Tell him I'll pay him $150 a night if he lets me play with him. If he says no, tell him I'll give him $250 a night. If he still says no, have him email me.
Thanks a bunch,
Boo

Boo, Neil lives in Spain, so you'll have a long way to go if you want Jam with him.

Best regards,
Mike

#181378 - 01/12/04 10:11 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Dreamer Offline

Well, since he was willing to pay 250 bucks a night to jam with him, I don't think that's a problem...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online