SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181364 - 01/10/04 12:57 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Mike if this is really you playing I could care less what sound you use. The Improvisation is really swinging. Nothing sounds mechanical. I'm more of a "if you can play" it can be a Casio. It won't matter. If you can't swing on improvisation, it won't matter what you play. You'll sound mechanical.

Please tell me this isn't the only jazz tune you can play? I had a friend who could play Maleguina as good as anybody years ago, but it was the only tune he knew. I know I didn't spell that tune's title right!! I don't believe this is a problem with you.

Can you swing on "All The Things Your Are?' Many good musicians admit this is one of the hardest to improvise on. The melody swings just blowing it, but the improvisation is a killer. It can make a good player sound bad.

Where do you live? I want to come Jam with you. Do you sing all night or play some jazz instrumentals? Boy if it is somewhere on the way to New Orleans I want to stop there and meet you.
Boo

#181365 - 01/10/04 02:05 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, read the first post in this string. It isn't Mike.
Actually, it's me under a stage name.
DonM

#181366 - 01/10/04 02:06 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Mike if this is really you playing I could care less what sound you use. The Improvisation is really swinging. Nothing sounds mechanical. I'm more of a "if you can play" it can be a Casio. It won't matter. If you can't swing on improvisation, it won't matter what you play. You'll sound mechanical.

Boo

Sorry to disappoint you Boo but as I said in my original post this is not my work (playing). It is Neil Tomlin's. I downloaded his Midi of the song and then I played it on my Tyros and recorded it into .wav and then converted it to .mp3 using Sound Forge. I wanted to illustrate to the Group that, yes indeed; the Tyros does have some great Organ sounds. Neil has been demonstrating Hammond and Lowery Organs for decades and it truly shows in his playing.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: I have other Midi songs by Neil Tomlin (and other artists) that I may record and turn into .mp3's also to give everybody a better idea of the different great sounding Organs on the Tyros. My playing skills although getting better are nowhere up to the level of Neil Tomlin so I thought recording his songs would not only give a good insight into the Tyros' Organ sounds but also songs that are expertly played as well to further enhance the listening experience.

#181367 - 01/10/04 02:22 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
I had a friend who could play Maleguina as good as anybody years ago, but it was the only tune he knew. I know I didn't spell that tune's title right!!

Actually, it's "Malaguena", which means simply "a woman who lives in Malaga" (a spanish city on the Mediterranean), and the song was written by Ernesto Lecuona, the same composer who wrote Siboney, Taboo, The breeze and I, Jungle drums and Babalù, among others.

#181368 - 01/10/04 04:22 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been to Malaga a couple times, Boo can't read or spell, and the first time I heard Malaguena it was played by an incredible guitarist in a Barcelona bar. After hearing that person's rendition in my youth, I was convinced that one day I would be able to play that song on the guitar in front of an audience. Well, a lot of waves have crashed over the boat's bow since then, I can play the song, but definitely not at that level. The person playing the keyboard with this tune is well above average when it comes to musical skills as well. Sure wish my fingers had that much dexterity.

Thanks for sending this along Mike,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#181369 - 01/11/04 12:05 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I think Neil is doing a great job on the keys.

This sound thing with the organ, of course is very subjective, but, here's my 2 centavos:

Jazz Organ 3 on the Tyros is really not my favorite if I'm trying for a jazz Hammond sound. I would use another few that to me are much better.

You can also easily mix two or three organ sounds together that can be very impressive.

Also, as far as the Leslie effect, that Jazz Organ 3 preset does have a rather fast and unpleasant sound. But, these settings can be tweaked. If that's the organ sound you want to use, just adjust the tremelo settings.

But again, I don't use Jazz Organ 3 at all, Just MHO, but, yes, Neil has some chops eh?

Scott

#181370 - 01/11/04 02:04 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Daddy JJ Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi Andrea,

Do you know Taboo ??? Great !! I like it
By the way can you send me a short version or a short intro , of the version of this Malaguena ??Or the link when I can hear this Malaguena ?
If you have not , maybe Gary can help me ?
Thanks....

#181371 - 01/11/04 03:25 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
JJ,
I have found a short clip of Malaguena performed by the Percy Faith orchestra on the Amazon.uk web page; you will need Real Player installed to listen to it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN...3719518-6878829

On the same page there is also a rendition of The breeze and I (also called "Andalucia").

P.S.: I really love these songs. Malaguena is too long and complex to be played live on an arranger (it would require a multitrack arrangement), but one day I would love to record "Taboo".
Cheers
Andrea

#181372 - 01/11/04 03:52 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Daddy JJ Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi Andrea,

You are a "real encyclopedia" !
Thanks for the tip . Yes , this Malaguena about it was speaking here in this forum, is the version that I thought ! (There is also a Maleguena salerossa , I think...).
I have this music in my head, so I would make a short and "simplified" version in Flamenco style and maybe I'll put it in a couple of hours on my site.
Many thanks for your help, you are a friend!
Cheers,
JJ

#181373 - 01/11/04 07:34 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi all,yep i liked it too,and Malaga is just up the road from me about 8 miles away,mike

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online