SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181354 - 01/10/04 09:12 AM Tyros Fast Jazz...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
So you've never heard an Organ sound on the Tyros that you like, you say? Well, there are a boat load of them that really shine IMO. Here is a song that demonstrates just one of them but delightfully so IMO. Btw, this song is NOT my own work. It is the work of one Neil Tomlin who lives in Spain actually and is a longtime Demonstrator of Lowery and Hammond Organs. This song was made exclusively on the Tyros using the preset Fast Jazz Style and the JazzOrgan3 of the Tyros' preset Panel Organs. Neil belongs to SVPWorld Forums and has submitted other work there too. His Username is: Tomo. Here is a link to Neil's Home Page with other Music he has posted:
http://neil-maggie.eresmas.net/

And here is the song whose original title is Tomo_Jazz and I changed to Tyros Fast Jazz for the sake of illustration: Enjoy!
Tyros Fast Jazz

Best regards,
Mike

#181355 - 01/10/04 09:16 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Dnj Offline

Well done....nice groove all around..luv the on/off Leslie...

Thanx for sharing

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#181356 - 01/10/04 09:38 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I recognized Fly Me To The Moon and Sunny. I think there were a couple of more in there. Nicely played.
DonM

#181357 - 01/10/04 09:56 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Roel Offline

Mike,

Thanks for this demo-link. What I think is good in this song :
The keyboardist, de piano-sound, the drums and accompany.

The 'Hammondsound'however is a little disappointing. Try to imagine how this music would sound with a hi-Q (or real) Leslie.
Many brands do not really succeed in producing Leslie sound. (Korg, Roland, Yamaha and Ketron.... none of them)
Leslie is a mix of doppler-effect, frequency-modulation and volume-modulation.

The best I heard is in the Native Instruments B4 Tonewheel Organ.

Roel

#181358 - 01/10/04 10:24 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Kudos to Neil Tomlin for his impressive keyboard performance. A terrific LIVE jazz feel! Hope you guys realize that his terrific piano comping chords (rootless jazz type of course! ) are not actually part of the auto accomp style itself, but were played LIVE !

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
The 'Hammondsound'however is a little disappointing. Try to imagine how this music would sound with a hi-Q (or real) Leslie.

True, but also realize that what we're hearing is a highly compressed MP3.

Scott

#181359 - 01/10/04 10:28 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
trtjazz Offline

Mike
Neil has the chops....and I think it sounds great, but then the only organ I ever much cared for was the 60's Bleeding B3..and Booker T's
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-10-2004).]

#181360 - 01/10/04 11:33 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Nicely played Neil.

Yes, I agree that the organ could be a little better, but it isn't all that bad. I agree that the NI B4 is about the best emulation I've heard or tried, but the B3 / C3 organ emulations in the Motif ES really aren't bad at all.

One has to be willing to tweak presets in the Motif, and the more controllers you have, the more you can alter in real time to get a better and varied sound, but I think that's always the case with most synths, even the best of them. I bet if I played the Motif C3 patch through real Leslie's it would sound very close to a classic emulation.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-10-2004).]

#181361 - 01/10/04 11:52 AM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I agree with Roel and you Terry that the Leslie Sim is a little pale in comparison to a B3. But did you guys know that the Tyros beat out the Roland VK-88 and Korg BX-3 for top spot as the Organ/Portable Keyboard of the year for 2003 at M.I.P.A.? (Musikmesse International Press Award) Yamaha did something right on the Tyros to garner that award. But I do wish that Yamaha would start making a better Leslie Simulation on their future Arrangers. And I would also like to see Yamaha give their Arrangers more diverse B3 type sounding Organs and other cool type Organ sounds that you get with Korg and Roland. You know; like get down funky groovin' more realistic B3, C3 hip sounding Organs. Yamaha has great "Church" sounding Organs on the Tyros and also the Motif ES which is fine but more of those B3, C3, etc. type Organs would really come in handy.

Best regards,
Mike

#181362 - 01/10/04 12:20 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
Roel Offline

Scott,
You are right saying it is an MP3... but it is a 160 kb/s 44.1 kHz type what gives an excellent quality. (CD alike)
The true Hammond-Leslie sound however is recognized even on the worst possible audio format
It must be the complexity of algorithms to process for the emulation that makes it hard to implement them in modern keyboards.

#181363 - 01/10/04 12:33 PM Re: Tyros Fast Jazz...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Neil,

Sounds great! Excellent job of putting this together, and outstanding recording techniques. To me, all of the voices sound incredible.

Keep em' coming,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online