SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#180895 - 07/25/07 10:19 AM First General Impressions G70
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
G70

I’ve had the G70 for about 4 weeks, 2 plus of those weeks the board was in the shop for repair due to a damaged in shipping LCD screen. The screen has been replaced and I've it back 5 days. I’m posting some general first impressions/pros and cons of the G70. Much of this has been talked about on other forums so some of this info may be rehashed. I’ve got a long way to go in really learning the ins and outs of this board, there’s so much that I haven’t got into yet, including the vocal harmonizer. Just commenting on some of the more obvious features and ones that I use the most as a part time musician.

I originally planned on selling my Tyros 2 at this point I’m not ready to sell the Tyros2 because fact is both keyboards are outstanding instruments in their own right. I’m not ready to give up either one. At some time in the future I may sell one or the other. I need more time to learn the G70 to be objective.

Pros of the instrument
76 solid keys check out the underside of the Tyros2 (hollow keys)
Having had most training on piano playing 76 keys is very comfortable to play . Bottom line it feels good and easier to play expressively
Build quality is great, like a tank. Makes you wonder why Yamaha doesn't build that quality into their arrangers when you consider the selling price of the Tyros2 and the G70
Having a dedicated knob that controls the balance between right and left keyboard parts. It’s very easy to adjust on the fly
Touch screen is great
Having drawbars and VK organs are terrific G70 are better than Tyros2
Nice live sound the Bossa Novas are great and are my favorites ( they are my favorites on the T2 as well )
One convenient dedicated 1 touch setting to convert from arranger to full piano mode.
User progam mode to create registrations easy to use especially with the touch screen and I prefer using it versus what’s on Yamaha boards

Cons

OS (just my opinion here) I compare it going from Windows 95 back to Windows 3.1, it has something to be desired. I find it a bit archaic to use or maybe I just haven’t had enough cockpit time with it.
I thought I was thru with floppy disks, but with my experience to date I will probably create “Gig Disks” using actually floppies vs. using a USB stick as I do with the Tyros2.
Much better folder system on Yamaha arrangers. I like being able to pop the USB stick into my laptop and be able to rename and move named styles around to different folders.
Music Assistant needs improvement to match the Music Finder on Yammies.

#180896 - 07/25/07 12:49 PM Re: First General Impressions G70
Dnj Offline

Steve congrats!!

Your on your way ....good luck with the G70 & open your mind to change!

#180897 - 07/25/07 01:05 PM Re: First General Impressions G70
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Steve,
If you use a PCMCIA adapter (about $11.00) and a compact flash card, say 512MB (about $14.00) you can use this just like a usb thumb drive on the tyros2. You can play styles and songs directly from the compact flash card and you have pre named folders (8)to put all your midi files and external styles into. You can also have all you program list saved and recalled from the CF card.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#180898 - 07/25/07 01:49 PM Re: First General Impressions G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, George, but the pre-named card folders are exactly the same as the internal data structure... That is to say, one folder for ALL SMFs, one folder for ALL styles. There is NO subdirectory capability in the G70's OS.

However, I think Stephen hasn't yet come to grasp the 'Roland Way' of organization, that is, the UPS, a group of 144 UPGs - registrations - organized any way you want (and rapidly loadable).

It is certainly different to Yamaha's system, for better or worse, who knows? But with the addition of the Session Manager software available at roland-arranger.com, easily organizable.

#180899 - 07/25/07 04:57 PM Re: First General Impressions G70
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sorry, George, but the pre-named card folders are exactly the same as the internal data structure... That is to say, one folder for ALL SMFs, one folder for ALL styles. There is NO subdirectory capability in the G70's OS.

However, I think Stephen hasn't yet come to grasp the 'Roland Way' of organization, that is, the UPS, a group of 144 UPGs - registrations - organized any way you want (and rapidly loadable).

It is certainly different to Yamaha's system, for better or worse, who knows? But with the addition of the Session Manager software available at roland-arranger.com, easily organizable.

George thanks for the input. That's where my thought of using floppies comes in. They certainly would be inconvenient to use, but in a sense with a little imagination each disk could be considered a folder. Ok, I may be stretching it a bit.

Diki, you've hit the nail on the head, I guess I'm a bit in denial and want the OS to be like Yammies I know that's just the way it is with the G70 I understand the concept and have been playing around with creating UPGs and placing them in UPS. Not really a bad system especially with the touch screen. Next step is to get some cockpit time with Session Manager.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 07-25-2007).]

#180900 - 07/25/07 06:40 PM Re: First General Impressions G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, George is closer to the truth than you!!!!

True they all reside in a single 'Folder"...but the G70 allows 8 indexes[so it is similar to sub directories]..

Stephen this can work the way you want to use it...

#180901 - 07/25/07 08:33 PM Re: First General Impressions G70
Dnj Offline

Steve what do you excactly want to do regarding song navagation while performing & using the OS on the G70?

#180902 - 07/25/07 09:26 PM Re: First General Impressions G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing about the 'indexes', Fran, is they are part of the Database functions. They have nothing to do with actual folders in any computer sense of the word, so you can't drag and drop like Yamaha do, or see them in any organizational sense on a computer... just the G70's display.

George (from what he said) seemed to be referring to the fact that the card, when formatted, has a bunch of folders on it. But they have no subdirectories WITHIN those folders. So ALL SMFs go into the 'Put New Songs Here', are processed by the Database, and get moved by the G70 into the Songs folder (ditto Styles). But there is no way, using a computer, to move them around, organize them or categorize them (Yamaha style).

This all has to be done by the Database, which is (IMO) a fairly unreliable POS that is WAY too easy to corrupt. And once corrupted, ALL your organizational work goes down the toilet. So, for me, the best, most reliable way to organize Songs and Styles is to use the UPG/UPS structure, which is much more robust.

But, for sure, there is more than one way to skin a cat... It is just that Roland's ways are VERY different from Yamaha's!

#180903 - 07/25/07 11:26 PM Re: First General Impressions G70
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Here is a partial solution I have found to the file "corruption" problem in the G-70:
let's say that, after organizing your database you add files to a folder (like "Put new styles here") using your computer via USB, then you disconnect the G-70 and, to your frustration, discover that it does not recognize the styles you have just added... then all you have to do is connect the computer again, go to the "DB" (database) folder and erase all the files relating to the styles (they have the suffix "sty", so are easy to recognize).
When you are done, disconnect the G-70 again, press the Styles Music Finder button, choose the memory (internal or external) and watch the G-70 do the organizing job again... this time all of your styles should be there!
I agree that from the point of view of a Yamaha user all this is frustrating (why can't the G-70 ackowledge all the folder/files the way a Tyros 2 or even a cheap computer does?) , but once you've learned to communicate with it using its own language, things start to make sense.

#180904 - 07/25/07 11:34 PM Re: First General Impressions G70
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
BTW,
Steve, I am really glad that you have sorted out things and are enjoying your G-70; I am 100% sure that, if you sell it (or sell the Tyros 2 for that matter), you will have seller's remorse afterwards...

I have four SRX cards in my Fantom XR and have installed the 07 (Ultimate Keys) into the G-70 and have started experimenting with substituting sounds (like a bass) in the styles: the results are amazing!
I agree with what others have said that the G-70 should have sounded great out of the box since the very beginning, but it's true that it has a great potential, even if it requires a lot of work from the end user.
Have you tried the converted VA-76 styles already? Whoever did the conversion, did an excellent job indeed: they sound great!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online