Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#180905 - 07/26/07 05:26 AM Re: First General Impressions G70
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Steve what do you excactly want to do regarding song navagation while performing & using the OS on the G70?

I know this can't be done quite the same way on the G70 as on Yamaha boards. Here's what I've done with tyros and psr3000 I created a series of folders that contain named styles for the song the style is used for. Folders are lettered A to C, D to G, H to M and so on thru the alphabet. In each of the folders A to C for instance are styles that are named with letters starting with A, B or C. These folders give me a master list of all tunes that I play. In the folders I collectively have somewhere around 600 named styles for songs. Here's where that system comes in handy. Let's say I'm playing a wedding cocktail hour, the bride requests certain tunes to be played during that hour. I then create a folder for the gig at my laptop called " Whatever bride's name is cocktail hour." I then simply copy and paste all the styles while at my laptop into the folder for this particular cocktail. Maybe a bit overkill from an orgainzational standpoint. But I find the system easy and the folder can be created and styles copied and pasted in minutes.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 07-26-2007).]

#180906 - 07/26/07 05:43 AM Re: First General Impressions G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Stephen it is just as fast...maybe faster to use the finder feature on the G70...If you want songs starting with "D" just enter "D"...And the index is easier than that...I believe you can do your indexes on a PC too[The DisCover5 could]...but it is fast to index on the G70...

I believe the G70 database system is stable[human error is always the culprit]..

#180907 - 07/26/07 05:52 AM Re: First General Impressions G70
Rolman Offline

Loc: Germany
Why mourn the Yammi folder? Can you search in it? Do you have indices? Do you have a finder? Do you have 3 search arguments? I don't understand this debate.
Peter

#180908 - 07/26/07 06:20 AM Re: First General Impressions G70
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Fran : I've got to revisit the index feature as I haven't really spent any time using it.

Rolman on your question "Why mourn the Yammi folder?" In the states we have an expression. " You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Well, this old dog is a slow learner.

Dreamer, thanks for your suggestions and I know you understand where I coming from since you also have both the G70 and Tyros2. I'll also try the Va76 conversions. I do have a copy of those.

#180909 - 07/26/07 06:53 AM Re: First General Impressions G70
Dnj Offline

Steve ...judging by your posts I really think you need to spend some serious time with the G70......ask some good questions, read the manual, & make a commitment to setting up the G70 for your purposes....also play some practice cocktail hours IN YOUR HOUSE in real time forcing you to use the search etc of the OS in real time
oh yeah & put that Yammy in the closet to remove the crutch.

#180910 - 07/26/07 07:07 AM Re: First General Impressions G70
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Hi Steve - If you don't mind having a HUGE index, just put all you stuff on a good size memory card and let the database arrange it for you. The only trouble I've had so far with the SMFs is that the database arranges by the files internal name, not the filename. So, I had to go into them all and change the 'untitled' songs to their filenames - a little time consuming but worth it. Now everything is right there in front of me at the spin of the dial. Just wish we could get 20+ titles per pages

Once you have everything loaded into the database, can't you make set lists that will do what you want?

#180911 - 07/26/07 07:17 AM Re: First General Impressions G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Cass you can search by song name or file name..They both are displayed..

#180912 - 07/26/07 09:21 AM Re: First General Impressions G70
Dnj Offline

Cassp fran is correct ....plus its easy on the G70 to make Title changes to your smf songs and resave them.

#180913 - 07/26/07 09:39 AM Re: First General Impressions G70
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
You are both CORRECT, as always. I knew I would hear from one or both of you for that post. But as G and E owners know, the database loves to print those internal file names in heavier dark print. It's so much easier to just name all your files in both places so that the darker, bolder titles are easier to read - or have different names to arrange them differently - gee, that's an idea !!!

see I am learning something

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-26-2007).]

#180914 - 07/26/07 10:01 AM Re: First General Impressions G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fran, you are correct in saying operator error is usually the culprit in DB problems. But, especially with a newbie (that still hasn't quite grasped all the concepts), operator error is a high possibility... And, IMO, the DB needs to be re-written to make it more robust, more immune from operator error.

There are many things the OS does that make poor sense... One of my favorite peeves is that Linked SMFs do NOT call the linked SMF into the Finder when calling up the UPG. Unless you are VERY aware of this (the manual sure doesn't warn you!) you can start doing DB functions to it, and in fact you are working on the last file that WAS in the Finder...

Another disadvantage to this is that you call up an SMF Linked to a UPG on the gig, and do a little Makeup Tool work to it (the best place to accurately dial in your SMFs, IMO), come the time to save your edits (remember, you are on the gig, so this needs to be quick and easy!) and there is NO filename in the Finder. You can't simply press 'save' and 'overwrite' and be done, you have to KNOW the exact name of the file, type it laboriously in (VERY slow here) and THEN do the save/overwrite.

This takes FAR too long to be practical. It is a shame, because tweaking on the gig is otherwise SO easy with the Makeup Tools, you really want to do it all the time. But the lack of integration between Linked SMFs and the Finder make this more difficult than it should be...

There is a litany of weird problems associated with the DB at roland-arranger.com and it's predecessor site, obviously, it seems operator error is a fairly common thing! The manual has little in the way of cautionary warnings about what NOT to do, and once corrupted, the DB is very difficult to recover. All of this leads me to not trust it, despite being fairly well up on the G70 (!)

The combination of Richard's Session Manager software, and using multiple UPSs to organize UPGs just is, IMO, a more bulletproof system. Stephen could simply make up a UPS that contains the registrations for his wedding playlist, and load that as a virtual 'gig disk' and avoid the floppies altogether (and the DB!).

Perhaps, once he is more up to speed on the G70, he can try using the indexes, but I'm not sure I would recommend it to a relative newcomer, especially one coming from Yamaha, and not a prior Roland...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online