SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#178764 - 10/13/06 06:15 AM Maybe getting a new keyboard.. need advice
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I'm considering trading my DGX-305 in for something else. Even though I love my DGX, the sounds, the keys, the portability, and the fact that it is dirt cheap is amazing! But what I don't like is that it takes time to find good styles for certain songs, and that I can't play like a pianist, and have the styles follow me. Some of the more expensive keyboards have song book features, like the PA1X has a feature that lets you set up your own lists, this would be great to do live, because I can then make set lists, and that will make changing songs in the performance go more smoothly. The problem is however that it costs a fortune, and I'm not keen on using so expensive equipment on gigs.. you see the crowds I play for are rarely well behaved.

Therefore I'm wondering.
Is there a keyboard out there, that doesn't cost an arm or a leg (<800$)
Has at least 76 keys
Has sounds that are as good as the DGX-305
Has some kind of quick song lookup feature, or the ability to store a song book.
Is relatively lightweight.(<=40lbs)

Any advice? I thought maybe there were some older ones, like the VA-76, G-1000, G-800, Korg PA? Yamaha or whatnot that could apply? Or is it better for me to stick with the DGX-305?

Doc-Z

#178765 - 10/13/06 07:03 AM Re: Maybe getting a new keyboard.. need advice
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Doc,
The two new Yamaha YPG525 and YPG625 both feature a full keyboard style play mode which allows you to play anywhere on the keyboard and the style will follow your playing. Plus, they both feature registration memory which would allow you to save your styles and sounds to play songs you put in memory. Because these two new models feature a usb device port, you can save hundreds of registrations and load them as needed. And both are lightweight and feature 88 keys. I'm recommended either of these because there would be very little to have to relearn. Price range on these two models are from $650 to $750. The 525 has keys like your DGX505 and the 625 has hammer weighted action, more like a piano would feel.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#178766 - 10/13/06 09:38 AM Re: Maybe getting a new keyboard.. need advice
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Hi,

I own a DGX-305 and recently tried out the DGX-620 (aka YPG-625)

The 625 has impressive piano sound that is much better than the one on the DGX-305. The weighted action is somewhat light compared to a real piano but you have to try it out to see if it works for you. If I had this keyboard could record all my classical piano compositions and probably get inspired for many more. In my opinion that keyboard could be used as a replacement of a real acoustic piano.

The only new voice that impressed me (apart from the live! piano) was the cool! rotor organ. A big advantage is that using the weighted action you could control the sweet! soprano sax much better and play very expressively.

However, I decided not to upgrade to the DGX-620. Reason - that keyboard offers too little above the DGX-305 in the sound department to justify its price and fit my needs. Some guitar mega voices and 4 variations per style would have been nice.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a keyboard that is basically the DGX-305 with a better piano voice, better speakers, full keyboard mode and less 40 lbs, less than 800 EUR/$, I agree the YPG-625 would fit your bill perfectly.

Regards,

George

#178767 - 10/13/06 11:29 AM Re: Maybe getting a new keyboard.. need advice
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Have you tried the CASIO WK series ? They several new WK models coming out. Don't get the old models. They all cost less than $500

It has 76 keys and many here loved it.

Or maybe the Roland lower end models sounded professional I thought.

#178768 - 10/13/06 11:48 AM Re: Maybe getting a new keyboard.. need advice
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
Doc,
The two new Yamaha YPG525 and YPG625 both feature a full keyboard style play mode which allows you to play anywhere on the keyboard and the style will follow your playing. And both are lightweight and feature 88 keys. I'm recommended either of these because there would be very little to have to relearn. The 525 has keys like your DGX505 and the 625 has hammer weighted action, more like a piano would feel.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California www.kayesmusicscene.com

Doc, I tried the 625 at a local music store, I have to say as a former DGX505 owner I thought the feel of the keyboard was miles ahead to what was on the 505.

#178769 - 10/13/06 12:10 PM Re: Maybe getting a new keyboard.. need advice
doc-z Offline

Thank you for your recommendations!

I've checked out those new ones. The DGX-620 is priced at $1100 here, so it is a little more than I'm looking for. I have some questions regarding those "registrations" Is this like a songbook feature? Could someone elaborate? Can one add more styles as well? My DGX-305 can only load one user style, which was my biggest disappointment with that keyboard. However I like the light key feel. Even though I am a pianist, I play a lot of gigs, and the lighter feel is easier on my hands, and once you get used to it, it's quite comfortable. When I need a good piano feel, I turn to my trusty P250, which is the best piano I've ever played. But it's to big to carry on gigs.

I've tried a Casio WK3200, didn't like the styles or the keys, but the sounds were ok.
Is the WK-3700 or WK-3800 any better? Does it have songbook feature?

Doc-Z

#178770 - 10/13/06 12:12 PM Re: Maybe getting a new keyboard.. need advice
doc-z Offline

Also are there any older arranger? That may suit my needs? I may be able to find a good deal on something used, if I know what I'm looking for that is...

Doc-Z

#178771 - 10/13/06 02:22 PM Re: Maybe getting a new keyboard.. need advice
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Doc,

It seems that the only difference between the DGX-620 and DGX-520 (aka YPG-525) is that the latter has unweighted keys similar to those on the DGX-305. Please double check this with George Kaye or some other dealer as Ijaven't touched a DGX-520.

The 520 is also less expensive so it should be closer to your budget limit.

As far as registrations are concerned, You have registrations banks on your DGX. There are 2 memory banks with 8 cell each where you can store your keyboard settings like style, voice, dual split etc. Please refer to page 68 of the DGX-305/505 manua. It is all explained there.

The trouble is that with the DGX-305 you are limited to a total of only 16 registrations. In other words you are limited to 16 songs set-ups.

On the other hand, as far as I understood from G. Kaye's words, with a DGX-620 or 520 one can load those registrations from a USB pen drive.

The new 620 and 520, like the 305, can load only one external style at a time. Since those keyboards use USB as a storage media there should be less loading time. Please ask a 620 user to verify this.

I am sorry that I cannot provide you with more specific information but my experience with the 620 was only 30 minutes and I wasn't interested in trying out all aspects of its functionality.

Regards,

George

#178772 - 10/13/06 02:43 PM Re: Maybe getting a new keyboard.. need advice
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Doc,
don't know overseas prices,
my 9000pro had 76 keys, from memory, I'm fairly certain it had pianist mode.
Roland G800, G1000, VA76 all had 76 keys and again I'm reasonably sure pianist mode was available.
Going way back Korg i2 had 76 keys & there's probably been some newer models in between the current & back then.
My SD1 has 76 keys , pianist mode etc, don't know which of the earlier ketron models also had 76 keys.

Going to another brand you're going to have a learning curve,some of the top end keyboards have complicated operating systems. You'd want to make sure the styles for the other models suit your needs.

I must admit I found it strange that the dgx305 didn't have pianist mode especially since it's touted as being a piano. I used to midi it to my laptop & OMB and just use it as a controller & soundsource, rather than an arranger. There again, I only play at home.

Recently bought a psr1500, has some amazing functions, but unfortunately only 61 keys so I midi it to my digital piano.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by doc-z:
Also are there any older arranger? That may suit my needs? I may be able to find a good deal on something used, if I know what I'm looking for that is...

Doc-Z

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#178773 - 10/13/06 05:38 PM Re: Maybe getting a new keyboard.. need advice
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
if you can live with 61 keys and pay 200 more

PSR 1500 or PA50.No turning back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online