SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#177473 - 02/03/04 04:42 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'd prefer a purcussionist, and I have a great one that i do use occasionaly. But I must repeat - this is not my job. The drummer called me, so I went. he's been trying to close this gap all week - we'll see how Thursday goes. It's just a little Italian resteraunt, not Carnagie Hall - I should be able to salvage something out of this ! Aagggggh !

#177474 - 02/04/04 06:58 AM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
UD . You try to make it work ... if not, you leave ... I have a feeling it will then be your job (gig ) before long ....
QUESTION ... how do you work in an Italian restaurant and still be on Atkins?!?!? ...
t.

#177475 - 02/04/04 12:42 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Pro...

you're right! It's a ball to play with a tasteful percussionist. I do it all the time.

Russ

#177476 - 02/04/04 10:07 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
how do you work in an Italian restaurant and still be on Atkins?

The fresh bread is still the hardest smell to overcome, although tonite, at the movies i was tempted by the hot popcorn aroma. It passed quickly though, and i was a good boy. Came home and had a few celery sticks.
The cravings really do stop after you rid your body of all the sugars.
It's mostly smells that you miss - you body looses the physical cravings and the smells are just reminders. Powerful, but not cripling.
Once a month or so, I intend to go off with the boys at our famous breakfast meetings ... then I'll be good again, and nothing will come of it. i haven't gained a single lb since July and I am always full.

#177477 - 02/05/04 05:11 AM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Dnj Offline

Crackerbarrel? Mon, Tues, Wed, Morning Yummmmmy!!! Nice waitresses too
I'm ready!! Fran? Dave?

#177478 - 02/05/04 05:24 AM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Uncle Dave Offline

Tuesday around 9:15 is lookin good for me .... boyze?

#177479 - 02/05/04 07:07 AM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hi Dave,

I haven't written anything on the forum in months (although I do monitor the conversations). The following list are items that are irrelevant to your decision:

1. your partner's performance or attitude
2. your partner's ability or inability
3. the number of songs your partner knows
4. whether he keeps or loses the weekly gig without you [Who knows, even if you both work out your problems, you could still lose the gig (you know how owners/manager are)].
5. your ability to entertain the audience better than your partner
6. the money (sorry, had to mention this)
7. your reputation
8. etc. ad nauseum . . .

Sure, all of the above are on your mind but you asked an ethical question, so here's what does matter: YOUR VIEW OF RIGHT AND WRONG (YOUR ETHICS).

Look at ethics from the following perspective: Laws and rules were made to limit very bad behavior. Bad behavior is further limited by your personal ethics, which tells you what is bad and what is good. So, some actions may be lawful, but still unethical. Unlawful actions are in the black area, good ones in the white area, and all in-between is in the gray area. Ethics deals mainly with this gray area between the clearly bad and the definitely good.

Another way to think of it is being perfectly clean (being without blame) or being covered in black soot (being guilty as hell). So Dave, how clean do you want to be?

WHITE? Then, divorce yourself from any element of gain, revenge, venting, anger, or "setting things straight", and bow out gracefully (you know, the "what would Jesus do if this was His friend?" approach).

BLACK? Then, go behind your partner's back, steal the gig and dump him (yeah, the Devil made me do it approach).

GRAY? Well, there are lots of shades so pick whatever color bothers your conscience the least and do as you please.

BOTTOM LINE? The bottom line is this; you've asked all of us a question that not only defines who YOU are but our replies reveal who WE are as well, and we should all read every reply posted to this question CAREFULLY.

So, do you want to be:
1. Uncle Dave, the black
2. Uncle Dave, the gray, or
3. Uncle Dave, the white?

Its your decision, your choice, and your ethics. Someone once said that, "Character is made or unmade every day by the choices we make".

My very best prayers and wishes are yours,
Steve

#177480 - 02/05/04 07:17 AM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
captain Russ Offline

Playing with a good percussionist is GREAT!

I use one (same guy for 20 years) every chance I get.

Russ

#177481 - 02/05/04 08:42 AM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Uncle Dave Offline

Steve,
I wish it were as simple as black and white, but unfortunatly, expecially in show biz - there is LOTS of gray. I have no problem bowing out of this job if my expectations fall short, but I will not snake him out of the job. if i resign, and then am OFFERED the job - I remain lily white in all respects. I am tryting to find a better solution ... one that keeps him working , and keeps me (and the audience) happy.
With regard to it being "his" gig ...
It's only his till it's over, and in THIS business, that can be ANY time. Nothing is solid. We have to earn our keep with every performance. I will sleep like a log tonight with my decision to handle this as stated.

#177482 - 02/05/04 10:47 AM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
captain Russ Offline

Dave....the issue is complx, but your commitment for doing the right thing is rare, sadly...and ADMIRABLE1

Russ

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online