SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#177483 - 02/05/04 01:12 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Thanx Russ,
I just hope tonight is better than last week. If I don't see a full drum set when I get there ....... It's time to give notice. I'm giving him the benifit of the doubt, and I hope he pulls through. It just MIGHT be fun having a partner .....(once a week)

#177484 - 02/05/04 06:58 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Quote: “In show biz - there is LOTS of gray”.

Justification is the paint used to attempt to make things white. I’ve seen a lot of painters using a lot of paint. Two pages worth so far, as a matter of fact.

Just an observation to add to Steve’s thoughts. Very good Steve!

Doug

#177485 - 02/05/04 10:16 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
So, oh great and powerful Uncle, how did it go tonight? Can't sleep until I find out.
DonM

#177486 - 02/05/04 10:49 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
TERRYC Offline

Loc: St, Petersburg. Florida. u.s.a
Hey UD If the guy had the same ethics as you there would be no problem.It seems to me that you are carrying him.The fact that you have to take this home with you would be enough to make me quit.I think you are absolutely right not to be underhanded with his gig,but ask yourself would he, given his lack of professionalizm do the same for you.

#177487 - 02/06/04 02:49 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Uncle Dave Offline

This is business, not Sunday school. The rules are not the same, and even so - I have extended more than a few musical "olive branches" to this drummer.

My question of proper ethics was answered B4 I even posted, but I worded it as such to provoke debate and get some outside insight.
Thanx to all who chimed in.

Here are my facts about this whole deal:

#1) It's only HIS job till he looses it
#2) It's expected of me to do MY best work
#3) It's dificult to do my best when I'm being compromised by things that are out of my control.
#4) Ultimatly, the ROOM is the leader. It is my responsibility to please the patrons first, the managment second, me third and everyone else after that. Sorry, but the drummer just lacks seniority in the musical food chain here.

Thanx again to all who participated in this, but the issue of right or wrong is not the question. I've been right about my feelings all along. I just need to decide how to handle the mechanics of separating this duo. I will be as painless and tactful as I can, but this is my livelyhood, and it simply CANNOT go on in this fashion.

Off to work ! (as a soloist ! Ahhhhhh )

#177488 - 02/06/04 03:26 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Sorry, but the drummer just lacks seniority in the musical food chain here. Off to work ! (as a soloist ! Ahhhhhh )

Though the drummer may be at a lower skill level, it's still 'his' gig, and you're still working for him. Until that changes, he's higher on the food chain here. If the club management can't see it by now, I recommend quiting. There certainly gotta be better fishing spots out there in PA, isn't there?

Dave, I think working as a solo entertainer better suits you (as well as many other solo performers, including myself) because only this way do we have more control over the outcome of our performance. I'll admit, these days when I work with other musicians, I hire them, not the other way around. I only work with experienced pro musicians who I've actually seen working, auditioned, or gotten as a referal from a fellow respected gigging musician. This avoids this kind of problem. - Scott

#177489 - 02/06/04 03:36 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Uncle Dave,

From reading your posts in this matter it’s pretty easy to ascertain two things....

1. Your intention is to take the job over and stab your friend in the back...

2. Your ego is so inflated that you are failing to see that you are a "hired gun" in this situation and nothing more.

If you want to run the show that's fine but get your own gig. Attempting to take the gig away from the person that hired you in the first place is unconscionable. There is no "gray" area when it comes to ethics; you either do the right thing or the wrong thing. In my opinion your ethics leave something to be desired but if its works for you and you don't feel any guilt, great.

If the management offered me the gig I'd never take it no matter what, even if the other guy was fired. I've turned down many lucrative gigs because the person I'd be replacing is a friend. Knowing that there will never be any animosity between me and my friend is worth far more to me than what I was offered to take the gig. Of course YMMV from mine greatly.

#177490 - 02/06/04 08:53 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Quote: “This is business, not Sunday school. The rules are not the same”. Unquote!!//

Dave, what sunday school did you go to? Did I miss something? Two rules? The rule of righteousness and the rule of business? Guess I learned something. Guess I learned the same two set of determinations ‘Ensnareyou’ ascertained from all of this. A word of caution, stay away from sharp objects. Deflation is painful!

Steve really bottomed lined the whole discussion when he reasoned: - BOTTOM LINE? The bottom line is this; you've asked all of us a question that not only defines who YOU are but our replies reveal who WE are as well, and we should all read every reply posted to this question CAREFULLY.

Doug

#177491 - 02/06/04 10:58 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Uncle Dave Offline

Sorry guys, but you can't rattle me on this one.
While it is true that I was hired as a sideman for this specific job - there is nothing to suggest that THIS job, or any other job is forever. I believe that this experiment has run it's course and it's time to revamp the entertainment for a few nights at this place.
I am not stabing anyone's back here and you know it. I told the managment outright that i will not "take over" the night from the drummer. I told them that they would have to fire me and make some changes to bring me back, preferably on a different night.
If my performance has made them realize that I am better suited for the success of the room, then it's time to make a business decision.
No one has the right to a "gig for life". That's as ludicrous as bad teachers with tenure that can't be fired for poor performance. It's just wrong.

This case is really quite simple:
I have treated this drummer with the utmost respect and generosity, but we are not a good pair, so I am ready to bow out of this duo. There is music many other nights in this same room and I have campaigned for one of those nights, as have many of my customers. So, if the house offers me a job - ANY job......it's not stolen, stabed, gray or otherwise. It's a job that I'm qualified for that they decide to offer me.
End of story.

BTW,
Ensnareyou ..... good to see you back. Missed you.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online