SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#177453 - 01/30/04 02:49 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave, believe me, the guy will get another partner, and you'll soon get the call from management. You'll sound much better alone. Sounds like the guy is an OK person, so these things are harder than if he were a real jerk. Bad players will only hurt your rp.

An Itallian restaurant here in town took my recommendation and hired an acquaintence of mine. I sub for him often. They offer me the job every time I'm there. This guy plays sax to tracks...UGH! He's not good, but he's a great guy. I will not take the job, because I will not leave my current one, even though
the money is the same and this job is inside, with a great house system and stage.

Ethically, this, for me is like dating your friend's ex wife. It's ethical (I didn't go looking for the job), but would still hurt the guy's feelings. I've known him for 35 years. We played in a Motown band together in the early 70's.

But that's not your situation. You deserve the job without the hassle of putting up with a sub-par "partner". Option #2 will probably work out GREAT!

Best of luck on this one..it "ain't easy"!

Russ

#177454 - 01/30/04 03:09 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
UD I have heard you sing (via the internet) you DO NOT Need To Work With A SINGER!!!!! My mom used to say " A lepard does not change its spots" translation ... This guy will be what he's gonna' be. Bow out professionaly, say good bye to the owner and let the pieces fall where they may ... You will get THE call ..

#177455 - 01/30/04 04:29 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Wow - last night was one for the textbooks.
I was invited to accompany a drummer/singer at a steady Thursday nite very close to home. It was understood that it was "his" gig (his words) and we began the first Thursday in January.

Slowly, I began to realize that he can't do the whole night vocally, and his repertoire is no where NEAR complete enough to cover this room, so the load fell more on MY shoulders to pace the room and such.

UD

I'm certain you didn't play for free so from what you've written it seems to me you were "hired" to play a gig with a friend and nothing more. Just because his talents, repertoire, and punctuality fall short of what yours may be it is as you say "his" gig and not yours and you should respect that. He was capable enough to get the gig without you and I'm sure that he's capable enough to play the gig without you as well.

If the management at the place finds his work sub par I'm certain they will let him go but until that happens you as a "friend" should never try to steal a job away from him. Bringing up these issues in front of management would simply be a bad call on your part and definitely beyond the scope of what any good friend would do. How would you feel if a friend you hired tried to steal a gig from you? I'm guessing you wouldn't be happy about it and neither will he. Tell him it was nice playing with him but you need to seek other employment. Move on, don't look back, and don't do anything to try and take his gig.

#177456 - 01/30/04 04:49 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Dnj Offline

I was also wondering if this guy is so underpar with bad gig habits before you played with him, he must have been playing with others being hes' a drummer....
now if he pulled this crap previously at this gig for who knows how long...
what does that say for the management letting it go all this time? Hmmmmm?

#177457 - 01/30/04 07:06 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Option 2.

AJ

#177458 - 01/30/04 08:20 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
S0C9 Offline

Loc: NRH, TX, USA
UD,
I believe the general consensus is option 2, and I concur !!

Steve

#177459 - 01/30/04 10:45 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'd love to just walk away. Really, I would, but I'm going to give this guy a chance to impress me. I told him all my concerns. I didn't hold anything back or sugar coat it. He knows how I feel and he's willing to try and make a go of it.

He actually CAN'T do the gig with someone else,, now that the boss and the crowd is spoiled with my style and finesse. I'm not blowing my own horn here - it's obvious - all my Trenton people are coming out each week since I've been there.

There is still the issue that I was asked to play and that's not so cut and dry. If he wants to be the leader - he can set up a PA - call the tunes, SELL the tunes (can't do it W/O a bass drum!)and carry the load. So far, I'm convinced he can't do it. His material will loose him the job as soon as I leave ... if I leave.

I'm going to really give him a chance. If he played better, more aggressivly, and does his share of the work - I'll stay for a while. If he goes backwards .... I'll give my notice that night. If the house offers me the job, then so be it. I won't ask for it.

#177460 - 01/31/04 12:05 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Dave

Sounds great. The only thing I'm confused about is the part about a 255lb guy having finesse. Would you please elaborate on how such a thing could possibly take place. I haven't seen many 255lb-er's which much finesse lately

My buddy Dave! I can't live without out him, and sometimes I gotta admit I can't understand how the rest of you can survive with him. I like the guy.

He can even say Tenor Saxphone players stink and I wouldn't get offended. I like the guy. What's wrong with all you other folks that get offended. What's your problem. Lighten up, laugh you'll live longer. Bunch of prunes!! Ha! Ha!

Boy this forum is fun sometimes. What did I do before I bought a keyboard and discovered it? WOW!!!

#177461 - 01/31/04 12:13 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
Dnj Offline

255 thats lightweight!!! I carry more then that and can still Float like a Butterfly & Sting like a Bee!!

But I love my Tama SUMO Drum Throne...
my butt thanx me every night....

http://www.tama.com/hardware/product.asp?ID=54

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-31-2004).]

#177462 - 01/31/04 12:28 PM Re: Partnership woes / ethics ...........
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Boo, don't you realize that 255 is the prescribed weight for singer arrangers over 50. As a 255er myself, I feel I have as much finesse as anyone on stage. In fact, I got soul. Play on, Dave.

Dave, you're kind to give the drumer a second chance, but I think you will eventually feel the need to split. We keyboardists are a tough breed. I can't stand when other band members aren't doing their fair share, or at least what they are capable of doing.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online