SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#175141 - 11/30/06 05:25 PM Review of Korg PA800!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I posted this same message in a different topic but I decided to start a new one in case you miss it.
I'm just starting to come down from the enjoyment I've had playing this keyboard all day today.
The PA800 is one great new board! In a year where nothing has really made me really excited, this keyboard is the medicine I think the music industry needs right now. The past several months have been rather dissapointing in as much as nothing really new has arrived on the scene.
The PA800 delivers on all points. First, the build quality and weight is spectacular. It looks really good (dark Blue) and the keys feel very good. Not like the PA50 and PA80 but better. They are not semiwheighted but still have a very nice feel. There is aftertouch, which korg uses really well with voices that need the extra touch of volume, vibrato, effects or tonal change. The speakers are really loud! and clean with very good bass.
The inputs, outputs, USB host and 2 USB 2.0 ports, one up front and one in back are all you need. No hardrive comes with this model but you can add one but I don't think anyone will need to. You can use a usb flash drive or any external USB hard drive.
The vocal harmonizer is the TC Helicon which works great. There are two mic/line inputs with trim pots for both. Only input 1 can be routed through the harmonizer and effects. Input two passes through and comes out the right output. I love that the harmonizer now has an on screen equalizer that pops up when you access the harmony mode from the main page.
By the way, every part of this model has it's own EQ settings so you can eq just the bass style track, etc.
One of the new features is having 16 oscillators per voice so you can stack up a huge amount of sounds on one key for incredible realism using velocity crossfades.
The polyphony is 120 and the sounds are just incredible. In speaking with a friend at Korg today, he explained to me that the sound engine in this keyboard is more similar to the oasis than to the triton now.
The new acoustic piano is first class. Nothing like the PA1X which although I think is good, this is more like the Roland G70 now. The guitars are great with lots of expression. Trumpets, Strings, actually, I can't find any sounds that aren't up to the highest levels.
The styles are in my opinion where this model really shines. Although there are many from the PA1XPRO, there are so many new ones and although you could load these into a PA1X, they won't sound the same because this model has so many new sounds that just would loose some sparkle if not played in this model.
There are so many unplugged styles and when used with the pads (4) additional guitar strums and picking patterns as well as additional drum loops are added for really great add ons to the styles. As far as styles go, there are nothing but great styles in each catagory and Korg has added a third "quick" ending to the 800.
There is also now a dedicated vocal harmony on and off button and a dedicated vocal harmony effect on and off button.
One of the new features which many who liked to load sets into their PA1XPRO's will be happy to hear about is that after you've loaded a set from a drive into the internal memory and let's say it takes 3 minutes to load 16MB of samples or up to 10 minutes to load up all 64MB of included memory, when you shut of the keyboard and have selected "autoload PCM" mode in the preferences section of the "media" button, when you turn on the keyboard the next time the same samples load up when powering on in a fraction of the time it took before. Middle eastern musicians who need their own sounds, loops and styles will love the quickness.
The best part of all this for me, is that this keyboard sells for just a little bit over the price of the discontinued PA80. What a bargain!
Lastly, for now, and I could go on forever, there are two modes for those unfamiliar with Korg products. There's a drop down menue which allows you to check the box called "easy mode". When done, the screen has larger icons and less information to make navigation for some easier until you want to go into full navigation and then you can change back.
I made a phone call today to the product manager of the arranger keybaords at Korg USA today and thanked him for providing me with a keyboard to examine and play and show my customers and to also thank him for bringing such a smile to my face for developing something so enjoyable to play!

Don Mason, are you reading this...........If you get one of these I know you will be very happy!

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566 www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#175142 - 11/30/06 08:22 PM Re: Review of Korg PA800!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
George, I AM reading it for sure. Thanks!
I just got home for a job at Barksdale AFB, and had to wrestle that big ol G70 in freezing weather with a 30 mph wind. We're not used to that cold down here.
Anyway, I look forward to getting the PA800.
I'll call you tomorrow. Later today that is.
I hope it knows some country stuff.
The more I play the G70 the more impressed I am with the sounds and styles. It absolutely sounds like a live band playing. I hope the PA800 is that good.
Thanks again,
DonM

#175143 - 11/30/06 11:12 PM Re: Review of Korg PA800!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi George
Great report, there is however one question.
Loading times, you mention up to 10 min for 64 MB whereas if the USB stick and port were USB 2 it should be no more than a few seconds. Can you confirm?
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#175144 - 12/01/06 01:27 AM Re: Review of Korg PA800!
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
The new acoustic piano is first class. Nothing like the PA1X which although I think is good, this is more like the Roland G70 now.

I tried the PA800 and I found the Piano sound to be very poor in expressiveness, not comparable with the 4-layer stereo 88-key sampling Piano of G-70 or (even better) E-80 (and smaller sisters E-50/60).
Anyway, this is just my humble opinion.

#175145 - 12/01/06 02:28 AM Re: Review of Korg PA800!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Ooh, you make me drool for one, George. For one thing, I am glad to hear that the speakers are loud. My psr2000 is loud enough but I have always wondered why they don't make them louder. In some quiter situations, you could even gig with speakers only if they were louder.

Couple of years ago, somewhere on the net, I came across a group of PA80 files that were playable on my psr2000. It is my favorite group of styles. I have never heard any Yamaha styles so refreshing as these. This group is rock style. If PA800 has (or one could find) good country styles, I know I want one! I hate to get away from Yamaha because I know the OS, but...

Maybe some day.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#175146 - 12/01/06 04:32 AM Re: Review of Korg PA800!
Booby Offline

Hi,

thanks George. Your opinion is always welcome.

Regards.

#175147 - 12/01/06 04:44 AM Re: Review of Korg PA800!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Great review, George...I have a few Canadian friends who are interested in the PA-800.

Sounds like a fine instrument.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#175148 - 12/01/06 06:56 AM Re: Review of Korg PA800!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I just realized that the drive I was using was not a 2.0 drive. This must be why the load time was the same as the PA1XPRO.
As for the Grand Piano sound, I think most of you know I'm not anything but an old Trumpet Player who enjoys playing simple chords and simple right hand playing. I only listen mostly to what my ears tell me a nice piano should sound like and I listen to the "expressivness" of playing the keys soft and harder for the realistic natures of a grand piano. To my ear, and going back and forth to the Korg PA1XPRO piano and the Roland G70 sitting next to it, I thought the PA800 sounds so much like the Roland. I will spend more time comparing Pianos today.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#175149 - 12/01/06 07:14 AM Re: Review of Korg PA800!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Don't worry Bill, you can drool over mine when I get it.
DonM

#175150 - 12/01/06 07:19 AM Re: Review of Korg PA800!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
George:

I know this is a loaded question, but here goes anyway. What are your impressions PA 800 vs. the T2?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online