SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#156707 - 07/29/07 11:23 AM How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Dnj Offline

It always bothers me when I see someones playing Arranger keyboard on stage, restaurant or where ever and their head is buried in the music NEVER looking up or away from the sheet to make eye contact with the audience, smile or what ever......then when the song is over their flipping pages while people are waiting to dance on the floor or for the next song without even so much as to even acknowledge that the audience is even there leaving any banter as non existent! Playing arranger KB should be done effortlessly with a liquid flow. I frequently hear people tell me they saw someone playing somewhere and how boring it was to watch them perform because of many of the things I mentioned above..Although I can read...I personally choose not to use sheet music or lyrics, as a singer/ KB artist I want to react off the audience thruout the gig....after almost 40yrs I'd better know these tunes back & forth... Is reading YOUR "CRUTCH" ?
Are you too LAZY to memorize all your songs & lyrics? If I took away your sheets would your be totally lost? I'd like to tear into this topic to discuss this.....

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a Job You Love, and you will Never have to Work a Day in Your Life! ”

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-29-2007).]

#156708 - 07/29/07 12:29 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
It’s all down to the venue, type of music and type of instrument, if you look at organists most of them play with their back to the audience.
In the final analysis, so long as you engage with your audience between songs there isn’t normally a problem. (Again this will depend on venue)
Unfortunately this is one question where there is more then 1 answer.

Bill

#156709 - 07/29/07 12:35 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Unfortunately this is one question where there is more then 1 answer.
Bill

Bill.... I'm hoping to hear more answers very soon....lets wait & see.

#156710 - 07/29/07 02:28 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
It always bothers me when I see someone is playing Arranger keyboard on stage. Good point Donny.

I played for many years without a music stand, everything by memory. Here is the big mistake; because of time I used music on a few new tunes, after that it became a crutch followed by a need.

I work now with a music stand present on all jobs but it is more of a crutch, my attention is still out front relating. Right now I am more uncomfortable singing to a midi file without doing much with the keyboard. I know it’s in my mind –maybe.

I have had music in front of me while I’m playing the song from beginning to end only to find the music on the stand was not what I was singing. I am now playing 90% of my songs reading lyrics and chords, no note notation. One step closer to not having a music stand in front of me. I do have the music stand (My laptop) off on my right about 45 degrees, it’s not directly n front of me.

My thought, if you not using music keep it that way don’t change. If you are reading music and have a long list of songs the change would be a big task.

After all that, the big question is; “Are you doing the job”? “Do they call you back”?

John C.

#156711 - 07/29/07 02:45 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Well right now I'm learning or relearning over 30 songs on rather short notice. Like about 2 days before the first gig.

After I get used to them I'm sure that will disappear a little at a time. I mean, I do have other things to do.haha

I do a lot of work with pick up bands. What else would a person do but use the fake books or whatever. It's done a lot around here and I don't think the public minds one bit.

I bring the books otherwise but find myself hardly using them.

On another note, being a band player from 7 pieces to big bands, I think reading music is natural and normal. I also think to the public it must appear that I really am "playing that thing."

A little different for a singer I guess, but I'd rather hear excellent singing using music than not so good singing without.

I see pros doing new stuff with music on stage or on TV playing new stuff. Like Maynard Fersuson did, or Doc Severinsen, etc, etc.

#156712 - 07/29/07 04:57 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny, it probably bothers me more than you that I have to use lead sheets. (I'm not trying to be a wise guy either with that comment). My training was geared more toward reading rather than from memory so I've always used sheets. That's one of the reasons I love the music pad pro. No fumbling paper, low profile. I try to keep as much eye contact with my audience while reading. I guess it's what newscasters use. i.e. a telepromter but looking at the audience.

It's not because I'm lazy I can tell you that. 25 years in sales I had to be a self starter. Now in my full time work, my day begins with a 5:15 wake up call and about a 10 hour average work day. Then dinner some evening time with my family. At 9 PM the fun starts, that's usually the time I get to the keyboard and play, learn new material. Most nights it's about 12 midnight when I head to bed that is unless like in the last few weeks I'm even up a bit later learning the ins and outs of the G70.

I guess it's how you set your priorities. I know I should probably devote at least half hour a night trying to memorize material. I don't. I'm not making excuses, but after the day I put in I just need fun time to play the piano and or arranger keyboard. I have a lot of respect for those that memorize music, because I know it's not a piece of cake to do. ( maybe for some it is and more power to you if you can) Just my 2 cents. Good topic for sure.

[

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 07-29-2007).]

#156713 - 07/29/07 06:16 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
zuki Offline

No books, no sheets, no computers, no midi files, mp3 or other stuff - only live arranger play with pure audience participation. After performing over 60x a month, shame on me for not memorizing my material.

I played my first bar (3 hours) tonight in 10 years this way and it went great. I have yet to find a song that I cannot play with styles

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#156714 - 07/29/07 08:04 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
My laptop is primarily a virtual instrument rather than a music database, so it sits sort of off to the side when I play.

I can remember the music to just about anything after I've played it a few times. Lyrics seem to take me somewhat longer. For the occasions when I sing something that I might stumble on, I have tons of lyric text files, and I simply use them when the need arises and read the lyrics off of the T2's screen. I usually don't have to look at it very much, so I can keep eye contact with my audience most of the time.

Even when I've played in band setups, whenever space permits, I like being out in front ( or as close as possible ) with the lead singer and guitars. I like to be able to see as much of the audience as I can. So many of the more popular bands I've seen have the keys and player off to the side, where the field of view makes it difficult to see some of the audience. Never liked that for myself.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 07-29-2007).]

#156715 - 07/29/07 08:25 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
. After performing over 60x a month, shame on me for not memorizing my material.

zuki

Zuki so when can we hear a few demos....with all those gigs per month you must be well rehearsed .....common dont be shy! Memorization is the away to go for me lets me do what I want and also improvise at a split second as I cultivate the audience and my show thruout the gig....juggling all my performance tools!

#156716 - 07/29/07 08:33 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
It can become a crutch and then it becomes more trouble than it's worth, or "I'm too busy to memorize", to change.

For those who are 'readers', I'm sure most do not realize how much better they could perform without reading, because then they could put so much more heart into their performance. And quite honestly, have a heck of a lot more fun doing it.

Glenn

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online