SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#173015 - 08/22/03 08:18 PM Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I went to the store near me that has several Technics Arranger Keyboards on display with the Technics Flagship KN7000 on display also. This time I made it a point to extensively check out the KN7000 and asked the salesperson many technical questions about it. She was thoroughly versed about the in's and out's of it which was encouraging because I actually got some substantial and informative information from her.

I think I played all of the roughly 2,000 sounds included on the KN7000. I wanted to get a 'good' idea how the sounds sounded and if they were very realistic so I spent what seemed like a couple hours just playing the different Voices. Conclusion? I think nearly 100% of the Voices were 'very' realistic. The only Voice that gave me pause was the Growl Sax which I thought sounded a little 'off'. But from what I understand "every" Voice is 'fully' editable so I would be able to tweak it if I wanted. And there are luscious Scat Voices on the KN7000, and tons of them to boot. Also I thought some of the Drum Kits were a little weak but I had the volume turned way down because there was a Piano tuner in the store and he was trying to tune different Pianos while I was there so I turned the volume down so as not to disturb him. I later asked him if I was a bother and he told me I didn't bother him at all. He said he had a way of tuning everything else out and concentrate just on his tuning. To which I was glad that I didn't disturb him from his duty.

So the challenge is before you. Convince me why I shouldn't get the KN7000 if you can. Is there some 'secret' flaw in the KN7000 I don't know about? I know it doesn't have Aux Outputs but it does have Sub 1 and Sub 2 outs. Can the Sub outs be used as Aux Outputs? Is there some other concern I should know about the KN7000 before I purchase it that might be a buy stopper? Yes, the Sequencer Timing Resolution is only 96PPQ but did you know that 96PPQ is the industry "Standard" for Midi? (That's what I was told anyway). Higher PPQ is only necessary when you chain other Keyboard devices together and then Sequence and record while the other devices are connected.

All advice about the KN7000 that might make me not purchase it is welcomed and encouraged. I WANT TO KNOW of any hidden flaws or hear any negative comments "if they are factual" about why I shouldn't buy the KN7000. If you guys and gals can't convince me otherwise I will most probably go ahead and get the KN7000. But if there is good reason not to buy it I sure would like to know about it. PS: There is a new review on Keyboard Magazine about the KN7000 in the "September issue" but Guitar Center didn't have the September issue in yet. Can someone who's read it fill me in on the details?

Best regards,
Mike

#173016 - 08/22/03 08:35 PM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Have you listened to other keyboards such as genesys and tyros?

It seems to me that one needs to keyboards:

Heavy duty workstation does it all like genesys and sk880.

light keyboard such as: Tyros and PSR2100

It seems to me one needs to compare any keyboard to Genesys and Tyros.

#173017 - 08/22/03 09:19 PM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Idatrod Offline

Thanks for your reply sk880user. Yes, I have played the Tyros extensively. It is a very good Keyboard but it does not have built-in speakers which is a requirement for me. Unfortunately I have been unable to find a dealer that carries the GEM line in my area. Besides, the Genesys is too "heavy" for easy transporting. The KN7000 weighs in at 38.8 lbs. which is acceptable to me.

Thanks again sk880user. If you can think of any other reason for me not to get a KN7000 please feel free to tell me so. I am trying to determine from other SZ members that have played the KN7000, own it, or know about its shortcomings, if any; to share them with me and the group so I can make a better informed decision on whether to buy it or not. So far, I am leaning 'heavily' in favor of getting it. But some revelation or fatal flaw about it that might sway me the other way is what I am trying to determine before I purchase it.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: I am saddened by the fact that I haven't been following the SZ Technics Forum threads on a regular basis to stay up to date about the KN7000. So I will also do some "cramming" to try and catch up with all the positives and negatives about the KN7000 before Monday when I either order one or decide not to (because someone or something convinced me otherwise).

#173018 - 08/22/03 09:50 PM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You'll need a mixer or mic preamp. The internal mic input is horrid. Also, the hard drive is costly and specific to Technics. Other than that...if you want - I can order a new kn7k for $3000 shipped to you. Only snag is ... no returns. We don't stock them here.

#173019 - 08/22/03 10:23 PM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Idatrod,

E-mail me directly at ensnareyou@aol.com and I will forward you contacts of dealers who can sell to you well below the price you have been quoted.

#173020 - 08/22/03 10:56 PM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Idatrod Offline

Dave, you may have just revealed the 'achilles heel' of the KN7000. I sing; that is one of my obligations and enjoyments as a Band member and Keyboardist. And to be able to run my Vocals through the Keyboard and out to the sound system is a lot easier for me. To not have a good Mic In with Harmonizer "when needed", is unacceptable for me. I am soooo sad. I had high hopes on the KN7000. It seems to be such a great Keyboard. The wind in my sails has just ceased. I was ready to open my pocketbook unreservedly and now you've ruined everything Dave. Thanks UD for giving me the word straight up. As I think about it now, I remember Scott Yee saying something months ago about the KN7000's terrible Vocal Harmonizer and it being one of the reasons he didn't get it. I am glad you jogged my memory UD.

On a side note I heard over at the Technics Forum that the KN7500 is suppose to be due out at Winter NAMM 2004. Hopefully they will have improved the Vocal Harmonizer to compete with the Yamaha's and the soon to be Korg Pa1X/Pro. If they have, I might again set my sights on the new Technics Flagship Arranger.

Thanks for all your help everybody. Sorry that it's not going to work out. And I'm sorry that my memory didn't serve me well enough to remember what Scott Yee said a few months ago about the KN7000's Harmonizer. Because if I had of I would never had posted these threads. I get so busy sometimes it's a wonder I remember what I had for lunch.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Ensnareyou, thanks for your offer. It is much appreciated but as you can see now I have decided against getting the KN7000. If the KN7500 has an improved Vocal Harmonizer I may take you up on your offer if and when I get a KN7500, if your offer is still good.

#173021 - 08/23/03 04:05 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Dnj Offline

It's nothing new Idarod...The Kn5,6, 6.5 ,7k all had terrible mic/vocalizer features. This is something Tercnics has never addressed from model to model.

#173022 - 08/23/03 05:00 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Mike,
Just as Donny says, I would not hold out much hope of Technics rushing to improve the vocal harmoniser on the 7500.

I owned the kn5000, which to be fair did not have a harmoniser on board at all. You had to buy a seperate digitech unit. I always found the mic input on this board ok as it stood but then I am not a pro.

I then moved up to the 6000 and there was a built in harmoniser which was the most dreadful waste of space you can imagine. Real 'toy' stuff. Disgusting really to include it on a high end keyboard at all as it was totally useless even for home play. Anyone attempting to use it live would have been laughed out of the gig.

As a dedicated technics fan we all waited for the 6500 feeling sure that our loyalty would be rewarded and that technics would address this issue. Did they fiddlesticks. Same old same old. Then when the 7000 came out with exactly the same sh...... 'unit' on board I bought a 9000 pro and left technics behind. Do I regret it....not for a minute.

There was a lot to like about technics boards but if singing is your thing and you want decent onboard stuff then steer well clear of technics.
Very best to you
Tony W

#173023 - 08/23/03 06:07 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Dave, it’s so very kind of you to share all your great knowledge and expertise with Mike. The poor boy might have spent all his money for something that is missing so many necessary features to make beautiful music. I only have one comment that I think you made that might lead the poor fellow to really be sad if he did not head your advice. Just think, Dave, if he decided to purchase the KN7000 he thought so much of, and then decided to purchase that overpriced hard drive made only for the KN7000 he really would have been mad at you for not telling him the truth. I really think you owe poor Mike an apology and set him straight before he goes off the deep end and really makes a bad blunder by buying that 7000. Don’t try to make old Mike feel that he might still be able to add a hard drive later if needed. After all, you tested the 7000 when it came out, evaluated it, and are respected for your expert opinions on this forum. Just come right out and tell him the 7000 has no hard drive. No hard drive is even made for the lousy thing, so how could you mislead him, or maybe you are just trying to be kind and soften the bad news about the new technics board he had his heart set on. The honest and knowledgeable person that I know you are, I prefer to believe the latter. I just felt it my duty to post this so Mike would not be misled if he made the big mistake of purchasing a new seven thousand. I see he has already thanked you for making the decision for him. I don’t see how, if as he stated he extensively checked out the 7 and had such a knowledgeable sales person helping him, that he could have been so deceived. Well maybe not deceived, could be that it’s his bad memory he speaks of, is his problem, because he already forgot how bad others told him the board was. So Mike, glad you did not make that bad purchasing mistake and you value the advice of others so much. Too bad you missed evaulating such important features you require, such as vocals and hard drive storage, in your extensive evaluation but I guess it’s understandable with your bad memory. And Dave, keep up the good work.

Grandpa Doug

#173024 - 08/23/03 06:15 AM Re: Someone try to convince me why I shouldn't get a KN7000...
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Another thing I would have a question about: what would happen if you tried to playback midi sequences that were created at a higher clock rate than 96PPQ? Just wonderin'.

There is a review of the KN7000 in the new Sept. issue of Keyboard. They liked it overall but apparently they didn't try the vocal input or harmonizer. I still have a problem with a 61 note keyboard for that kind of money, even if it does display a slide show while playing music.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online