SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#172536 - 09/30/05 07:35 PM Worlds largest collection of MIDI files
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi,

I found a resource for perhaps what could be the worlds largest collection of MIDI files and Yamaha Styles.

This has all been painfully compiled by a guy named Eddie Curtis. I was simply speechless when I got the 7 CDs and began digging into his collection. It would take me years to go through these MIDI files.

Here is his ad on eBay for the Yamaha Styles:
http://tinyurl.com/e3fht

Here is the link to his 6 CD collection stuffed with zipped MIDI files:
http://tinyurl.com/dhalh

I ordered both and they arrived within a week. I could not think of a better investment.
Now I am thinking of getting an Edirol SD-90 Studio Canvas to playback and edit these MIDI files. They sound best when played back through a dedicated GM/GS sound module.

MIDI Store is selling this unit for $685 with free shipping:
http://tinyurl.com/a38g9

Do you guys have any opinions on the SD-90 unit?

Tapas

#172537 - 09/30/05 08:21 PM Re: Worlds largest collection of MIDI files
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds like a great deal for anyone in the OMB biz.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#172538 - 09/30/05 08:53 PM Re: Worlds largest collection of MIDI files
Tapas Offline

Yes indeed this will be ideal for anyone using OneManBand. For $35 you are getting thousands of Yamaha Styles plus possibly the entire MIDI library in existence!

Now add in the Edirol SD-90 audio/MIDI USB interface with its set of GM2/GS/Xglite sound palette, and you got yourself a compact studio. Run OMB on a laptop, connect a simple MIDI controller to the SD-90 and hook it up to your laptop via USB. That’s it.

The SD-90 is a self-contained unit. It does not tax the CPU. It has its own set of internal effects, mixer, MIDI patchbay, and a PC Editor for its voices. The polyphony is 128 notes over 32 parts.

A cheap laptop running OMB, a lightweight controller keyboard, plus the SD-90 acting as your sound source/audio-MIDI interface is all you need to take your music on the go. It is a very simple and elegant solution.

Did I mention that the SD-90 has a guitar/mic input? You can sing along and have your voice processed internally as well. All this for $685 makes it very attractive.

Tapas

#172539 - 09/30/05 09:06 PM Re: Worlds largest collection of MIDI files
Vquestor Offline

Tapas,

I tryed emailing you, but got a failure.
I happen to have a brand new Roland SK-88Pro
for sale which would be a much less expensive and more powerful solution as your midi sound source. If interested, you can email me
at vquestor@yahoo.com or vquestor1@yahoo.com

#172540 - 09/30/05 09:42 PM Re: Worlds largest collection of MIDI files
Tapas Offline

Vquestor,

I have sent you an email!

Regards,

Tapas

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online