SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174159 - 09/29/05 07:19 AM How good is the Korg PA 1 X pro as a master keyboard?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I remember some time ago reading that the Korg PA1X pro can send bank and program changes to external midi devices and store these settings as a part of a registration: can any PA1X pro owner confirm this? And how many midi zones is it possible to set (in other words, how many external devices can you control at the same time?)
Thanks in advance,
Andrea

#174160 - 09/29/05 07:35 AM Re: How good is the Korg PA 1 X pro as a master keyboard?
Booby Offline

Hi,

yes I confirm this.

You can use 4 midi channel (upp1,2,3 and lower) and use zones into upper track only.

Hope this help.

Cheers.

#174161 - 09/29/05 07:49 AM Re: How good is the Korg PA 1 X pro as a master keyboard?
Dreamer Offline

Hi Booby,
thank you for your reply (that was QUICK!)
May I ask you something more?
Does this mean that you can have a separate external zone (with its own bank and program change numbers) for each one of the THREE upper tracks?
Also, can you adjust the volume for each track and store it as a part of the registration?
Thanks!

#174162 - 09/29/05 09:25 AM Re: How good is the Korg PA 1 X pro as a master keyboard?
Booby Offline

Hi,

> Does this mean that you can have a separate external zone (with its own bank and program change numbers) for each one of the THREE upper tracks?

upper tracks, internally and externally, works in three different tracks or midi channels (1, 2 and 3 as default). You can set a separate zone, program change, ......

> Also, can you adjust the volume for each track and store it as a part of the registration?

volume, pan, fx send, etc. for each track and store them in your sts or performance while making also a mix of internal and external sounds (every track has his own internal/external/both assigment) if any.

Cheers.

#174163 - 09/29/05 09:42 AM Re: How good is the Korg PA 1 X pro as a master keyboard?
Dreamer Offline

Thanks! I feel a lot better now.

#174164 - 09/29/05 09:51 AM Re: How good is the Korg PA 1 X pro as a master keyboard?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Andrea, Is this a hint you may be going with the Korg PA1XPro, instead of the Roland G70, as a Master Keyboard Controller for your Tyros2? - Scott

#174165 - 09/29/05 11:57 AM Re: How good is the Korg PA 1 X pro as a master keyboard?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Careful.... Unless Korg changed the format on the PA1x from what it was on the PA80. The PA80 can send bank and program data, but in real time.. only of it's proprietary banks ( MSB 120 and 121 and LSB 0-20 or so ). This isn't going to be much help when you want to use a module that uses different banks. It would be ok however, for a GM only module that does not recognize bank changes.

You might be able to access other banks from within the sequencer, but again this won't help in a real time situation.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 09-29-2005).]

#174166 - 09/29/05 03:03 PM Re: How good is the Korg PA 1 X pro as a master keyboard?
Dreamer Offline

Hmmm... AJ, you got me thinking. Anyway, if the PA1X pro enables you to store the bank and program changes within a registration, I think that it should be possible to select the bank send number, like I do on my Roland A-37... or am I wrong?

#174167 - 09/29/05 07:10 PM Re: How good is the Korg PA 1 X pro as a master keyboard?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Andrea,

The best bet might be to contact Korg and ask, but my guess is that it will only work with the patches and banks that it needs to use with the PA1x's internal sound module. It is no different in my Motif ES either, except that it might be possible to assign non proprietary banks from the sequencer. Still, I could not save these as user voices in the ES.

OTOH, the A-37 is different in that it is a controller that is designed to work with any module and bank / patch combination.

AJ

#174168 - 09/29/05 10:13 PM Re: How good is the Korg PA 1 X pro as a master keyboard?
Dreamer Offline

AJ,
thanks for your input, but this leaves me wondering... you mention the Motif ES and I have read on the owner's manual that you can control up to 4 zones (internal or external), each one with a different bank and program change. I am pretty sure that a lot of people use their Motif ES like a midi controller and, even if it's not the easiest one to operate (my Roland A-37 is a breeze to work with), it works.
So, how can be that you cannot use your Motif ES as a master keyboard to control external modules? It am not totally convinced that it works only in sequencer mode.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online