SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#171713 - 08/04/06 04:54 AM Darn you, Squeak
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Well, the VP-550 vocal keyboard (originally posted by SqueakD) just became available (1 only at Musicians Friend) and I just shelled out 1295.99 for one more thing to have to try to master (it gets harder with each year). I won't be posting anything as it would be hard to top that Don Lewis demo. I will, however, post a review to let you know if it's as easy to get good results as he makes it seem. Should arrive in 3-5 business days so hopefully, I'll be blissfully making an idiot of myself by attempting anything vocal. Meanwhile, I'll be scouting out more choral/choir arrangements and trying to get move familiar with "gospel choir" voicings.

chas

#171714 - 08/04/06 05:00 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Congratulations on your new purchase, sounds like you can get some really nice results from this vocal keyboard once mastered.

#171715 - 08/04/06 05:05 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah baby! Let me know how that puppy works out for ya I still say that unit is going to make its way into many churches, schools (elementary/middle/highschool), and some colleges and universities--and studios of all types

There's a lot of potential in a keyboard like that. Look forward to your review.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#171716 - 08/04/06 06:36 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey Chas,

Did you buy it on sale or return? - It seems like a lot of dosh to fork out on pure speculation although I would love to try one myself.

Have a great time with your new toy - Hope you master it quickly and can be persuaded to record something for us to hear in the future.

Regards - KF

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 08-04-2006).]

#171717 - 08/04/06 07:06 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
cgiles Offline

.....and the real beauty of it is that, at only 49 keys, it's a lot easier to convince your wife that it only cost a "coupla' hunnert" .

chas

#171718 - 08/04/06 07:12 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Quote:
it only cost a "coupla' hunnert" .

chas[/B]

Chas, you must originally be from PA! We talk that way here, too!

Tim

[This message has been edited by CoasterTim (edited 08-04-2006).]

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#171719 - 08/04/06 12:24 PM Re: Darn you, Squeak
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not to be too negative here, but I hope and pray that schools and colleges are the LAST place that keyboards like this appear.......

You don't learn about great choral music by playing it on a keyboard, you learn it by participating in a REAL choir....... I guarantee, from listening to him play, Roland's demonstrator has worked with many great choirs to get that ability. Sure, once out of college or school, there's a use for it, but you don't learn about good voice leading and dynamics, and all the 'tricks' of great gospel and other choir music without participating in a real choir.

#171720 - 08/04/06 12:49 PM Re: Darn you, Squeak
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I understand what you mean, but keep in mind "sign of the times". Everything's being downsized to save money.

I'm not saying these are going to replace choirs as we know it, but they sure as hell are going to put a dent into the field.

I understand that one can learn best from the choir itself, but these are different times my friend. I can see other venues saving some serious dough when they find out (one person) can "essentially" do the work of an entire choir using this keyboard. Don Lewis's demo is supportive of this. Keep in mind that no matter how great one person is--there are hundreds more like them. Just imagine little Don Lewis's everywhere playing these things

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#171721 - 08/04/06 12:56 PM Re: Darn you, Squeak
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Not to be too negative here, but I hope and pray that schools and colleges are the LAST place that keyboards like this appear.......

You don't learn about great choral music by playing it on a keyboard, you learn it by participating in a REAL choir....... I guarantee, from listening to him play, Roland's demonstrator has worked with many great choirs to get that ability. Sure, once out of college or school, there's a use for it, but you don't learn about good voice leading and dynamics, and all the 'tricks' of great gospel and other choir music without participating in a real choir.

Uhh oh....then I could be really screwed here. Luckily, I have no aspirations of becoming a choir director. I'd just like to add some slightly more realistic choir backgrounds to a couple of my (jazz) compositions (think Donald Byrd's "Cristo Redemptor" or perhaps Roberta Flack's "Bridge over troubled waters" with the Harlem Boys Choir). Also, it sounds like it could be a barrel of fun. Also, I sort of agree with Diki but could see it being used to augment or "flesh out" a small church choir (in skillful hands, of course) or perhaps community theatre and the like. What the heck, I can't wait. I feel as though it's one keyboard that you don't have to wait for the next "best thing" 'cause no matter how much they improve it or how realistic they make it, the same dissenting arguments will still apply..."You can't replace a live chorus/choir with a keyboard". Why not? We replaced a live band with a keyboard. Isn't that why we all bought our arrangers in the first place .

chas

#171722 - 08/04/06 01:43 PM Re: Darn you, Squeak
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I have posted about it once before, in my best friend's wedding i could hear a very good sounding choir. In tune, with good voices and all. Seemed like 4 persons singing.
I thought to myself "ok, this is going to cost him money" and then i realized that while i could HEAR the persons singing, i couldn't actually SEE where they were located.
looking more closely, I spotted the right "chanter" (everyone who's been in a Greek orthodox church will know what I am talking about), singing and touching "something" below his songbook, (this something was under a cloth, hidden from plain view)

I don't know what it was, it had a 3 or 4 octave keyboard (probably little keys). the guy was simply pressing keys and singing at the same time, and beautiful harmonies were produced.
I was amazed.

if that VP roland can do such things, it might be enough reason to buy it so i can see the faces my father will meake when he hears what it can do (he chants sometimes at our church)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online