SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#171150 - 01/01/02 12:52 PM Home Recording Studio
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Happy New Year All!!!!

Well, I guess I'll begin the New Year the way I left off, coming to all of you folks for help. First, I'd like to thank Uncle Dave and Scott Yee for replying to my e-mails and helping me to get started. Now, I apologize for utilizing the arranger keyboard forum for this, but I think the topic is related to all your work, and I know I'll get reputable answers and suggestions here. If it's a problem, I'll be glad to post elsewhere. So, here goes. I just finished my basement. My plan is to put a home recording studio in. My question for all of you is, How would you do it and what equipment would you select? My purpose is to record sequences and background music for my gigging, as well as produce my own CD's and my groups music. So, where to begin? A computer, drum machines, recording software, a synth...(now I'll really open pandoras box) which one??(only kidding), digital piano, sound modules, Monitor speakers,digital recorder, mixing boards...etc. What are some of your setups?? I realize there are a million variables. I'm just looking for a starting point to do more research and educate myself. Thought this might be fun for all of you and a chance for all of us to get some ideas. It's your chance to spend my $$$ (kind of). Anyhow, thanks for listening.
Regards Brian

#171151 - 01/01/02 03:15 PM Re: Home Recording Studio
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Brian,
My sister lives in Sudbury, and I'm overdue for a visit, so just send me the dimentions of the room, and a check for $25,000 and I'll design, deliver and set up your studio for you ! I love doing that !

#171152 - 01/01/02 03:21 PM Re: Home Recording Studio
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I'll do it for $24,599[No S&H Green stamps or Arco credit cards]

#171153 - 01/01/02 10:26 PM Re: Home Recording Studio
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Brian,

Boy, your question definitely opens up Pandora's box as the options are limitless and everyone's tastes, needs and requirements are different . I'm primarily a performing entertainer/musician and not really a hard core studio techie. My setup is pretty simple but I think it has the essential important recording gear to fullfill my needs.

I record backup sequences/styles (midi) on the arranger keyboard itself (Technics KN5000/ Yamaha PSR2000) and use EMC Styleworks Universal software to convert midi song files into arranger keyboard styles. The great thing about the arranger keyboard is that it's not only a great one man band performance instrument, but it's also a one stop music studio production tool as well. For demos, I record my performance (analog-digital audio) out of the arranger keyboard into my PC (Cakewalk Sonar) or Mac G4 (Logic Audio) via an M-Audio Midiman Delta 66 soundcard. From here you can edit or record more digital audio/midi tracks in and add post efx etc and then burn to CD. My advice is to start with a simple setup of the best 'quality' pieces you can afford, and slowly add as your budget allows and needs require. Start by making sure your source equipment (keyboard, sound modules, microphone) are of the highest quality you can afford, because the end product will always be limited by what you are able to capture at the source (input). Here's are a few other pieces I use and recommend:

Mac G4
Dell Dimension 8200, Pentium 4, 1.8 ghrtz, 512 RAM
Genelec 1029A Near Field Monitors
AKG C3000 Condenser Mic
SoundForge software

Hope this at least gives you some ideas.
It's truly amazing what you can do in a home studio these days. Good luck.

- Scott

#171154 - 01/01/02 10:33 PM Re: Home Recording Studio
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My studio is a Sony Minidisk recorder. Just hook it up to outputs on the mixer.
Seriously, you could spend from $200. to $200,000, according to your needs and pocketbook.
I think Uncle Dave has a good one. It might be worth the $25,000 (minus my 15% referral fee of course).
DonM

#171155 - 01/01/02 11:03 PM Re: Home Recording Studio
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Listen to Don. I make pretty studios !
( they think I'm kidding !! )

#171156 - 01/02/02 02:44 AM Re: Home Recording Studio
MR Bulk Offline

Loc: Mililani, Hawaii, USA
Brian,

My "home studio" really started out (and pretty much still consists) as:

1. Arranger keyboard of some type

2. Fostex X-15 4-track analog (since replaced by Boss BR-8 8-track digital) recorder

3. Kenwood condenser microphone

I don't even use a vocals isolation booth, just my small carpeted den.

That's all you need, every song you will hear on my website(s) was done with the above equipment and my voice. That is IT!!!
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Wong_Songs/index-1.html
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/wongsongs_music.htm

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Wong_Songs/index-1.html

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

#171157 - 01/02/02 07:29 AM Re: Home Recording Studio
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Hello,

First, select a software to build your system around. There are 4 famous choices:

a) Protools (includes hardware): very expensive in my opinion.

b) Logic: good but I heard it is difficult to use.

c) Sonar from cakewake: easy and reliable BUT does not have all the features and quality of cubase and Logic.

d) Cubase. This is what I use and it is the middle of everything

Second: Select a professional sound card to go with the already selected software. That is a whole topic of research. By the way, "soundblaster live" is NOT professional and if you are planning to do MORE than mere demo, skip all soundblaster products.

Third, A computer that is dedicated only to recording: buy the following:

a) the new P3 1200MHZ (no P4, and no celeron)
b) 512MEGS of RAM (256MEGS min)
c) OS: windows 98SE... no XP and no millenium
d) Two harddrives: I recommend IBM ATA100 7200RPM
e) Plexwriter cdwriter

Fourth, powered speakers.

Fifth, mixer

sixth, good quality mic

I hope this helps.

#171158 - 01/02/02 07:34 AM Re: Home Recording Studio
Dnj Offline

I just do all edits, efx, on my Psr9000 or in off a floppy in Cake Walk pro. Record Music, Vocals (sing thru keyboard), Harmony on multitracks directly into the P/C using the ACID PRO 3.0 recording program. Take the final mixdown and burn it to CD. Thats all you need to make a decent sounding demo.

good luck

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-02-2002).]

#171159 - 01/02/02 09:36 AM Re: Home Recording Studio
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Thanks everybody for your reply's. I figured I was beginning a thread that could go on indefinately and would stir up alot of creative choices. Uncle dave, I only have 22$000 saved up....I figure if we drop Don's referal fee...I'm there. Unless Fran will undercut you by 500 bucks again. I actually like the minidisk studio thing.(You guys should do comedy for awhile....it suits you)....anyhow, I'm still interested in other points of view but this is a great beginning...cya around the forum Brian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online