Happy New Year All!!!!

Well, I guess I'll begin the New Year the way I left off, coming to all of you folks for help. First, I'd like to thank Uncle Dave and Scott Yee for replying to my e-mails and helping me to get started. Now, I apologize for utilizing the arranger keyboard forum for this, but I think the topic is related to all your work, and I know I'll get reputable answers and suggestions here. If it's a problem, I'll be glad to post elsewhere. So, here goes. I just finished my basement. My plan is to put a home recording studio in. My question for all of you is, How would you do it and what equipment would you select? My purpose is to record sequences and background music for my gigging, as well as produce my own CD's and my groups music. So, where to begin? A computer, drum machines, recording software, a synth...(now I'll really open pandoras box) which one??(only kidding), digital piano, sound modules, Monitor speakers,digital recorder, mixing boards...etc. What are some of your setups?? I realize there are a million variables. I'm just looking for a starting point to do more research and educate myself. Thought this might be fun for all of you and a chance for all of us to get some ideas. It's your chance to spend my $$$ (kind of). Anyhow, thanks for listening.
Regards Brian