SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169355 - 04/09/05 05:08 PM Mixers stereo thru mono
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
I have my arranger keyboards (KN7000 and PSR3000) output connected by stereo connectors into my mixer. I have now got a sound module as well which has stereo outputs. I have no remaining stereo inputs on my mixer for this module but I do have mono line ins available. A search of this forum sugests Stereo L & R Outputs to individual mono inputs on ther mixer, each panned left or right as appropriate. I play at home in a small study (studio!)and probably I will not hear anything significantly different. I am curious though as to what the technical difference would be comparing the above setup against feeding the signals into a stereo mixer connection.
Thanks for any advice
Keith

#169356 - 04/10/05 03:34 AM Re: Mixers stereo thru mono
Roel Offline

Hi Keith,
You write about 'stereo connectors'. Just to be sure about your setup :
Did you mean 'stereo jacks' (with tip, ring and sleeve)? ...... or use two separate (mono) jacks plugged into a STEREO channel (strip) of the mixer?

If your mixer has both stereo- and mono inputs the suggestion using 2 mono's panned to opposite directions is OK. Technically there is no difference... in fact a stereo strip = 2 mono strips combined. The stereo strip however has 'double-potentiometers' (kind of piggy-back) e.g. adjusting an EQ setting has effect on L and R.
Realize you have to adjust gain, EQ and volume on both mono channels when used for stereo.

If the KN7k or PSR3k has stereo line-inputs you also could use one of them. The soundmodule is mixed with the keyboard.

#169357 - 04/10/05 03:55 AM Re: Mixers stereo thru mono
KeithB Offline

Roel,
Im using what I believe are balanced (stereo ?) TRS connectors (though I'm having a little trouble understanding the various types of connectors). My mixer does give me a 3 band EQ adjustment, pan control and fader for each mono channel so I guess it will do the job.
Thanks for your comments.
Keith

#169358 - 04/10/05 05:27 AM Re: Mixers stereo thru mono
Roel Offline

Please tell me what mixer you have Keith.

TRS stands for Tip Ring Sleeve (or 'stereo' jack) In fact this connector can be used for 'balanced' signal cables AND stereo signals as Headphones.

'Stereo' and 'balanced' are NOT the same :

Stereo means two separate audio signals (L+R) thru the same cable (the cable has three wires). The tip of the connector used for the Left audio, the ring Right audio and the sleeve (body) is the common ground.

'Balanced' cables transport only one audio channel. The Tip is the POSITIVE (called HOT or +) signal wire, The Ring the NEGATIVE (called Cold, return or -) wire and the sleeve (body) is connected to the cable's shield. The shield in fact does not transport electricity (electrons) ...... the Stereo version does !

In fact it is a little confusing when people see aa headphone-connector it is STEREO, but on a balanced microphone it is MONO but balanced

#169359 - 04/10/05 05:12 PM Re: Mixers stereo thru mono
KeithB Offline

Roel
Thanks for your help in steering me along the path of knowledge.
I have an Alto S12 mixer, but also have the Roland XV5050 module into the mixer stereo, plus a Behringer Virtualizer DSP2024P into Aux. The equipment I am now trying to fit in is the Yamaha VL70-m wind sound module. This latter module is a mono sound but the manual states to use stereo connections.
Keith

#169360 - 04/11/05 01:40 AM Re: Mixers stereo thru mono
Roel Offline

Keith,
I just took a look at the S12 (almost an exact copy of the Mackie 1202VLZ)

You have 4 stereo inputs(ch. 5/6, 7/8, 9/10 and 11/12). You have to plug in TWO 6.3 mm jacks (TS of TRS), left and right channel per stereo input.

In fact you have 2 more stereo-inputs : AUX1 return and AUX2 return. You could use one or both.

The Virualizer can best be connected to the main-out INSERT points, so the signal is processes directly in the audio chain.
You need a TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) here : Tip is send, ring is return, sleeve is shield/ground.

So, you have 6 (!) stereo inputs and 4 mono ones. Ch. 5/6 is switchable between mic (mono) and line (stereo) ?

Hope this helps ?

#169361 - 04/11/05 06:53 AM Re: Mixers stereo thru mono
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Why not run the module through the kn7000's INPUTS? That way, you'll hear it through the speakers even if the mixer is off!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online