SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#168948 - 11/07/04 04:09 PM Genius or what?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
My old pool-shooting buddy wrote a book. It’s called the “Green Felt Jungle.” It’s about his pool hustling life. If you’ve ever hung around a pool hall get it. It’s a blast. It does have some profanity that I don’t approve of, but if you like pool read it.

Any way to the point of this topic. About 3 or 4 years ago on a trip to New Orleans, my brother takes me to a pool hall where Humphrey (Gerald Huber, the guy who wrote the book) hangs out. We called Humphrey and he comes over to the pool hall. After a while he says, “watch this kid shoot, he’s great!” The kid is in his 20’s somewhere. I said, “ Humphrey, he can’t beat you, can he?” Humphrey says, “yes he can, we go around hustling together.” Humphrey says, “it’s amazing how these young kids learn so much faster today than we did.” I didn’t believe him.

Well, three Sundays ago in New Orleans, at the Hall Of Fame Jam Session, when the old farts got off of the stage and took a break, a young group was getting on the band stand that was hired to play a couple of hours. While this is going on, at least three of the old farts came to me and says Boo, “listen to this kid play the sax, he’s 21 and has been playing about a year and a half.” We’ll, needless to say I was quite impressed. He played “Shotgun” by Jr. Walker just like the record. He didn’t play anything but 3-chord stuff, but he did it exceptionally well. I want to hear him in 10 years especially if he gets to playing some intricate jazz stuff.

Now to put it in terms that anyone can understand, what about this kid, (I don’t even know his name) that is turning the heads of many a Coach, Pro-players and fans alike. The "rookie" quarterbacking the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Are these guys geniuses or are we all stupid?

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 11-07-2004).]

#168949 - 11/07/04 06:49 PM Re: Genius or what?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Big Ben sure took the Eagles to the cleaners today. I don't know if he's a genius, becuse the defence did their part to upset the rhythm of the birds....but I hear ya Boo - the kid's great. He's like Culpepper .... real big, and tough to bring down.
Snif, snif .... tough loss today, but hats off to a great performance by the Steelers. That's what a can of Whoopass looks like.

#168950 - 11/08/04 12:37 AM Re: Genius or what?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
http://thegreenfeltjungle.com/

I have always played lots of pool and still do almost daily. That looks like good reading. Thanks Boo.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 11-08-2004).]

#168951 - 11/08/04 06:37 AM Re: Genius or what?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I work in the technology industry, namely computer programming. Nowhere is this more prevelant than in this field. I've seen these young guys and gals come in with unbelievable skills. But, at the end of the day, they miss all the attributes years of experience can bring to the table. Like research skills, risk analysis, the big picture, etc.

I think we all started as geniuses at one point, then we became wise old codgers.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online