SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#120628 - 10/17/04 05:34 PM Yamaha Tyros 'Music Finder' Screenshot Pictures !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
On another thread, I discussed how much I like utilizing the Yamaha "Music Finder" feature when performing: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009118.html

Some respondants answered back saying they tried it but that it didn't work well for them:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I have tried the MF..its totaly useless in my act and style of playing. I rely on Registrations, Custom edited User styles, User sounds etc ...its much faster to search for Songs on the fly, using the playing style that I incorporate.

I think the reason people don't like the MFD is because they've never actually setup their own custom Music Finder database from scratch, or totally understood the benefits (keywords & search functions) and how to use it, both on and off the gig.

To give you guys a better idea of how I use the Music Finder I've included a link to my online album of some screen shots pictures (7) of my Tyros LCD screen with the Music Finder window displayed:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scottyee@pacbell.net/album?.tok=ph6Ta6BB1U4XnLqU&.dir=/c046&.src=ph

MFD-1:
This window shows all the songs in my repetoire (509) listed in alphabetical order. In addition the song title, both the 'key' of the song as well as 4 letter code are clearly displayed as well. Each of the 4 letters corresponds to each of the 4 OTS Voices stored in OTS buttons 1-4. Because the Key & transpose setting is clearly displayed, I immediately KNOW what key to play the song in as well as what transpose setting to make. "And I Love You So" is to be played in the key of C, and the 4 OTS voice settings are: 1) Harmonica 2) Elec Piano 3) Synth 4) Strings. I've found memorization of letter assignments to specific voice families to be quick and now I'm able to glance at the Music Finder Window and always know what RT voice (instrument) is assigned to each of the four OTS buttons BEFORE I actually press the associated OTS button.

Because my Music Finder Database includes most ALL of the songs in my personal song repetoire, I am able to both quickly pull up any of the songs in the database at a moments notice, and have it ready to perform within 10 seconds. Let's say a patron asks me to play "Georgia On My Mind". All I need to do is to tap the lower left arrow key (lower toggle #1 key) rapidly 7 times while I say to myself: A, B, C, D, E, F, G. This takes the Music Finder record pointer to the song titles which begin with G. I now only need to select the down arrow key next to the one previously selected, and tap it a couple of times to get to "Georgia On My Mind". The key of the song (G) appears next to the song title as well as the 4 OTS button voice abbreviations, followed by song ending number (if applicable). This Music Finder Window remains displayed while performing the song, so you can easily glance (at any time) to check which instrument voices are assigned to the 4 OTS voices before actually selecting another OTS voice or style variation. The OTS lock button can also be easily switched on/off as desired while performing.

MFD-2: This picture shows the Song Record Window where the details of each song record can be entered. I personally prefer to enter song records using Michael Bedesem's 'Music Finder View' program as it's MUCH MUCH faster & SAVES a LOT (hours) of time doing it on the computer vs via the Tyros keyboard. If you guys are interested in setting up your own custom Music Finder database of your complete song repetorie as I did, I highly recommend you use 'Music Finder View': http://www.svpworld.com/util_mfdview.htm

Keyword field. keywords must be separated by commas. You're notice in the keywords field, I included the numeral 6. Every song in my database includes a number which specifies the decade of the song. and other letters which signify (to me) something special and allows me to search on that field for a list of songs which meet specific custom criteria. For example, "W" stands for the songs I'm currently working on. You may also notice that the Style Name ends with a +. When I customize a preset style, I rename it with a plus (+) and must store it in the keyboard USER memory area for this customized style to be utilized in Music Finder. One reason I require the Tyros (instead of the PSR3000) for my playing needs is because the Tyros has a much larger USER Memory storage area to hold the amount of CUSTOM styles I need to utilize in my regular performances.

MFD-3: A view of the results of Search 2 function which lists all of my Beatles Songs.

MFD-4: My Tyros hard drive folder organizational setup

MFD-5: A peek at my Song Registration folders and P1 of songs which I utilize Registrations and the 'Registration Sequence' feature.

MFD-6: Main Window Display with 'Regist Sequnce' for song: Spanish Eyes. Notice that the registration changes (via foot pedal) are not strictly 12345678, but jump around to different registrations: 12367258.

MFD-7: A view of the Registration Detail Window for the first registration bank file of a Big Band Medley I do. This bank consists of the different instrument/voice/style vari setup for "Sentimental Journey". The entire Big Band Medley consists of multiple Registration Bank files which automatically load in succession after reaching Reg 8 of the preceding file.
The letters (AABA) signify the song section.

I hope the above pictures and descriptions help to demonstrate how you can setup the Music Finder to enhance your performance the way I have. Though I still utilize custom registrations for some songs, I find that after setting up the Music Finder the way I describe above, it makes keyboard performance a much more intuitive on the fly experience which the audience appreciates. Though I wish Yamaha would have integrated some of the workaround features I added, as well as provided Music Finder access to styles on the hard drive, the system I've developed above has made it possible to utilize the great potential of the Music Finder. I hope others here will take some time to explore the Music Finder as well and see what it can do for you. Initially, it takes some work & preparation, but I feel the rewards are well worth the effort.

PS: Another advantage of the Music Finder database is that you can search/sort & selectively print out your song repetoire list to pass out to clients & patrons.

Ok, I hope I was able to win over some 'Music Finder' converts here from all this.

Scott

#120629 - 10/17/04 06:18 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 'Music Finder' Screenshot Pictures !
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Well, I don't have one but wish I did just so I could do what you do there. That's awesome you would post something as informational as that. Cheers to you.

#120630 - 10/17/04 06:19 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 'Music Finder' Screenshot Pictures !
Dnj Offline

Scott...I have setup a total MFD of all my stage 400+ songs from scratch on my old 2k just to see if I could use it in a performance setting, but it just wasn't my cup of tea vs using the Registrations & "Easy 20" style method Dave & I utilize........I didnt like that you couldnt use the MFD for retaining KEYS and it was a pain to use & save USER styles with the MFD also.....has that changed on the Tyros/3k? If so I would give it another try for sure. Scrolling & searching that big list in real time was cumbersome also on the fly.

Honestly its all nice and pretty for YOUR style and way of playing which is fine. Thankyou for demonstrating it with pics and text....
But sorry my Asian musical keyboard brother, for me and MY style of playing the MFD is totaly useless.
But we both make beautiful music on opposit coasts and thats all that matters....
I might be the LINK master but you are the MFD master!!

Jam On

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-18-2004).]

#120631 - 10/17/04 08:01 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 'Music Finder' Screenshot Pictures !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey Scott,
You have "Any day now" listed as both an 8 beat AND a 6/8 rhythm. Which IS it?

#120632 - 10/17/04 08:31 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 'Music Finder' Screenshot Pictures !
Scottyee Offline

Thanks for catching that. It was merely a typo on my part . . . it should have read: 4/4. FYI: The 'beat' field displayed has 'no affect' on the acual '8 beat' style pattern played, and is intended only for time signature informational 'search list' purposes only. Ok Dave, just for the fun of it, I attempted to play this tune in 6/8 and found it impossible to pull off.

Back on the topic of the Music Finder subject itself, anyone else use it (or interested) in using it?

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-17-2004).]

#120633 - 10/18/04 05:41 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 'Music Finder' Screenshot Pictures !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
That's awesome you would post something as informational as that. Cheers to you.

SemiLiveMusic, many thanks for shwoing your graditude and appreciation. I truly believe that once one takes the initial time to customize & setup their own 'Music Finder' database of songs as well as implements some of the tips I outlined above, that it can help make ones stage performance more seamlessly smoother & professional. You can even setup the Music Finder to display 'custom song playlists' which allow you to select songs in a specific play order (for the entire evening) if you choose. That all said, I sincerely HOPE that Yamaha will take their MUSIC FINDER feature more seriously by adding the ability to link to USER registration files, as well as access styles and registrations stored on hard drive, and/or greatly INCREASING the "USER MEMORY" storage area (say to 10 megabytes or more) which would allow for Music Finder utilization of MANY more custom USER styles, and allowing a linked USER Registration File to pull up countless other parameters (transpose key, keyboard split point, etc) of a song. Yamaha, you guys are on the the verge of perfecting an all powerful centralized Song Managment Storage System. I challenge you to take it to the final frontier with your NEXT top of the line arranger keyboard by implementing my requests.

Scott

#120634 - 11/05/04 07:58 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 'Music Finder' Screenshot Pictures !
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Scott - I recently got a tyros which I will use in future to gig with instead of my Ketron equipment but I need to set it up first.

I've started creating registrations for songs but it's taking forever to retrieve them from floppies and I thought I might give your Music Finder System a go.

I wonder if you would be kind enough to let me have a copy of the custom database you created for me to test drive and familiarise myself with!!

I'll probably get a hard disk in future but I think the MFD approach will be better for me anyway as I like to choose from a very large repertoire of stuff.

Thanks - KFingers

#120635 - 11/05/04 08:57 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 'Music Finder' Screenshot Pictures !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KFingers:
I wonder if you would be kind enough to let me have a copy of the custom database you created for me to test drive and familiarise myself with

KFingers: I would gladly oblige, but unfortunately, the custom MFD file I created will not load properly on your keyboard because many of song records I created utilize & link (point to) 'custom styles' (30+) that are each stored in specific locations & in different subfolders of my keyboard's USER memory. When one attempts to load a Music Finder File which includes song records that point to 'missing links', it brings up a 'missing record' message.

KFingers, I suggest you use "Music Finder View" to create (on your PC) a small collection of your songs (this should take no longer than 15-30 min) , and then load it into your Tyros, replacing the Pre-loaded Music Finder file in your Tyros. Don't be afraid, because you can EASILY recall the factory one whenever you want. Keep me posted.

Scott

#120636 - 11/08/04 01:52 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 'Music Finder' Screenshot Pictures !
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Ok -Thanks Scott - I'll give that a whirl. I forgot about using the PC and Music Finder View?

I'll keep you posted.

KF

#120637 - 11/08/04 06:05 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 'Music Finder' Screenshot Pictures !
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been using the MFD since the 2000 became available, and for me it's the best thing since sliced bread (which I no longer eat). It's just one more option that can be used on the fly, and if properly set up, can be a great asset to any performance.

KF: You can download the one I use for the PSR-3000 from www.psrtutorial.com. Although it has a few custom styles involved, most of the style files are internal, which I believe will work on the Tyros as well once the file is converted using Music Finder View. In my case, the MFD is not as elaborate as Scotts, and there is a letter (A), etc...in parens which tells me the key I sing and perform the song in. I think you'll find the MFD useful, especialy if you're looking for diversity.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online