SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#168626 - 08/22/07 08:45 PM Re: Another defective PSR-S900
miden Offline

Loc: The World
i seem to recall making a post a month or so ago about rumours the s900 had some "hardware/software issues" and it was for this reason the launch was delayed...seems the rumours may have had some basis in reality...shame for those having problems, and unusual for yamaha to release a product that was not rock solid.

#168627 - 08/22/07 08:47 PM Re: Another defective PSR-S900
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
If the next unit I get is defective, I don't know what I'll do.

I'll probably get one at Guitar Center or Sam Ash and get a floor model that works. Then I will buy an extended warranty (I believe these places sell them).

Mikey's friend is the 5th defective S900 I have heard about.

Beakybird

or maybe its time for a change like Roland , Ketron, Korg, Gem, etc etc

#168628 - 08/22/07 08:52 PM Re: Another defective PSR-S900
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Received a telephone call (between gigs) earlier in the day from Larry reporting his latest S900 problem. Truly disappointing news especially after the problem with his first S900. In addition to reporting this to Sweetwater Music (place you purchased the 2nd S900 from),

Larry, I recommend contacting Yamaha USA and asking to speak to Steve Deming, head of Customer Support, about all the problems you're had:

Telephone: (714) 522-9011
Email: ycasupport@yamaha.com

Scott

#168629 - 08/22/07 08:55 PM Re: Another defective PSR-S900
Dnj Offline

Can you say "REFURBISHED?"

#168630 - 08/22/07 09:20 PM Re: Another defective PSR-S900
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I COULD say something like "Common misconception... Yamaha equals quality and performance... Don't be fooled", but that might be construed as being unkind...

But it DOES seem more and more that arranger manufacturers (even the ones always trumpeted as not 'needing' updates because they are flawless to start with ) are willing to release product before it is reliable, or with buggy OS's that need several updates before they work.

Do we have to take this, or is there something we can do?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-22-2007).]

#168631 - 08/23/07 05:09 AM Re: Another defective PSR-S900
zuki Offline

Beaky

Sorry to hear about the dissapointment you are experiencing. What a bummer to have this problem on a job. Hope it all works out for you.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#168632 - 08/23/07 05:25 AM Re: Another defective PSR-S900
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
or maybe its time for a change like Roland , Ketron, Korg, Gem, etc etc

Maybe Donny's right...it certainly can't hurt to check out the competition...

Then again, they have all been guilty of having early production issues...witness the poor old Roland G70...that one was a nightmare.

Kudos to Roland for standing behind it(it's so big and heavy, where else would they stand...certainly not under it )and correcting the problems, but no doubt it surely affected sales and left a bad taste in more than a few buyer's mouths.

Beakybird, hopefully Yamaha will do you right and clear up your frustrating issues with the S900.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#168633 - 08/23/07 08:05 AM Re: Another defective PSR-S900
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I have sold many 900's so far and have not had any customers experience anything like you are reporting. I wonder if the external midi pedal device is sending some kind of signal the 900 doesn't like.
One customer received his 900 with the connecting cable from the keyboard disconnected to the main board. This could easily been caused by shipping from California to Ohio. This was fixed by simply taking the screws out of the bottom. Another unit I shipped has a loose screw around one of the speakers......also easily fixed by the customer. That has been the only two issues I've experienced. None of the 900's i've sold has experienced any strange button or dial issues.
I've notified the proper people at Yamaha regarding the loose cable and screws. They will get this information to the factory which manufactures these in Indonesia.
As someone who sells these, I would ofcourse like to see not a single problem arise, but sometimes things like loose cable and screws are either a shipping problem or someone not fully tightening a screw or pushing a cable in far enough. The manufacturer needs to be made aware of such issues and as stated, I've notified Yamaha and I'm sure they don't take things like this lightly........ I agree with Scott. You can call Scott Deming at Yamaha. When I arrive at my store this morning, I will be calling the Product Manager as well and letting him know of your problems.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#168634 - 08/23/07 08:09 AM Re: Another defective PSR-S900
Dnj Offline

Beak.....maybe you should have bought Brand new from George Kaye & after the sale support second to none. ....I have a feeling whoever sold you these s900's could be repackaging returns which = the lower prices & their defects? Sought of a "B" stock....resulting in nightmares after the sale?

#168635 - 08/23/07 08:12 AM Re: Another defective PSR-S900
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Beakybird,

I have just done what George has already done...contacted Yamaha head office about your problems.

George may also have struck on something important as well...the external midi pedal device may be part of the problem.

The motherboard in the S900 is considerably different than the 3k's.

Good luck with everything.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online