SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#168258 - 06/18/03 03:33 PM They're back...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A couple weeks ago, I puchased a pair of Barbetta Sona 32-C's, and while both sounded great, one had less bottom end and about 30 percent lower volume. After contacting Barbetta, they suggested that I remove the amp heads from the cabinets and send them both back, which I did. It took about two weeks for the necessary modifications to match the outputs so that both were identical to the one that sounded perfect. They arrived to day, I installed them in less than 10 minutes, fired up the keyboard, and damned do they sound good.

There were two reasons I went with the Barbettas. First, they onoy weigh 36.5 pounds, which is extremely light for a 450-watt, powered speaker. Second, the Barbetta featured a 15inch, 50-ounce magnet woofer and 4X10-inch horn tweeter, which I figured would provide sufficient range from gut-thumpin' bass to the highest highs. Believe me when I tell you they do that and much more.

For those who have never heard the Sona 32-c's, I strongly suggest that you visit Donny Pesce one Thursday evening, enjoy the music and listen carefully to the beautiful sounds he sends through the system--you're really gonna' like what you hear.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#168259 - 06/18/03 04:03 PM Re: They're back...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I strongly suggest that you visit Donny Pesce one Thursday evening, enjoy the music and listen carefully to the beautiful sounds he sends through the system--you're really gonna' like what you hear.

hey Gary, in addition to hearing the Sona 32C's at Donny's Thursday nite gigs, I would expect that one could hear them at your gigs now too, right? btw: we're still anxiously waiting to see some pics of your new 'slimmed down' equipment setup.

Scott

#168260 - 06/18/03 05:51 PM Re: They're back...
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Congrats Gary, Glad to hear you got them back
& all is well, I hope they keep working, they
should Donny has not had any trouble with his.
Have fun & don't have a run away now with your
new, light rig (load).
Denny

#168261 - 06/18/03 06:10 PM Re: They're back...
Dnj Offline

Great news Gary......I have loved mine since I got them 2 years ago or so, they do the job well for me! On small gigs I just use [1]. Good Luck with them ....your back will love you for it too!

#168262 - 06/18/03 06:42 PM Re: They're back...
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks guys & gals,

I'll try to post some photos in the next week, and yes, you can come and hear me play and sing too. I just don't sing and play as good as Donny Pesce--hey, that would be a catchy tune!

Cheers,

Gary

#168263 - 06/19/03 06:15 AM Re: They're back...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary... If you don't mind, what did you pay for them? ....
PS: I'll FINALLY get to your gig disk #6 this weekend ... thanks again....
t.

#168264 - 06/19/03 10:30 AM Re: They're back...
travlin'easy Offline

Tony,
They were $1,200 plus sales tax for the pair. I got a pretty good price break on one because it was the floor model.

Cheers,

Gary

#168265 - 06/19/03 11:19 AM Re: They're back...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Donny, Gary,

OK so I forgot! The Barbetta's do not have reverb right? So, you have to have an unpowered mixer with reverb? Or do you not use reverb?

I still haven't gotten a new system yet.
Boo

#168266 - 06/19/03 01:48 PM Re: They're back...
travlin'easy Offline

The mixer on the Sona 32-C's has a three-band EQ, but no effects. However, my Digitech Vocalist-VR has a built-in reverb that is fully adjustable, therefore, I no longer need to use a mixer. Wnen I'm on a larger job, I take a pair of 32-C's with me, which provides me with four 1/4-inch line inputs, plus a mic input, and there's also an effects loop if you need it. Consequently, I can run full stereo for both the vocals and keyboard and still pack a lot less equipment. I constructed a pair of custom cables that encase three cables (power and two sheilded instrument cables) inside a wrap-around cable housing. This eliminates the maze of wires running across the floor. When everything is finished, all the cables will be custom, including the power-pack cables so that a single unit will pretty much house everything, and set-up should take no more than five minutes at most. Should have some detailed photos in a week or so.

Cheers,

Gary

#168267 - 06/19/03 01:57 PM Re: They're back...
Dnj Offline

Gary ,

sounds great....I like the harness idea nice and neat. cant wait to see the pics!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online