SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91399 - 06/17/03 03:14 PM What does the phrase "Follow your heart " mean to you?
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Non related but, since I am trying to do this with some important matters, I thought perhaps your input would give me the full meaning of this old saying.

Does this mean to you to follow your feelings on any given issue, or to follow your hearts desire? Realizing that sometimes what one wants or desires may not be the best thing to do in the "big picture".

What do you do when you have an important decision to make? How has things turned out after that?

What if there is a strong emotional charge with the issue and it's hard to sort out your thoughts and feelings?

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#91400 - 06/17/03 04:05 PM Re: What does the phrase "Follow your heart " mean to you?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Back in the 70's, I sold both my businesses and decided to be a musician.
I've made hundreds of dollars since then.
DonM

#91401 - 06/17/03 04:16 PM Re: What does the phrase "Follow your heart " mean to you?
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Don

lol

Scott

#91402 - 06/17/03 04:38 PM Re: What does the phrase "Follow your heart " mean to you?
trtjazz Offline

Scott, on the more serious side of the Q. The phrase to me means this:

In your heart (or gut feeling) which however hypothetical the concept.... it will lead you in the correct direction as opposed to making it a cerebral decision.

As everyone does in their life, I've made thousands of decisions some good some bad. I've always tried to think through the possibilities of a decision I am going to make and the consequences of it. Once I do make it, I then take responsibility for it and live with the consequences that it brings.

Some that seemed pretty dumb of me at the time worked out for the very best all around while others I would have preferred had a different outcome, but afterall that is living life isn't it?
Terry

Now on the lighter side, Don's story reminds me of the struggling musician that was interviewed and was asked, "If you won a million dollars in the lottery what would you do?" The musician thought for a moment then replied, "Well I'd keep on playing music until the money ran out."

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 06-17-2003).]

#91403 - 06/17/03 04:55 PM Re: What does the phrase "Follow your heart " mean to you?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Short answer... have fun, do music!

Now, beyond such simplicity and considering reality... no, one cannot "follow your feelings on any given issue, or to follow your hearts desire" any old time. Would be nice, but we'd all be arrested or in some kind of big trouble.

What you want is for a few impt things to be in sync. Ya know, like the bass and drums! We want our head and heart to be together. But if they were, it would be simple and you wouldn't be posing the question, right?

There's another element... similar, but totally different than heart... it's the gut! The gut (kind of like instinct) is often disregarded, but usually correct. Now you've got 3 elements - vote on it. If they don't all agree, hey, 2 outta 3 ain't bad!

If there's no tie-breaker, I'd give more weight to the heart. When it's all done and over, we won't be dwelling on those intellegent decisions we made, but rather those "from the heart" passions we embraced during this lifetime. But then, being a musician helps makes that a no-brainer.

Beat of luck, Scott... and follow your bliss!

Glenn

[This message has been edited by GlennT (edited 06-17-2003).]

#91404 - 06/18/03 05:12 AM Re: What does the phrase "Follow your heart " mean to you?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Be careful in trusting your heart. If you are anything like me .... it can fool you sometimes.
I tend to follow my heart a little too often (two failed marriages)and I'll probably do it again. It's like anyother decision - you have to weigh out all possibilities, and do what seems the best outcome with the fewest compromises. Since I got out of High School, the "black & white" details have eroded, and now EVERYthing has SOME sort of compromise. Welcome to the real world.(She said to me)

Trust your feelings, but be sure to do your homework (and prayer work) for the really important stuff. After all .... it's YOUR life.

Those of us with our hearts on our sleeves will get hurt more often, but It's better than NOT feeling the passion. I try to learn from mistakes, but I will alwys be a softy in matters of emotion.

#91405 - 06/18/03 06:38 AM Re: What does the phrase "Follow your heart " mean to you?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
To me "Follow Your Heart" means that in making a decision, my brain (?) is telling what I SHOULD do, but my heart is telling me what I really WANT to do ... As UD said, following your heart may not always be the best thing ... but I think the decisions we look back on and question were the ones where we followed our head instead of our heart, and we wonder "what would have happened if....?" But, of course, that question can be asked about any decision we make ...
Scott, you mentioned how one's desires may not be the best thing to do in the "big picture", and that is certainly something that needs to be considered.... I think too often in today's society decisions are made for what is best for ME, at this point in time ... I feel there is not enough thought given to "What affect will what I do now have in one week, year, 5 years??? ...."

Sometimes in life we make decisions for ourselves, but othertimes we have to make decisions based on our love of others ...

Ah, life ... one decision after another ... I've often wondered what life would have been like if only Eve hadn't wanted that fruit salad ... (Speaking of life altering decisions!!!) .....
I wish you the best, my friend, and may you live comfortably with the decisions you make ...
t.

#91406 - 06/18/03 07:25 AM Re: What does the phrase "Follow your heart " mean to you?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Where your heart is, there lies your talent.
That would mean: Music, gardening, survivalist.
Starkeeper

#91407 - 06/18/03 10:47 AM Re: What does the phrase "Follow your heart " mean to you?
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Follow your heart...

When all is said and done, it really means that some outcomes will be good, some will be bad...

But, one thing that will never be in doubt...they ALL will be "right"!

Angelo

#91408 - 06/18/03 08:48 PM Re: What does the phrase "Follow your heart " mean to you?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
The heart is misleading and is not reliable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online