SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#167713 - 05/09/08 10:02 AM Re: JBL's VRX 900 vs new Bose L1 Model II
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
You guys need to check out the new JBL PRX500 series of powered speakers.

I just recently switched to those and honestly they perform much better than my Mackie system ( 2 x sa1521 + Swa1501).

I also considered the Bose, and when I did a side by side comparisson between the Bose and 2 x PRX 512 + PRX 518 sub, JBL was clearly the choice.

Bose is nice for smaller audiences, but lacks that powerful sound that JBL has.

I personally think that the Bose is way overpriced for what it offers. I purchased the JBL package for $2600 , where I could have bought only one PAS system for that money.

Here is a link for the PRX series with built in CROWN amps :
http://jblpro.com/products/portablesound/prx/

#167714 - 05/09/08 10:11 AM Re: JBL's VRX 900 vs new Bose L1 Model II
hitman Offline

p.s. the PRX 512 weigh 40 lbs each , and the 18" sub is at 79 lbs.

My old Mackie system : SA1521 119lbs each and sub was at 120 lbs.

The Bose L1 / II + single Bass package is at 82.5 lbs total weight, and you need 2 packages totaling 165 lbs.

vs
JBL package at 159 lbs total.

#167715 - 05/09/08 03:31 PM Re: JBL's VRX 900 vs new Bose L1 Model II
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ahhhh... weight.

Thank God we are not comparing PA's by THD, SPL and dispersion angles. Wouldn't want to focus on what a PA does, now, would we?

How about color, next? Another REALLY important consideration in a PA...

#167716 - 05/09/08 08:52 PM Re: JBL's VRX 900 vs new Bose L1 Model II
hitman Offline

Well ,

we can compare the SPL's and THD + the dispersion angles. I can assure you that the JBL system will win!

The reason why I mentioned the weight is because most of the guys here work alone and carry their setup by themselves!

Oh by the way, JBL has a CROWN logo on the front that lights up! How cool is that!

#167717 - 05/09/08 11:17 PM Re: JBL's VRX 900 vs new Bose L1 Model II
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, the JBL line array system out-costs, outweighs and outperforms just about ANYTHING that anyone here uses. Kind of like comparing a Ferrari to a Camry. Both will get you there... you just get there sooner in the Ferrari

I can just see someone trundling in the JBL's to a NH gig...! Someone's going to get a heart attack (probably the Entertainment Director)

#167718 - 05/10/08 11:13 AM Re: JBL's VRX 900 vs new Bose L1 Model II
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
yawn......slow day, ? Nothing worthwhile to discuss?

#167719 - 05/10/08 08:31 PM Re: JBL's VRX 900 vs new Bose L1 Model II
hitman Offline

Very True DIKI!

I do play for a different audience and also a slightly different kind of music.
But, I love to drive a Ferrari!

#167720 - 05/11/08 10:05 AM Re: JBL's VRX 900 vs new Bose L1 Model II
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by gscreely:
The JBL VRX should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Bose. The JBL is a serious speaker, and bose is a joke in live PA

Gary.

I thot the same about this post until I went to his website and that changed my post here. this dude has some serious qualifications in sound reinforcement, and may very well be an asset to this forum
Welcom Gary to the synthzone, (I think)
Bebop

#167721 - 05/18/08 07:46 AM Re: JBL's VRX 900 vs new Bose L1 Model II
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well it's a nice website, but he still hasn't explained himself.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#167722 - 05/18/08 08:21 AM Re: JBL's VRX 900 vs new Bose L1 Model II
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
You guys need to check out the new JBL PRX500 series of powered speakers.

I just recently switched to those and honestly they perform much better than my Mackie system ( 2 x sa1521 + Swa1501).

I also considered the Bose, and when I did a side by side comparisson between the Bose and 2 x PRX 512 + PRX 518 sub, JBL was clearly the choice.

Bose is nice for smaller audiences, but lacks that powerful sound that JBL has.

I personally think that the Bose is way overpriced for what it offers. I purchased the JBL package for $2600 , where I could have bought only one PAS system for that money.

Here is a link for the PRX series with built in CROWN amps :
http://jblpro.com/products/portablesound/prx/

Apples and Oranges/

My 98 lb wife can load the Bose in her Spyder. carry it and set it up in 10 minutes without any help.

Now tell me where one can buy a PA that will fill a room of 300 people with Bose quality direct sound on a 180 degree plan and have preset digital scenes for different people as they join her or us as well as different EQ set ups for each room for $3000 total.

Theres the comparison that should be made when discussing the Bose System. There are a ton of heavy systems that have higher SPL, chest pounding Bass etc......But none with the sound quality, small footprint and PORTABILITY all in the same package as the Bose.

We sell and set up plenty of church systems and are Crown dealers as well. Apples and Ornages. We sell and install Mackie systems, Yamaha ,EAW. Customers could care less about THD and SPL. They want to hear the program material to their satisfaction. Same with the Bose. We recently became a dealer after I bought a system for the wife. The system sells it self. Its not for everyone. Traditionalists will not get it. Those who do "get it" understand its the combination of quality, portability, Warranty support, and personal attention one gets from Bose. Try getting all of that with any other system. You will get better sound and less portability, or more portability and compromise in sound quality, no support, Severely limited warranties, Need poles, monitors, more wiring etc......

The Bose delivers plenty in sound quality, Certainly better than a traditional Mackie set up if you are not sitting directly in front of the speakers. We have JBL MR15's and Mackie 808s PA System the Bose replaced sitting in the garage which is relegated to back up. Yeah its louder......Sometimes low and clears is better than loud ad harsh with 3/4s of the room listening to reflections of the sound off the floors and walls......and having to blow out those in front so those on the sides can hear.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-18-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online