SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#246123 - 10/25/08 03:57 PM New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi

Over the last several days I've been adding new songs to my website. This gives Chuck a chance to critique what I'm playing around with for our demo CD, as he lives 1 1/2 hours away from me.

Today I added Tequila which we did a few weeks ago for a girls night out thing. Most of the other tunes were from the first or second time we got together.

Thought you might enjoy some of the takes.
http://www.ScottLMusic.com/Chuck_Wheeler

Scott

#246124 - 10/26/08 12:35 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Scott,
I am listening right now to your songs and here a few observations:
- Tequila: I love your phrasing with the brass sounds (you once said that you played in a brass section and it clearly shows here), but I think that the overall tempo is too fast, unless you want to make a rendition in the style of Gil Evans. If you think to perform this song in public, I am afraid that few are going to dance and on the other hand it's also too "loud" to be just background music.

- Dock of the bay: I love this one and Chuck does a terrific impersonation of Otis Redding; your guitar licks are excellent, but something does not sound good with the harmony: after about 18 seconds (on "Watching the tide roll away") you apparently alternate between E and Em, while to me it would be better to alternate between G and E; true, Em and G are closely related chords, but still there is something wrong to my ears)
- Europa: I LOVE this one! Your guitar phrasing is terrific and I love also the style choosen (cuban bolero maybe?)
- Stand by me: all well, but this song is to me a clear example of the lack of punch of the Tyros drums, because it would require a snare with a lot more beef. Your rendition however (both vocal and instrumental) is as good as it can get. Once again, kudos for your guitar licks.
- Under the boardwalk: kudos to Chuck for his voice and to your for the guitar work. Once again, I think that the drums are too "bland", but this is not your fault.
- Unchained melody: your work is first class, but maybe Chuck is just tired to sing this song...

Scott, I am really impressed with what you have done and hope that you will continue to share your music with us.

#246125 - 10/26/08 12:45 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
re-reading what I have written I am left with the sensation that maybe I was over-cricitizing. The truth is that I hate long-winded posts (I usually skip them altogether when I see one), so I try always to be concise, but maybe my reply was too concise and dry.
The truth is that I loved your songs and actually have downloaded Europa to analyze in depth your guitar licks, but in my reply have tried to focus on the points I think could be improved, even if many of them simply depend on the keyboard used (you should maybe try a different Eq for the drum parts in the mixing console).
Ciao!
A.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 10-26-2008).]

#246126 - 10/26/08 12:57 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Long winded posts... don't get me started...

I simply feel, for this song, the montuņo is just not in the right mode. A different style, or simply bothering with the I-b7 thing for the verse would be better, rather than just let the one chord run...

Sometimes they work for you, sometimes against. Here, unfortunately IMO, the latter.

I'm also wary about opening up the voicing on trilled brass notes. You listen to most sections, they don't trill chords. Octaves, open chords, yes, rarely whole chords...

It's a good start, and the rhythm could work for you. But the rest of the arranger is working against you, IMO.

#246127 - 10/26/08 06:43 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Nice stuff...

I liked "Since I don't have you" the best. really nice guitar work...how did you do the echo effect?

I agree with Dreamer about the chords in Dock...Go to an E, not an Em in the chorus...

I have tried to find a style for Tequila, but haven't found one that I think is workable for the essence of the tune. We both play T2's and what they give us, IMO is too much off a stretch to work for me.

Question: Tequila, Dock, Don't know why and Boardwalk all seemed faster tempos than I'd take them for dancing crowds. Are you playing for dancers or a different kind of thing?

You're guitar work is almost "Mason-esque"...

Keep it coming, Scott...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 10-26-2008).]

#246128 - 10/26/08 06:59 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You're guitar work is almost "Mason-esque"...

Wow, I'm flattered! I enjoyed the songs, but agree I would like some of the tempos a little slower. Great work, and thanks for sharing.
DonM

#246129 - 10/26/08 08:47 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Scott! Great work neighbor! You and Chuck sound GREAT! I listened to the entire set, including the demo medley - very nice!

I couldn't recognize the styles you used on Europa or Sunshine of My Life. Can you share which styles you used?

Keep up the great work - and if you're giggin over here let me know and I'll come feed your tip jar!!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#246130 - 10/26/08 09:16 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott, you did good. I put my speakers up high closed my eyes and pictured being in a large dance hall filled with people and you came through. It sounded as close to real as you can get. The Yamaha brass really stood out front.
(Tequila)

John C.

#246131 - 10/26/08 10:52 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey Bro' Scott!

Finally got the chance to listen to your latest tunes. Like the ENERGY & what you did with Tequila . . . and I can hear the fun you had doing it. yeah !

Terrific vocal/guitar on Dock Of the Bay. I perform this one a lot myself (it's a SF signature song afterall). Assuming that Andrea's referring to the Em (instead of G) played on "Tide" in watching the tide roll away, I actually LIKE that you did that, evoking a fittingly sadder feel on that word. Thanks for the idea.

In closing, a terrfic captured live song set. Next best thing to seeing your act in person.

oh almost forgot: Drum mix & timbre sound really good to me, especially cuz you don't want them to over dominate. You and Chuck are the STARS of the show afterall .

Scott Yee

------------------
Scott Yee Entertainment

#246132 - 10/26/08 12:50 PM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Dnj Offline

Scott thank you for posting your work ....
I too have to agree that although well done Tequila was a bit too quick for dancing to this all time classic mambo.
I find that if these SA voices are not utilized precisely correct when played they do tend to sound Non Authentic. Sometimes LESS is more with these sounds. I enjoyed your other songs very much & wish you both good luck in the trenches gigging!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online