SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16730 - 08/02/00 04:12 PM Korg or Roland
Kyle5486 Offline

Loc: Farmington, Kentucky, USA
I am looking to buy a sound module. I have it narrowed down to 3 choices. The Roland JV1010 and the Korg X5DR or the Korg NX54. I am going to be performing live with a band. I, in particular, would like nice acoustic piano, e-piano, strings, and synth sounds. I need it to be able to do splits and layers and keep them in it's memory even after you turn it off. Being able to record and save performances and play them back live would be nice too. Which do you think is the right module for me.
I would appreciate non-biased answers. Thank you very much.

#16731 - 08/02/00 08:32 PM Re: Korg or Roland
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If you don't have any PC experience with editing, the JV1010 will be a little strange to you. The Korgs ar eeasier to set up splits and layers from the front panel. The X5DR has lousy acoustic pianos. The Roland pianos are the best, if that's important to you

------------------
Uncle Dave

#16732 - 08/03/00 05:08 PM Re: Korg or Roland
Kyle5486 Offline

Loc: Farmington, Kentucky, USA
Can they both record performances and then play them back for live performance and can the Roland do splits?

[This message has been edited by Kyle5486 (edited 08-03-2000).]

#16733 - 08/03/00 10:18 PM Re: Korg or Roland
Uncle Dave Offline

Yup! THe only trick is - you need a PC to edit the JV1010 with any ease. They give you the software, though.

------------------
Uncle Dave

#16734 - 08/03/00 11:44 PM Re: Korg or Roland
Renny Offline

Loc: Russia, UR, Glazov
Hey guys, what are you talking about? There is no seriuous gear in the pieces you're discussing, they were the best at their time, but now's the time to look at the new things. Uncle Dave why don't you tell about the Tr-Rack? If you haven't heard them I'm glad to say that with 32 MB of RAM onboard it sounds extra-super-...-exelent. Please note that its pianos, EPs, organs are not the same as the Trinity's an Tritons, they sounds much better IMHO. And such powerfull multi-effect processor you can find in the Trinity - Triton series only! I own it since a year beginning and I can't stop wondering how nice are its sounds and how much it can do. When you get it you'll forget any JV's, X5's, NX's etc.
I got the new one for $850 here in Russia, and I think it's no price for this beast.
Cheers!

#16735 - 08/10/00 06:15 AM Re: Korg or Roland
frankc Offline

Loc: Copenhagen East
In fact the X5 series can be tweaked to produce a much improved piano tone. If you are willing to use a PC or Mac to program it, with the Korg Editor program, you can find excellent patches on the Korgy Park site. I have a 'Stereo Piano' programmed from the 'Piano 16' sound which is waaaaay better than the yucky presets.

------------------
Etcetera prog rock: http://users.cybercity.dk/~dko4342/

#16736 - 08/10/00 08:28 AM Re: Korg or Roland
Uncle Dave Offline

Kyle asked about 3 specific units. I commented on them. I'm not blown away by the Tr series, anyway. Korg has it's own "special" flavor and many people love it, but I'm not a big fan, in general. I think pianos are always a priority, and so far Korg has always come up short of MY desires. Basses, drums, synths etc - everybody has them down to a science now - I need good pianos, or I can't use it. Triton doesn't cut it.

------------------
Uncle Dave

#16737 - 08/14/00 05:21 PM Re: Korg or Roland
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my 10 year experience with different synths,samplers & drum machines, I discover that every manufacturer have it's "own sound". Kyle5486 should look for Korg synth, rather than Roland, 'cos Roland have more "synth & analogue" sound. It's fast, sharp and if I may say "agressive". Korg's got soft & clean sounds (strings,e-pianos,etc) and soft analogue sounds (Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, J.M.Jarre; you'll have to made it on your own). Try with an older synth such is Korg 01/W. It have all what you need (splits with up to 8 sounds together) and all of the patches (200) are user definable, so you can change all sounds anytime you want, not only 128 as on other synths. If you like to play with your synth, soon you'll discover that any synth could be timeless. In fact, inspiration & your unique sound (even strings or piano or e-piano) makes your music special. Or,if you can, buy Korg as well as Roland. You won't be sorry. That's my opinion, but finally it's your decision: go to music store and listen every synth. Get one which most pleased you with sound that you need.
And to pianos: nothing is real as the "real thing" is.

#16738 - 09/16/00 03:19 PM Re: Korg or Roland
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
I think pmc is on the right track. The sounds you use are ultimately up to your own ears, but as with a lot of electronic equipment, the design team's ethic/priorities DO kind of reveal themselves over time. Its the interesting blend that makes Korg & Roland presets really pop out at you, whereas many other synths are more hit-or-miss. Not to dis Kawai, for instance, but their synths, though useful, have rarely been all that populist anyway. That's just the esoterica of synth design for ya.
Also...piano patch quality is always a big topic, but the truth is that aside from the real thing or perhaps the GigaSampler, "real" piano is a silly grail. One can always find fault with the nature of the attacks or the short tails or what have you. Be aware of your environment. Nobody has ever asked me when I played live "don't you have a piano wave with a more solid midrange and better resonance characteristics than that?" Unless I was sitting under 2 fancy Neumann mics in a $1200-an-hour pro studio with a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand in front of me, what's the diff? I started on piano, I grok the debate, but don't pucker unduly over it.
Best compromise: double/split the piano waves you have for added oomph and tweak the effects thereof or land something fairly satisfying like the very crisp Oberheim MiniGrand module. Aside from polyphony isues for Rachmaninoff freaks who would choke a mere 32-voice machine to death, you'll get a musical sound. If you hit the studio, use their big ol' sampler if you like, but don't split hairs to your own detriment. I now HAVE a viable piano sound to use, plus the additional universe that came along with it; 6 years ago I had no instrument at all for a time. AHEM! Perspective, guys.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online