SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#167094 - 09/21/06 06:19 AM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Scott,

I meant say, Wav Rom size of the existing facotry preset voices...

Tyros 2 is supposed to be over 300meg. any one know what the PA 800 is??

#167095 - 09/21/06 01:48 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
ptram Offline

Hi Scott,

Quote:
...I had hoped for better than 384 TPQN (aka: ppq)

Well, at 1.3ms per pulse, let me say that 384ppq is not exactly "low resolution"... We can improve on that, but is it worth the additional computation resources needed?

As for your other question, we usually don't publish this kind of information, since it has very little relevance on the quality and usability of the instrument.

This same philosophy applies to the PCM ROM memory. More megabytes does not always mean a higher quality. Furthermore, some of our competitors like to play with numbers, for example publishing measurements in Megabits, instead of MegaBytes, and we don't like this kind of PR tricks. So, we prefer our potential customers decide with their ears, instead of doing some kind of math.

Best regards,
Paolo

#167096 - 09/21/06 02:18 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well said Paulo, and thanks for monitoring this forum and for commenting. Any time table for the PA800 shipping to the U.S.?
Thanks,
DonM

#167097 - 09/21/06 07:47 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by ptram:
Well, at 1.3ms per pulse, let me say that 384ppq is not exactly "low resolution"...

Paulo. though I agree, and certainly commend Korg's recent improvement of 384ppq seq midi note resolution on the PA1X, considering the FACT that a midi sequencer's ppq note resolution is compartively similar to a (in photographic terms) 'two' vs 'seven plus' megapixel camera, or standard resolution vs Hi-DEFINITION TV, it remains interesting to ponder the question why/how Yamaha is able to include a whopping 1192ppq on even its mid-budget line PSR3000's onboard sequencer. The fact is: the finer (higher the number) the sequencer note resolution is, the more accurately its able to capture your live playing timing nuances, and that's a GOOD thing. Though you may not consciously hear the difference, it can be felt & appreciated by a diserning musician.

Quote:
We can improve on that, but is it worth the additional computation resources needed?

YES. Of course it is. Once keyboard owners become aware of the benefits of improved midi sequencer resolution, and how important it is for achieving midi recording timing accuracy, they'll appreciate & expect better higher (finer) sequencer resolution.

Much as if 'Camera Manufacterer A" refused to keep up with current technology by continuing to only offer 2 megapixel resolution on their 'top of the line' model cameras, while their camera manufacterer competition moved on offering 7+ mexapixel cameras at the same price: I suspect 'Camera Manufacterer A" would soon be out of business.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 09-21-2006).]

#167098 - 09/21/06 09:24 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Paolo
thank you for the link to the korg website.
The korg members in my Making Styles group will no doubt appreciate the styles etc available for download.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:

]www.korgpa.com[/url] web site.

Best regards,
Paolo

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#167099 - 09/22/06 03:04 AM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Korg already have great sounds,hardware,VH,look.

Now the problem - styles,fills - if they can only get Yammy guys to do the job.

and another big problem- OS layout that they refuse to change- needing to press shift (a/b)button if you want to select styles/sounds.(say from 8 beats to latin(bossas) need to press an additional button to go to that style page(same is true for the sound layout) .

Korg continues the path of good sounding workstation type Kb with OK arranger functions.

But even after good sounding great priced PA50,OS mistakes like that should be corrected to beat the competition(YAMAHA).

Since YAM has easier layout for instant play/control for the ARRANGER player,they got more users and their 3#rd party support grows(something that Roland and Korg can't compete).

YAMMY can still get away with cheap hardware and not so great (majority of sounds- not discussing about T2)since their OS and styles(simple yet effective ,which can cover many songs,and smooth fills that do not over standout from the styles,(not to mention pads that can play/record LOOPS(relatively new feature only for PAx series-now also with 800 I guess) ,(style drum mix in playing back of SMFs which is a great feature that KORG lacks)-in mid priced like 1500 and 3000 (with are around/near price range of PA-50). Mid and high priced YAMMIES are aimed toward THE TARGET-

"THE ARRANGER PLAYER IN A SOLO ACT,
who will buy a KB which can provide must-haves for him ;the styles,fills,OS,storage,ease of use,3rd party styles and weight against better sequencer,hardware,overall sounds(subjective).

just a thought.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 09-22-2006).]

#167100 - 09/22/06 09:30 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm impressed with the initial reports of this arranger, but I guess the real deal will come if Korg decide to incorporate many of the PA800 new features in a new version of the PA1X, now getting a bit long in the tooth.

I guess we'll have to wait until they ship to find out the actual figures, but the though of a USB 2 equipped sampler has me all jazzed up. I've done a fair bit of work with the Triton sampler option, and found it to be pretty friendly about importing Akai keymaps, on the whole, and I LOVE how, after you've imported a keymap, you can easily replace the on-board keymap of a sound with the sample keymap, and this will take care of 75% of the voice programming too.

So, in other words, if you import an Akai format acoustic guitar, you replace the on-board acoustic guitar's keymap with the import, all the envelopes, LFO's velocity curves, and effects routings are already done, all that's left is a bit of tweaking (with any luck!) and you're done. Boo-yaaaaah!

Plus, I'm pretty impressed with the PA800's acoustic piano sound. First Korg other than dedicated piano 'boards that impressed me at all. Can't wait to hear the Purgatory Creek file though it..........

#167101 - 09/22/06 11:17 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi All
Looks good, particularly as at the recent Keyboard Festival the PA1X was still up there with the likes of Roland’s E80 and the Tyros 2.
A couple of points to note though, “USB2 Hi Speed” this term was used a lot on computer peripherals when USB 2 came out, and the only thing it meant was that it would not interfere with other USB 2 devices, the port and/or the peripheral itself still ran at USB 1.1 speed. (Normally when you plug a USB 1.1 device into the same port controller as a USB 2 device the speed of all devices (Even USB 2) is reduced to USB 1.1 speed. (USB 2 Hi Speed prevented this)
The fact that the PA800 has both USB 1.1 and USB 2 Hi Speed would indicate that this is actually what is happening with the Korg. (We will have to wait and see)
Regarding Akai samples, the increase in memory is great, but still quite low, (No mention of expansion) for loading the real high quality samples. (Some of the Akai samples I have in my Wersi Abacus are close on 50Mb in size)
However as they say. “If the Price is Right”
Enjoy whatever you play.

Bill

#167102 - 09/25/06 06:09 AM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
The Korg PA 800 will be available for sale at 2190 euros in October-November in Italy.
Details here.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online