Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#167084 - 09/16/06 05:58 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by ptram:
yes, the jazz style rootless chord voicing recognition is definitely there.

The acoustic piano sample is different than the one in the Pa1X, and is derived from the new sample made for the SP-250, C-520 and C-720 digital pianos.[/URL] web site.

hi Paolo. Many thanks for the quick reply. The PA800 is SOUNDING more & MORE attractive to me by the minute. Really enjoyed the IMPRESSIVE demos. As a former Korg Synth owner (707 & O1W/FD) I admit to missing Korg's signature progressive sounding sounds & styles on the T2. In addition, it appears the PA800 includes a USB 2.0 port for much faster data tramission than T2 (USB 1.0). I can't wait now for the PA800 to finally hit the stores and test drive this baby in person. In the meantime, another question:

Realizing the PA800 includes a 'color' TOUCH SCREEN, are you able to optionally call things up on the screen from buttons and/or scroll wheel, or limited to selecting via touching the screen only Thanks. - Scott

#167085 - 09/16/06 08:32 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
USB 2.0? Are you sure, Scott?

FINALLY.......!!

If the sampler loads at USB2 speeds, this would be an incredible boost in the effectiveness of an on board sampler. Currently, most hardware samplers top out at about 1MB/sec load time, so 64MB would take about a minute (give or take) to load.

But USB2? Theoretically it could load that much in about 10 sec or less. THAT would be revolutionary....... (especially if it would load without interrupting the sound engine).

#167086 - 09/16/06 10:05 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
USB 2.0? Are you sure, Scott?

Dikki: Here's exactly what it STATES on page 304 of the Korg P800 User Manual :

Connections
USB: 2 Host (2.0 HI Speed) and 1 Device (1.1 Full Speed)

Scott

#167087 - 09/17/06 02:09 AM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
ptram Offline

Scott,

Quote:
it appears the PA800 includes a USB 2.0 port for much faster data tramission

Actually, two of them. You get two USB 2.0 ports for connecting external devices (like an USB pendrive or hard disk), plus a single USB 1.1 port for connecting to a computer.

Quote:
Realizing the PA800 includes a 'color' TOUCH SCREEN, are you able to optionally call things up on the screen from buttons and/or scroll wheel, or limited to selecting via touching the screen only

In general, you must first touch something in the screen, then use either the screen or the scroll wheel to changes values. In some cases, like when choosing Styles or Sounds in auto Select mode, you might not use the screen.

Best regards,
Paolo

[This message has been edited by ptram (edited 09-17-2006).]

#167088 - 09/19/06 12:42 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Frostbyte Offline

Loc: World Citizen
Hey - what is everybody doing over here!?!?

We have our own Korg section now. I was over there wondering why no-one was even talking about the Pa800...

Now I see everyone is over here.

- Frost

#167089 - 09/19/06 07:52 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
you must first touch something in the screen, then use either the screen or the scroll wheel to changes values.

Grrrr......... I don't care for those touch screens. No, I don't !

#167090 - 09/19/06 10:21 PM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Scottyee Offline

Thanks Paolo for your answers. Odd to learn that while the USB to removeable device (memory stick) speed is hi speed 2.0, the PA800's USB to host connector to PC remains a slow 1.0 USB speed. I'm baffled why Korg couldn't simpy incorporate USB 2.0 throughout, affording faster transfer, and backup of files from the PA800 HD to/from PC.

Though I'm disappointed that it appears there is no alternative to pressing the touchscreen itself, if the touch screen accuracy is improved over prior kb touchscreen makes/models, I'm hoping the PA800's higher screen resolution, brightness, and the fact that it's color will compensate for it.

Hope you guys don't mind another IMPORTANT Korg PA800 Question:

What is the PA800's onboard Sequencer's maximum ppq (parts/quarter note) resolution? Oddly enough I could find NO MENTION of this important spec in the PA800 User's Manual.

A keyboard's onboard sequencer's maximum (ppq) resolution directly affectd how accurately an original midi performance recorded is reproduced when played back. My Tyros2's sequencer supports a maximum resolution of 1,920 ppq, yet the Korg 01W/FD synth I owned years ago only supported a maximum of 96 ppq, of which (to my ears) is not good enough to accurately capture the spark of the original performance, including subtle expressive playing nuances. I hope that the PA800, supports a much higher maximum (unquantized) sequencer resolution than a mere 96 ppq.

Thanks in advance for any information on what the PA800's Sequencer maximmum ppq 'timing resolution' is.

Scott

PS: here a couple of other threads I posted on this topic several years ago:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/001438.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/000069.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/002354.html

#167091 - 09/21/06 01:00 AM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
ptram Offline

Scott,

Pa1X's internal sequencer's resolution is 384 TPQN (ticks per quarter note).

Best regards,
Paolo

[This message has been edited by ptram (edited 09-21-2006).]

#167092 - 09/21/06 04:20 AM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
this machine sounds very impressive. i love the punchy dance music

any one know what the exact total WAV rom is ??

Nick

#167093 - 09/21/06 05:35 AM Re: PA800 - New PA from KORG
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Pa1X's internal sequencer's resolution is 384 TPQN (ticks per quarter note).

Hi Paolo, many thanks. Because the finer the sequencer resolution (higher the number) the more accurate the midi recording is able to capture the nuances of the original performance, I had hoped for better than 384 TPQN (aka: ppq), but at least glad that Korg has finally (with the PA1X) seen fit to finally substantially improve their seq resolution from the dismal 96 ppq seen in their earlier keyboards.

Paolo. Where (in the PA1X PDF Users manual?) might I find this 384 TPQN spec listed? I trust that the PA800's seq resolution to be the same or possibly better? Interestingly enough, I'm not able to locate the PA800's sequencer resolution (ppq/tpqn) specification mentioned anywhere in the PA800 Users PDF manual.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
any one know what the exact total WAV rom is ?

Sampling: Record, edit, time slice, load/import, export - PCM RAM Memory: 64MB standard.

I only assume this internal memory is fixed memory and can't be expanded. Perhaps someone here might be able to verify this.

I've got to admit, having listened to the demos & reading its specs, and assured that it includes jazz style (rootless) chord voicing recognition as the PA1x does, the Korg PA800 HEADS my 'next keyboard' addition acquisition list.

Scott

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online