SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16654 - 07/05/99 12:52 PM Korg M1 Breakdown
PeteS2 Offline

Loc: Summit, NJ
Has anyone had this problem? I was working on a song in sequencer mode performing pattern copy. Suddenly, the memory jumped from 45% to 15% and the pattern play/rec would not work. Worse, the whole sequence would not work. And when I went to program mode the sounds would not work and the readout showed alien squiggles instead of the usual stuff. I eventually solved the problem by reloading the original factory programs from a card, but I'm now worried about the machine's dependability. I lost all of my work on the song, although the sequncer seems to be working fine. The Korg help line suggested a low battery problem, but I never got a low battery message. I've been waiting for one for the last eight years, and it's never shown up.

#16655 - 07/06/99 05:19 AM Re: Korg M1 Breakdown
Ward Music Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
The 'low battery' warning indicator is tempermental on the M1, and many people never get a warning before they lose everything. You were lucky to have a backup of the factory patches. The battery is supposed to last only 5-7 years, so I would say REPLACE IT!

It's really quite a simple job, done with a CR-2032 lithium battery, available at any camera or battery place. Depending upon the age of your M1, you might have to unscrew a circuit board to get at the battery holder.

Please note that everything inside the M1 can be zapped by static electricity, so ground your self silly and don't go poking around with any large metal objects!

If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, your local music store or Korg service center can do it.

- Unplug the M1.
- Pull out all audio, MIDI and pedal cables and any cards that might be in the back (OR TOP!) of the board.
- Flip it over on its back on a soft surface.
- Undo the kazillion screws on the bottom of the board, taking note of each screw's location. You don't need to undo the feet.
- Lift off the metal bottom panel and set it aside.
- Look for a round, silver watch-type battery, about 3/4" round. Push the battery on the side held by the plastic tabs and it should slide to the side and out. Replace with the new battery, taking note of the polarity, big side (+) up.

- reassemble and re-load the factory patches.

OR...

- If you don't see it on one of the circuit boards facing you, then you'll have to do a boardectomy of the sound generator circuit board.

- Locate the circuit board that connects to the program card slot on the top on the M1.
- Undo the screws securing the circuit board, including the two that go into the plastic program card slot.
- carefully turn the board over and *viola!* there's the battery!
- Replace battery, watching the polarity.
- Reassemble and re-load the patches

Steve Martin
Ward Music

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online